Author Topic: Punctuation?  (Read 3028 times)  

Offline DD

• Member #484
    • View Profile
Punctuation?
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:47:48 am »
Im  not quite sure where to post this question. Moderators, move as you see fit.
On my screen, the punctuation in my posts appear as a weird question mark symbol. Are you seeing that or is it only on my end? (e.g. they�re)
Kindles I have owned or now own:
K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    Re: Punctuation?
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:22:35 am »
    It's a problem that has been going on for years.  It has something to do with "curly quotes" and symbols.  Pretty much any post typed using something other than the forum software (like copy pasting from a word processing program or on a mobile device/ipad/etc.) will create the weird diamonds. 

This is the last thread I found - it's from 2016  :o  and Harvey had been working on correcting it well before that.  https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,235292.0.html

As far as I know, there has been no solution other than to replace apostrophes, quote marks, etc. with "straight" marks used by the forum software.

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:20:29 am »
    It's a problem that has been going on for years.  It has something to do with "curly quotes" and symbols.  Pretty much any post typed using something other than the forum software (like copy pasting from a word processing program or on a mobile device/ipad/etc.) will create the weird diamonds. 

This is the last thread I found - it's from 2016  :o  and Harvey had been working on correcting it well before that.  https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,235292.0.html

As far as I know, there has been no solution other than to replace apostrophes, quote marks, etc. with "straight" marks used by the forum software.

So, youre seeing them in my posts? Thanks.
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 01:47:57 pm »
    So, youre seeing them in my posts? Thanks.

^curly apostrophe showing up as diamond/question mark.

Yes, seeing them in your posts.  I'll quote again changing the apostrophe in you're for you to see the difference (I hope).

So, you're seeing them in my posts? Thanks.

^changed to straight apostrophe, all better
    « Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:49:55 pm by crebel »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement