Author Topic: How Do You Get Your Story Ideas?  (Read 1153 times)  

Offline LauraWestbrook

• View Profile
    • Laura Westbrook Writes
Re: How Do You Get Your Story Ideas?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 07:50:22 am »
I'm a fan of Gaiman's answer, which is that everybody gets ideas for stories all the time - when they're daydreaming, distracted, reading something else, etc. The difference between writers and everybody else is that writers notice when they're getting story ideas.

I agree. I think the key is being in a state of mind of being receptive to those ideas when they come about.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline AngryGames

• Boise, ID
    • Stoner Fiction Enthusiast
      • View Profile
      • AngryGames
    « Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 10:32:43 am »
    The kind folks over a Speculative Fiction Showcase allowed me to answer this very question a few days ago ;).

https://indiespecfic.blogspot.com/2019/09/super-blog-post-number-one-best-by.html

Short answer: vacuuming the floors is somehow my primary idea generation activity!

Travis Hill | Author Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 11:32:24 am »
    I'm an insatiable reader, of a wide range of genres. I spend each morning on the net following current events, technologies, history, and the body politic. I also am a naval and military history buff. My stories have ranged from a Greatest Generation novel, to current event based SF and post-apologetic, and alt WW2 history.

The number of potential story ideas exceed my time to write and publish them. My life clock is ticking, and I'm very aware of that, at 75, to the point of neglecting time spent on promotion. Maybe one of my kids will pick up that ball after I'm gone.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

Offline BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Adirondack Mountains, Northern NY (almost Canada)
    • BillSmithBooks.com, Outlaw Galaxy &Star Wars books
      • View Profile
      • www.BillSmithBooks.com
    « Reply #28 on: September 29, 2019, 12:30:25 pm »
    There used to be this mailorder shop in Poughkeepsie that I could send away for, but I ran out of discount coupons and they raised their prices too much. So I stopped for a while. Now all my correspondences with them come back unread.

:P

I think Harlan Ellison used to work with a similar outfit.  :)
    Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series and several Star Wars books. Visit him at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Blogging at www.BillSmithBooks.blogspot.com. The Outlaw Galaxy series features free-wheeling space fantasy action-adventure...fun for readers of all ages. Outlaw Galaxy: Little Wind and Other Tales (short story collection) is now FREE at most retailers.
    Bill Smith | Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter\'s Truth and Other Tales | BillSmithBooks.com | BillSmithBlog.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement