Author Topic: Sleep Number Bed  (Read 648 times)  

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
Sleep Number Bed
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:47:45 am »
DH and I have decided it is time to invest in a new bed. Does anyone have the Sleep Number? I would love to hear comments. Favorite other bed brands comments are welcome also!
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    Re: Sleep Number Bed
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:11 pm »
    We've had one for five or six years. It solved the 'he likes a hard mattress and she likes a soft one' controversy. Each side can be set to your personal preference. I don't find it as comfortable as the waterbed we had years ago before he developed back  problems, but it sure beats the traditional mattresses we've had since then.

The only negatives I have found, and none of them are a deal breaker, are:  1) We are fresh air people (last to turn on the A/C in the Summer and last to turn on the heat in the Fall) and sometimes the dramatic changes in bed:room temperature makes it lose a little air over time and the bed becomes mushier. This is easily fixed in a couple minutes with the remote control that comes with the bed. We've only had to do this 2 or 3 times. 2) Because each side of the bed is separate, there is a piece of foam that runs down the center of the bed separating the two sets of air chambers. This makes a slight lump visually in the center. Perhaps if you use a thick comforter it won't be visible at all. We have just a thin quilt on the bed. 3) Sometimes when one person rolls over you can hear the plastic air chambers rubbing against each other. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not loud, just noticeable if you're the one that's awake.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:49:20 pm »
    We have 2 ... a queen & a double, but not any of the fancy ones that are movable more like hospital beds.
    We do like them. I have found that if one side likes a much softer sleeping surface, you tend occasionally to roll to the middle, depending upon where you place your body to start out the night. But because of the divider, it doesn't seem to affect the other person.
    I would buy these mattresses again
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:04:26 am »
    We have 2 ... a queen & a double, but not any of the fancy ones that are movable more like hospital beds.
    We do like them. I have found that if one side likes a much softer sleeping surface, you tend occasionally to roll to the middle, depending upon where you place your body to start out the night. But because of the divider, it doesn't seem to affect the other person.
    I would buy these mattresses again

We are currently on Serta Mattress/Box Spring. I can't say it is uncomfortable, but DH has back problems and claims to wake up stiff every morning. As I age, I find I am also stiff in the morning, but I blame it more on age than the mattress. DH also has hip/knee/ankle issues. Our mattress is very heavy, and I find it harder and harder to change the sheets and get them tucked in. Is the Sleep Number hard to make up a new bed? We have never had a platform bed before, and I wonder how the change will affect us. In addition, our bed is pretty high off the floor. I am hoping the Sleep Number is lower, making it easier to get in. The taller of the two of us (DH) is only 5"6."

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 08:06:37 am »
    We've had one for five or six years. It solved the 'he likes a hard mattress and she likes a soft one' controversy. Each side can be set to your personal preference. I don't find it as comfortable as the waterbed we had years ago before he developed back  problems, but it sure beats the traditional mattresses we've had since then.

The only negatives I have found, and none of them are a deal breaker, are:  1) We are fresh air people (last to turn on the A/C in the Summer and last to turn on the heat in the Fall) and sometimes the dramatic changes in bed:room temperature makes it lose a little air over time and the bed becomes mushier. This is easily fixed in a couple minutes with the remote control that comes with the bed. We've only had to do this 2 or 3 times. 2) Because each side of the bed is separate, there is a piece of foam that runs down the center of the bed separating the two sets of air chambers. This makes a slight lump visually in the center. Perhaps if you use a thick comforter it won't be visible at all. We have just a thin quilt on the bed. 3) Sometimes when one person rolls over you can hear the plastic air chambers rubbing against each other. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not loud, just noticeable if you're the one that's awake.

We have not gone to look at the beds yet at the store. If the head of the mattress is split so that you can raise one head higher than the other, don't the sheets have to be split too? From pictures, it looks like this would make the bed very hard to put the bottom sheet on.

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »
    We got the bed that doesn't do anything special. Just a plain mattress and not even a pillow top. It's thin like mattresses used to be. Because we are using it with an older headboard that has a cushion attached for sitting and reading in bed, it  limits how thick the mattress can be to fit under the cushion and still allow it to tilt open to get to the cubbyhole behind. Actually, we didn't have to buy a bed frame for it either since the mattress we replaced was sitting on the old waterbed frame. Think Platform bed.

I'm sure you would have to get special sheets for a bed that splits. The salesperson will be able to tell you about that.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:22:46 pm »
    We are currently on Serta Mattress/Box Spring. I can't say it is uncomfortable, but DH has back problems and claims to wake up stiff every morning. As I age, I find I am also stiff in the morning, but I blame it more on age than the mattress. DH also has hip/knee/ankle issues. Our mattress is very heavy, and I find it harder and harder to change the sheets and get them tucked in. Is the Sleep Number hard to make up a new bed? We have never had a platform bed before, and I wonder how the change will affect us. In addition, our bed is pretty high off the floor. I am hoping the Sleep Number is lower, making it easier to get in. The taller of the two of us (DH) is only 5"6."
    I am 65 y.o., overweight, out-of-shape, and 5 ft tall. I can pick the whole double mattress up by myself and carry it across the room! But it is not one that allows the head/knees/feet to be raised/lowered.
    Yes I can make the bed all by myself!
    Also, some nights I want the mattress very firm, other nights my aches & pains make me want a softer surface. This is where SleepNumber shines.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:33:17 pm »
    I had a off brand air mattress for many years. When we moved into the house we got rid of it due to age and got a tuft and needle foam type mattress. I can say that it was very easy to move the air mattress from one apartment to another as it was very very light. But that also meant it kind of moved a bit on the platform. Our platform sits on the slats and is full wood. I am still using the same platform with the foam mattress and I would not be able to move that sucker by myself. I was able to move the air mattress. Not that I needed too.

We got used to the "mushy" air mattress. The air bladders had length wise channels. I don't know what the sleep number uses, but length wise is not good as when you are a side sleeper like I am , your hip and ellbow sinks in deeper. If it was sideways I think it would have been better. After a few years it would start letting air out so I had to keep putting in with pump which was fine.

I miss the lightness of the air mattress, but not how it moved on the platform. Again, I don't know how different the sleep number is. I got a knock off that was like the very early sleep numbers. We had it way too long probably. Ours didn't have any indicator of the numbers. Just pump air in.  :P. Before they had all the digital stuff.

It just started to look floppy after a few years.

One issue I found is that if you have very different favorite levels of air, it makes one person kind of roll in the middle at times. As it had a separator, but if one bladders is much below the other it makes a difference. If you are somewhat close, it probably won't matter as much. That is just what I found.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:18:33 pm »
    There are versions of the SleepNumber with varying chambers within one mattress portion. I don't have those features. But it let's you set up settings for shoulders, hips, knees feet.  This is a feature different from being able to raise head, knees, feet.

As you can imagine each of these different features adds on to the $$$$$ SIGNIFICANTLY. I think it would be fun to have all those features, but I'm not about to spend my money on them.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 10:15:27 pm »
    Ours is a basic version with none of the special features. It is king sized so the differences between the settings doesn't make anyone roll since there is plenty of room between us. If I remember correctly from watching the delivery people set it up, the air chambers do go crosswise instead of lengthwise.

One of the best features of an air bed is if one of you is having a restless night, the bed doesn't move, only the covers move and that's a lot easier to ignore.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:22:51 am »
    Must have been the length wise bladder on mine then, cause it was a wobbly mess every time someone got in or out of the bed. I thankfully now don't have that issue anymore with my foam mattress. Not memory, I don't like the feel of that. Its some other foam.

But again, I bought mine many years ago and I am sure even the brand name ones have come a long way since.

They probably have a sleep so many days guarantee too. Its hard to figure out what is best without actually sleeping on them for a while.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 08:05:46 am »
    We have changed our focus fro Sleep Number and are now focused on Nest Bedding. It is just so hard to change the traditional "go to the store and lay on the bed" to "just order it and it comes in a box at your door."

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 08:25:41 am »
     ;D. My mattress came in a box too. We dragged it upstairs and I was wondering how they fit a queen thickish mattress into that fairly small box. But did they do.

Offline jakecrew

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 04:40:41 am »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement