Author Topic: Anyone suffer from severe anxiety or depression?  (Read 2787 times)  

Offline chumlychums

• View Profile
Anyone suffer from severe anxiety or depression?
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:54:29 am »
I find writing, proofreading and reading does help. I have been reading and in the morning and writing at night and it has helped me tremendously.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    Re: Anyone suffer from severe anxiety or depression?
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:03:29 am »
    This is a writer's group. Virtually everybody suffers from severe anxiety or depression. At least some of the time.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:47:14 pm »
    Lack of consistent B vitamins can lead to depression. Especially B12. Just saying.

Offline lea_owens

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
    I think it is one of the common symptoms of being a writer. If you are sensitive and empathetic enough to be able to create alternate realities filled with realistic people in your novels, you are also more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in your reactions to this life's input. It's not a given, but there is a bit of a trend. To write, you tend to remove yourself from others - so even if you are a really social happy person, your chosen career of writing can make you withdraw from a lot of that.

Also, our posture while writing is conducive to developing anxiety. Growing up, my generation were often told about the importance of posture, "sit up, shoulders back, straighten that spine, head up", and, in fact, there have been recent studies that indicate that our posture influences our character as much, if not more, than our character influences our posture. So, adopting the posture of a confident, happy, bold person (the sit up, shoulders back, etc, looking life in the eye, standing with arms akimbo in a Superman pose) helps shy, withdrawn, anxious people to become more confident, and it works the other way. So our posture while writing tends to be the posture of an anxious, withdrawn person - hunched over, folding in on ourselves, eyes down, protecting our torso region by having our hands in front typing. Consequently, that posture tends to make us more anxious and withdrawn. If you are by nature anxious, or feel that since writing you have become more so, whenever you take a break from writing, stand up, adopt that classic Superman pose (arms akimbo, head up, shoulders back, etc) and do it every time you walk into a new room - so, go to the kitchen to make coffee, and enter, stand like Superman for five seconds, then continue, same in the bathroom, bedroom, etc. Now, it sounds ridiculous, but it genuinely helps some of the anxiety our writing posture builds up.

Also - bad gut health and the lack anti-inflammatories are a huge percentage of all our physical and mental health issues. So, pro-biotics, pre-biotics (fibre - the stuff your gut bugs want to eat... pretty much, if it makes you fart, it's something they love), sauerkraut, yoghurt, vegetables, raw vegetables, fruit, and make up a brew of golden paste (just turmeric boiled with water and then coconut oil and cracked pepper added) and have half a teaspoon of that a day. Give the golden paste to your cat and dog as well - it makes them smell like cat pee until they adjust, but it adds years to their lives. If you have an aged dog that is beginning to creep around, after two days of golden paste, they'll be bouncing again - brilliant stuff. Tastes like crap to get down, but worth it.

Leanne Owens

Offline RD

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »
    Lack of consistent B vitamins can lead to depression. Especially B12. Just saying.

This along with Vitamin D and Magnesium helps my significant other greatly.

It's important to think of your body as something that requires certain vitamins and mineral to function properly, the brain is no different and if you're someone who doesn't give your mind what it needs, expect problems to arise. It's not the cure for everyone of course.

Offline Bixso

• Los Angeles, California (USA)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:29:09 pm »
    I do. I've mentioned this on kboards before. I also have autism and OCD. But I manage somehow.
    Broadcast (The Celluloid Closet Series #3): 75%
    Other links
    Twitter | Youtube (Author Channel) | Youtube (Second Channel)

Offline VisitasKeat

• Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 09:02:52 am »
    I think it is one of the common symptoms of being a writer. If you are sensitive and empathetic enough to be able to create alternate realities filled with realistic people in your novels, you are also more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in your reactions to this life's input. It's not a given, but there is a bit of a trend. To write, you tend to remove yourself from others - so even if you are a really social happy person, your chosen career of writing can make you withdraw from a lot of that.

Also, our posture while writing is conducive to developing anxiety. Growing up, my generation were often told about the importance of posture, "sit up, shoulders back, straighten that spine, head up", and, in fact, there have been recent studies that indicate that our posture influences our character as much, if not more, than our character influences our posture. So, adopting the posture of a confident, happy, bold person (the sit up, shoulders back, etc, looking life in the eye, standing with arms akimbo in a Superman pose) helps shy, withdrawn, anxious people to become more confident, and it works the other way. So our posture while writing tends to be the posture of an anxious, withdrawn person - hunched over, folding in on ourselves, eyes down, protecting our torso region by having our hands in front typing. Consequently, that posture tends to make us more anxious and withdrawn. If you are by nature anxious, or feel that since writing you have become more so, whenever you take a break from writing, stand up, adopt that classic Superman pose (arms akimbo, head up, shoulders back, etc) and do it every time you walk into a new room - so, go to the kitchen to make coffee, and enter, stand like Superman for five seconds, then continue, same in the bathroom, bedroom, etc. Now, it sounds ridiculous, but it genuinely helps some of the anxiety our writing posture builds up.

Also - bad gut health and the lack anti-inflammatories are a huge percentage of all our physical and mental health issues. So, pro-biotics, pre-biotics (fibre - the stuff your gut bugs want to eat... pretty much, if it makes you fart, it's something they love), sauerkraut, yoghurt, vegetables, raw vegetables, fruit, and make up a brew of golden paste (just turmeric boiled with water and then coconut oil and cracked pepper added) and have half a teaspoon of that a day. Give the golden paste to your cat and dog as well - it makes them smell like cat pee until they adjust, but it adds years to their lives. If you have an aged dog that is beginning to creep around, after two days of golden paste, they'll be bouncing again - brilliant stuff. Tastes like crap to get down, but worth it.
    Superb advice! 8)

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:54:19 pm »
    There are many things that work for different people. I like yoga and meditation.

But if you have severe mental health issues, the most important thing is to get diagnosed by a professional, then seek treatment (meds + therapy work best in combination). Especially if you feel overwhelmed to the point where you have difficulty functioning and/or think of hurting yourself.

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline EmberKent

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
      • Ember Editing
    « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:25:57 am »
    Yup.

I don't find that work helps, though. At least not during the bad moments. Participating in fulfilling work can help establish a relatively stable baseline. But when it gets bad, work just makes it that much worse to contend with.

Mind, my mental health is largely due to my physical health, so that plays a part. The "bad moments" usually mean my work ethic has been demolished and left behind for dead because I'm simply in too much pain, so it makes sense that working wouldn't be a big help. Something recreational like reading also gets set aside as my mind is too preoccupied with stress.

Be wary of advice. Many anecdotes will make you worse instead of better, and discovering what works is entirely a personal journey.

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:24 am »
     ???  Just.All.The.Time.

Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Offline Ancient Lawyer

• UK
    • The Girl from the Sea
      • View Profile
      • shamansland
    « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 05:13:27 pm »
    Yes, me too. Ive got OCD and various other problems. I find writing helpful, but if Im unwell the writing tends to go, along with everything else.

Jessica Rydill | blog | Facebook | Spec Fic Showcase

Offline dm_pb_tx

• Eastern Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 12:53:04 pm »
    I am depressed often.  Some of this has to do with being the care provider for my wife, who apparently hates me most of the time.  It also makes finding the time to write problematic.  I feel I need larger stretches of time to get any real writing done and I am interrupted all of the time.  Also, I take an antidepressant.  If anyone else out there takes something for depression, have you noticed that it can kill your creativity?  I was taking Celexa and that was killing my muse, then switched to Wellbutrin which worked much better.  I wish I could stop it altogether, but my situation is just plain and simple, depressing.

Offline Bixso

• Los Angeles, California (USA)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 08:19:58 pm »
    I'm about to rant, so if that's not your thing, I would ignore this post please. Today I had one of those days to where I really hate having anxiety as a writer.

I'm thinking of just sticking to writing at home, because people in public get on my damn nerves.

I was doing some writing in public at a coffee shop today, and had a major anxiety attack, and was unable to write as much as I wanted to.

Then people here in LA are so stuck up, and nobody asks if you're fine or want to help you. I struggle making friends and I don't have any family support or a partner. I turned to writing for the damn opposite, so maybe I can network and collaborate with people. The hell was I thinking?

Maybe if I have a clique or a group or a companion, I wouldn't mind being in public as much, but wow. I hate being alone, and trying to do my own agendas without stressing myself out.

I hate being black and gay and single sometimes, and I'm 28, I'm angry, I have an identity crisis. I'm a writer that's mentally ill. I don't know.

Rant over.
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:23:59 pm by Bixso »
    Broadcast (The Celluloid Closet Series #3): 75%
    Other links
    Twitter | Youtube (Author Channel) | Youtube (Second Channel)

Offline Doktor von Zwitter

• Oregon
    • Mad Scientist
      • View Profile
      • In the Mind of L.R. Deney
    « Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
    I have bipolar disorder and anxiety. I find writing helps me with that also. That and medication.
    War is Hell: 44%

The Ugly Crystal: 16%
    Don't mind me, I'm just crazy.
    L.R Deney | In the Mind of L.R. Deney

Offline ccruz

• View Profile
      • The Editing Sweetheart
    « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 09:23:48 pm »
    I get anxious over really silly things, like worrying my apartment will flood from a burst pipe while I'm not there. I have to take Xanax or Clonopin for that, or I'll get a full-blown panic attack. And I suffer from depression as well, but that's a whole other issue.
    I'm on Abilify and Wellbutrin right now, but my doc is constantly adjusting my meds because they'll stop working all of a sudden.
    Copyeditor and Proofreader - www.theeditingsweetheart.com

Offline Siriusly

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 01:50:13 am »
    Yikes! Talk about finding my home!  :P

Writing has most likely saved my life.

Offline Siriusly

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:05 am »
    I'm about to rant, so if that's not your thing, I would ignore this post please. Today I had one of those days to where I really hate having anxiety as a writer.

I'm thinking of just sticking to writing at home, because people in public get on my damn nerves.

I was doing some writing in public at a coffee shop today, and had a major anxiety attack, and was unable to write as much as I wanted to.

Then people here in LA are so stuck up, and nobody asks if you're fine or want to help you. I struggle making friends and I don't have any family support or a partner. I turned to writing for the damn opposite, so maybe I can network and collaborate with people. The hell was I thinking?

Maybe if I have a clique or a group or a companion, I wouldn't mind being in public as much, but wow. I hate being alone, and trying to do my own agendas without stressing myself out.

I hate being black and gay and single sometimes, and I'm 28, I'm angry, I have an identity crisis. I'm a writer that's mentally ill. I don't know.

Rant over.

I have a love/hate relationship with Los Angeles. People who 'suck' exist everywhere, definitely not exclusive to LA. I will agree with you that some people can be utterly self-absorbed, however, I have met some phenomenal human beings in LA. I had to weed through the poop to find the gems.

Offline Scott Reeves

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 03:02:48 pm »
    I don't have anxiety. Anxiety has me. By the balls. And depression is hunting me down like I'm John Connor.

Scott Reeves

Offline Scott Reeves

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 03:08:05 pm »
    It's important to think of your body as something that requires certain vitamins and mineral to function properly, the brain is no different and if you're someone who doesn't give your mind what it needs, expect problems to arise.

No offense intended, but I highly doubt that lack of proper nutrition is the source of my life-long existential crisis.

Scott Reeves

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 04:28:56 pm »
    I used to, but I'm much better these days.

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:30:01 am »

I have a love/hate relationship with Los Angeles. People who 'suck' exist everywhere, definitely not exclusive to LA. I will agree with you that some people can be utterly self-absorbed, however, I have met some phenomenal human beings in LA. I had to weed through the poop to find the gems.

Perhaps the coldness exists up and down the West Coast. Although most people I've met who are from California are outgoing and friendly.

May depend on the metro or region?

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:35 am »
    I probably have dealt with varying levels of depression my whole adult life. Anxiety -- not so much. St. John's has helped me when depression hits (the supplement, not the city in Newfoundland -- although I've read that St. John's is a great place). Writing may or may not help in my case, as does music.

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 08:13:55 am »
    Yeah, anxiety started when I was just a kid back in Canada; part of my nature, unfortunately, to be a worrier, but  aggravated into a disorder by the hell that was school. Writing was a huge escape for me; I remember my sister saying a few years back that it probably saved me from going off the rails totally. As it was, I had the self-esteem of a squashed slug and was body dysmorphic till my 30's. I then improved in many ways but due to other circumstances started having occasional severe panic attacks out of the blue, which got out of control after I had weird, freaky health problems that no doctor seemed able to identify. The attacks went away, then suddenly popped back up for no reason I could fathom some 5-6 years later. I went to a hypnotherapist who helped immensely. I do have a supply of beta blockers if I feel that jittery uneasy sensation or heart palpitations coming on but am, touch wood, reasonably well controlled at the moment.
    « Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:17:14 am by AmesburyArcher »
    Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
    Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
    J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Trioxin 245

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 28, 2020, 12:49:04 am »
    I haven't watched the news in nearly eight years and it has done wonders for my mental health. Get off social media or only check it once a day.  The previous two are by no means a cure but will help.

If you are seeking or considering a therapist, try one that does CBT. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I know people who have suffered from severe depression/anxiety for years and after a few sessions there life has improved dramatically. It really is that good.

Offline Louis_Park

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 03:07:25 am »
    I haven't watched the news in nearly eight years and it has done wonders for my mental health. Get off social media or only check it once a day.  The previous two are by no means a cure but will help.

If you are seeking or considering a therapist, try one that does CBT. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I know people who have suffered from severe depression/anxiety for years and after a few sessions there life has improved dramatically. It really is that good.

Agree with the social media aspect. Since the pandemic, I've gotten rid of my personal facebook account. It fuels too many negative emotions. I need to cut back on my news intake next.

I think another aspect (along with a long list of others) is that we have a brain that has barely evolved since the agricultural revolution and it somehow has to exist in an ever-changing bat-[crap] crazy world. We have all this software that didn't evolve to be used in the ways that it is, so it is natural that there will be issues. Sticking with this point, writing a novel is one of the most unnatural things a human can do. Creating stories is natural, writing an 80k novel isn't. So, I think it is natural that mental difficulties would follow, especially if you are sacrificing other needs for it (e.g. social life, exercise, health diet, sleep, etc).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement