Author Topic: Yosemite National Park - recommendations?  (Read 321 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Yosemite National Park - recommendations?
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:48:26 am »
We are tentatively planning a trip to California this fall and were thinking that it would be fun to include Yosemite National Park on the itenerary.
I've been reading lots about "what to do in Yosemite" and things like that.  One thing that really stands out is the need for bear-proof containers for snacks and stuff if you expect to leave anything in a vehicle.  Does anyone have first-hand experience with bear-proof containers?  I want to make sure that we get something useful before we get out there so we don't have to purchase containers at inflated captive-audience prices.
I think we are planning to stay nearer the southern entrance because of the steam train - that is the first item on my list!  But lodging also looks pretty expensive and most of the places aren't reviewed that well.  So we are open for suggestions there as well.
Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    Re: Yosemite National Park - recommendations?
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:27:10 am »
    Bear-proof containers are located at campgrounds - they lock and you can leave food in them while you tour around.  I once lived nearby, and we hiked Yosemite numerous times.  Now, I believe certain times of the year, and parts of the park might only be available via shuttle bus, you should verify so you can plan.

If you are 'motel' visitors, then just seal up your coolers (keeps the food scent down) keep it locked in your trunk or car interior.  Also, definitely ask the rangers - you can call the park, or email from the NPS site. Bears come after food scent, so no scent, no bears usually.

We lived in Calif for 35 years, so if you want a chat about some things to do, PM me, and we can email if you share what, where, and when - I can guide you a bit.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:23 am »
    We lived in Calif for 35 years, so if you want a chat about some things to do, PM me, and we can email if you share what, where, and when - I can guide you a bit.

Thanks!
    I'll take you up on that.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:44 am »
    Andra, one of our travel dreams is to rent/buy an RV and visit places like Yosemite National Park. If you're willing to share your experiences here I, for one, would love to read about it.

Safe travels!
    « Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:18:05 am by Nina Huffney »

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:48:14 am »
    Sounds like it's a good idea to get there early and beat the crowds. :) (Probably helps that he was there in November, not in the summer. ;) )

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPV5E27GN4s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPV5E27GN4s</a>

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:08:25 am »
    Andra, one of our travel dreams is to rent/buy an RV and visit places like Yosemite National Park. If you're willing to share your experiences here I, for one, would love to read about it.

Safe travels!

We have a travel trailer, but with only a week of vacation and traveling from the middle of Texas, we just don't have the time to pull it all that way and back.  I'd love to because then we could take Ginger with us.  Maybe once we retire we can take more leisurely vacations.
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:34:51 am by Andra »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 09:08:44 am »
    NogDog, I hadn't seen that channel before - nice.

Andra, is Ginger the four-legged cutie in your avatar? She (?) looks like the sort to enjoy an adventure.

Our dog is an elderly (16+) Beagle who has to pee every two hours and was called "uncooperative" by a veterinarian.  :D  Yeah, we aren't taking her on any road trips.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:34:25 am »
    Andra, is Ginger the four-legged cutie in your avatar? She (?) looks like the sort to enjoy an adventure.

Our dog is an elderly (16+) Beagle who has to pee every two hours and was called "uncooperative" by a veterinarian.  :D  Yeah, we aren't taking her on any road trips.

Yes, that's my girlie.  She turned three in May, but still acts like a puppy most of the time.  She is a bundle of energy and loves to be doing what the other peoples are doing.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 12:39:06 pm »
    Yosemite park is fun. I love it. The only concern is crowded. It's good to schedule the trip with minimum crowd problem....

KBoards.com

• Advertisement