Author Topic: Kindle watch - Oasis 3!  (Read 7560 times)  

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle watch - Oasis 3!
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2019, 05:13:15 am »
Well I said I was going to buy the premium leather cover with the $30 gift card Amazon was giving us for price reduction.  I do appreciate the gift card but they applied it to my new Oasis since I dont have it yet.  This in itself doesnt bother me, however, they have deducted the new lower charge from my bank account and older charge is still there.  They are just pending charges and CS assured me both wouldnt go through when the Oasis was shipped.  This is fine but the bank is now holding both charges and has reduced my balance of available funds.  I have never had such a screwed up order. 

I also asked if I could just cancel this order and reorder the champagne color without 4g as it is back in stock sooner.  I was told I would lose my 25% discount for trade in if I did this.  It looks like Im not getting my kindle until sometime it September.  Needless to say, Im not happy.

Just go to bestbuy and see if you can get one. You can trade in there as well according to their website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
    • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & 3 & Paperwhite owner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: July 28, 2019, 05:59:46 am »
    Just go to bestbuy and see if you can get one. You can trade in there as well according to their website

I live in a rural area and the nearest Best Buy is 60 miles away.  I have already traded in my older Kindles and they now belong to Amazon.  That was back in June when I placed the order for the new Oasis.  I dont think they will give them back.  I still have the Oasis2, a Voyage and a Paperwhite 4 so Im not without a kindle.  Ill just have to stop complaining and wait.

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: July 28, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »
    Ok an update got my Oasis 3 today. The screen is very nice. The case i got with it the fintie for $10 is also nice, but the wake/sleep does not work.

But after setting it all up with about 1200 books loaded. I've decided its going back. It's so slow. Once you put that many books on it it slows to a crawl to find anything. The actual reading of the book and the page turn buttons is great thou. But why did i buy a 32gb device if i'm not going to put books on it, and i had yet to DL my audible library.

I just think i have an issue with the software, i just don't like the menu's i hate collections adding books one book at a time by checking boxes stinks. Even calibre's solutions arent great.

maybe i'm not an eink person anymore been reading on my Ipad Mini 5, its so easy to browse for books.

I will probably just get a black friday paperwhite. The unit is good if you can get it for what i paid about $150. It just was'nt for me.

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: July 28, 2019, 02:09:14 pm »
    Ok an update got my Oasis 3 today. The screen is very nice. The case i got with it the fintie for $10 is also nice, but the wake/sleep does not work.

But after setting it all up with about 1200 books loaded. I've decided its going back. It's so slow. Once you put that many books on it it slows to a crawl to find anything. The actual reading of the book and the page turn buttons is great thou. But why did i buy a 32gb device if i'm not going to put books on it, and i had yet to DL my audible library.

I just think i have an issue with the software, i just don't like the menu's i hate collections adding books one book at a time by checking boxes stinks. Even calibre's solutions arent great.

maybe i'm not an eink person anymore been reading on my Ipad Mini 5, its so easy to browse for books.

I will probably just get a black friday paperwhite. The unit is good if you can get it for what i paid about $150. It just was'nt for me.
    Before you give up on it due to slowness, you might want to make sure it's finished indexing those 1200 books and then see if the performance improves.

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: July 28, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »

Your device is indexing. It takes about 2 1/2 days to index my 600 ebooks so 1200  will take longer. Once the books are indexed the device will speed up plus less battery drain. I suspect 1200 books will take 4 or 5 days to index. give it a week before deciding what to do

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: July 29, 2019, 03:43:18 am »
    My kindle finally shipped!   I should have it tomorrow.  :)

Offline mattquinley

• View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: July 29, 2019, 06:50:51 am »
    Interesting...they must have repositioned the magnet in the new Oasis. So you think the magnet is on the bottom right corner of the Kindle? I hope the new Fintie case I ordered works. It specifically says its for the O3 but also says it works with the O2. Well see.
    I can confirm that the Fintie origami case fits fine physically, but auto sleep/wake does not function. If you browse cases now you will find that most of the 9th gen Oasis covers from 3rd party vendors now state they don't work with gen 10 devices. I'm wondering how the Amazon covers would continue to work - maybe they've had larger or additional magnets in them all along? I've been on a very frustrating chat with Amazon CS this morning, the only answer they give is to go buy the Amazon premium cover for $65. IMO Amazon did this on the sly so they could capture as many cover sales as possible before the other vendors catch up. Smart but sleazy.

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: July 29, 2019, 07:51:36 am »
    I can confirm that the Fintie origami case fits fine physically, but auto sleep/wake does not function. If you browse cases now you will find that most of the 9th gen Oasis covers from 3rd party vendors now state they don't work with gen 10 devices. I'm wondering how the Amazon covers would continue to work - maybe they've had larger or additional magnets in them all along? I've been on a very frustrating chat with Amazon CS this morning, the only answer they give is to go buy the Amazon premium cover for $65. IMO Amazon did this on the sly so they could capture as many cover sales as possible before the other vendors catch up. Smart but sleazy.
    Unfortunately, I had the same thought. I took a look at the leather cover but it got some very bad reviews for quality. Like you,  I always noticed that all the covers I shopped before have now removed the statement about gen10 compatibility. I hope they come out with some soon so we have some choice.
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: July 29, 2019, 09:45:49 am »
    When I try to unsubscribe from special offers it actually has a yellow button that says " unsubscribe without charge"  I am excited!  but it would not work so I had to IM customer service. Looks like I am unsubscribed  but not sure if she was able to do it free. I told the CSR I was surprised to see it was free on my end.

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:56 am »
    Unfortunately, I had the same thought. I took a look at the leather cover but it got some very bad reviews for quality. Like you,  I always noticed that all the covers I shopped before have now removed the statement about gen10 compatibility. I hope they come out with some soon so we have some choice.

The cover  I got works well and "wakes" up my device.  I think you have to unsubscribe from special offers to avoid the " swipe up to unlock" message. The cover I purchased is this link here. I got the yellow and looks real nice
     ;D
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FD7L324/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8)

Offline mattquinley

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:18 am »
    The cover  I got works well and "wakes" up my device.  I think you have to unsubscribe from special offers to avoid the " swipe up to unlock" message. The cover I purchased is this link here. I got the yellow and looks real nice
     ;D
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FD7L324/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8)
    That's interesting, the comments for that model state that sleep/wake does not work on the gen 10 Oasis. I don't care about the "swipe" message, but neither of the 2 Fintie covers I tried would even invoke that message. If the device was off, opening the cover would have no effect. It would require the power button to be pressed to get to the "swipe" stage. Similarly, closing the cover when finished reading would leave the device fully powered up, LED's at whatever setting they were on.

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:56 am »
     ;D

8)

I bought my model without subscription to special offers. I dont get a swipe up to unlock message. BTW, the commenter who said the wake- Sleep feature doesnt work on your cover got a message from the manufacturer that they are updating their cover to work and it will be available in early August. I cant figure out why you got one that works???
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: July 29, 2019, 10:33:08 am »
    I bought my model without subscription to special offers. I dont get a swipe up to unlock message. BTW, the commenter who said the wake- Sleep feature doesnt work on your cover got a message from the manufacturer that they are updating their cover to work and it will be available in early August. I cant figure out why you got one that works???

I was wrong. It was working, except for the "swipe up" message before I unsubscribed. Once I unsubscribed it stopped working altogether. Anyways it is no big deal to manually wake it up myself I suppose

Offline mattquinley

• View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: July 29, 2019, 11:26:25 am »
    I was wrong. It was working, except for the "swipe up" message before I unsubscribed. Once I unsubscribed it stopped working altogether. Anyways it is no big deal to manually wake it up myself I suppose

Yes, not the end of the world, but it is an annoyance. The very definition of a first-world problem, but I don't think it's unfair to expect Amazon to share updated product specs with accessory vendors ahead of time so they don't waste thousands of hours and dollars processing "free" returns. I would hope it's feasible for the updated covers to work with both 9th and 10th gen devices.

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: July 29, 2019, 01:38:16 pm »
    Well, I think it is awful to put out a product and expect people to go without a case/cover especially since Oasis is so expensive. I think they should have worked with vendors so they can put out a matching cover. Amazon has 2 or 3 Oasis 3 compatible covers but who wants to pay $40 to$70 for an Amazon-branded case?

I kinda prefer non-auto awake covers for I generally shut the screen off altogether. It saves battery I noticed.
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:40:12 pm by HLS »

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: July 29, 2019, 03:10:16 pm »
    Well, I think it is awful to put out a product and expect people to go without a case/cover especially since Oasis is so expensive. I think they should have worked with vendors so they can put out a matching cover. Amazon has 2 or 3 Oasis 3 compatible covers but who wants to pay $40 to$70 for an Amazon-branded case?

I kinda prefer non-auto awake covers for I generally shut the screen off altogether. It saves battery I noticed.
    I agree. The way this was handled is a real fiasco. I put an inquiry into Fintie asking when they think theyll have an Oasis 3 compatible cover.

Offline cajunrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:43 pm »
    From the shipping to the covers. This whole fiasco is troubling. I hope Amazon isn't resting on it's laurels. Granted it's just about an insurmountable lead in the US. So did GM at one time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: July 29, 2019, 05:18:15 pm »
    I bet you that even the Amazon-branded covers auto wake will not work.  I still really like my new cover. I am just thankful  it fits

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: July 30, 2019, 03:53:41 am »
    I received an answer to my inquiry from Fintie. Im very impressed with the promptness of their reply:

Sorry for your inconvenience. Because Amazon temporarily changed the auto sleep/wake function, all the 2019 10th generation Oasis case in market doesnt support this function including Amazons original case. We will be one of the the 1st sellers can provide the functional case and our upgraded case will be available within 1 week. You can pay attention to our shop and product advertisement on Amazon for the expected release time of new case for 2019 version and reorder. Any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Have a nice day.

temporarily changed the auto sleep/wake function? Does that mean theyre going to change it back and all the redesigned covers wont work at some point?
    They are saying even the Amazon cases dont work??  So someone in design neglected to tell that they moved the magnet location? Wow! Heads will roll! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: July 30, 2019, 04:57:02 am »
    My new case works just fine bought a amazon cloth cover
    Larry

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:14 pm »
    My Amazon leather case that just arrived works fine also but I miss the Origami case that I used to prop up my Voyage. I got the Oasis 3 yesterday and am very impressed with the screen. Most even screen I've ever had on any Kindle and the contrast is just as good as the contrast on my Voyage. This new Oasis is a winner and after returning version 1 and 2 for screens that were unacceptable to me, I am happy to say Oasis 3 is a keeper. Everything seems faster on the Oasis 3 except the wake up screen which is a little slower than the one on my Voyage but no big deal.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: July 30, 2019, 05:08:33 pm »
    I finally received my Oasis today.  I havent had a chance to use it yet but I did get it set up and charged.  It is up to date.  May have downloaded an update while charging, but I wasnt home, so not sure.  I did notice when I push the buttons to change a page it seems much quieter.

Offline cajunrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: July 30, 2019, 05:22:50 pm »
    Update,

The Oasis came in today, only 6 days late. I guess the good Lord thought I needed a lesson on patience. Also my Ayotu cover doesn't auto sleep or wake the Oasis. I also popped for the Amazon leather case, which is listed for 9th and 10th generation Oasis just like the other cases out there from third party vendors. Either Amazon tweaked the magnet locations between the second and third Kindle Oasis or someone did a poor job of reverse engineering of the Oasis case. I'm going to return the Ayotu case for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: July 30, 2019, 05:37:12 pm »
    I finally received my Oasis today.  I havent had a chance to use it yet but I did get it set up and charged.  It is up to date.  May have downloaded an update while charging, but I wasnt home, so not sure.  I did notice when I push the buttons to change a page it seems much quieter.
    So glad you got it and didnt have to wait til September.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: July 31, 2019, 02:54:48 am »
    So glad you got it and didnt have to wait til September.

Thanks DD.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement