Author Topic: Books in public domain  (Read 525 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Books in public domain
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:25:47 am »

The New York Public Library says as many as 80% of all books published between 1924 and 1964 are in the public domain, if this article is to be believed.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kz4e3e/millions-of-books-are-secretly-in-the-public-domain-you-can-download-them-free

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    Re: Books in public domain
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »
    Prior to 1964, books had a 28-year copyright term. Extending it required authors or publishers to send in a separate form, and lots of people didn't end up doing that. Thanks to the efforts of the New York Public Library, many of those public domain books are now free online.

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up, Mike D.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:59:30 am »
    I didnt know till I started looking at ebooks, but the works of H. Beam Piper, a successful old school science fiction writer are all in the public domain.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Bella Breen

• South Dakota
      • View Profile
      • Bella Breen author of Pride and Prejudice variations
    « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:37:44 pm »
    Which means that.....anyone can give the public domain a new cover and rerelease it?

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:02 am »
    THC, that name popped out for me as I was browsing, as well. I was very young when I read them and hardly recall the stories, but Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens were on our bookshelves while growing up.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 07:02:17 pm »
    THC, that name popped out for me as I was browsing, as well. I was very young when I read them and hardly recall the stories, but Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens were on our bookshelves while growing up.

Glad you had a well-rounded childhood, Nina! Lord Kalman of Otherwhen is still great, as are many other works by Piper. Tragic that he died by suicide and didnt live to see his works blossom into popularity.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 12:41:29 pm »
    Which means that.....anyone can give the public domain a new cover and rerelease it?

I think I saw something some time back (possibly multiple years now!) that Amazon started to try to police that, in that they didn't want 100 different e-book versions of a given public domain book. No idea how they did it (first come, first serve?) nor if it's still a thing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement