Author Topic: Passing out business cards  (Read 361 times)  

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
    • View Profile
Passing out business cards
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »
If I see somebody reading a book in the park or wherever, they just might get a business card shoved in their face inviting them to read my books. Oh, just kidding. I'll be polite. I'm not sure how well that old-school, in-your-face approach will go, but it can't go any worse than some so-called can't-miss ad campaigns of mine on social media and zon. If you want to see an image of the cards I'll be passing out, it's on my blog. Here's the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/75785.Steve_Johnson/blog

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    Re: Passing out business cards
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:42:05 am »
    I was about to say this was crazy but your card is actually quite convincing! The book cover is very professional and the text is tasteful. If someone approached me in the park with this kind of card I might actually give it a try.

Storyteller

Offline Luke Everhart

• Texas
    • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
      • View Profile
      • Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:39:24 am »
    That's a great busin... bookiness card 👍
    No idea how effective the strategy will be, but sure, why not give it a go if you like the idea. Hopefully it works for you. Maybe bring a bundle to conventions and if that's a children's book you could tape it to some candy for the trick or treat crowd come Halloween 🎃👻
    Dark Design : 100%

Blood Bargain: 100%

Moon Magic (changing to Moon Madness) : in progress
    Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude
    Luke Everhart | Twitter | Website

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 09:10:54 am »
    Anytime it comes up in the conversation that I write books (and I'll make sure that it does come up more times than not), I'll now have a business card to pass out showing the link. These cards are an act of frustration or desperation. Like I say, they can't do any worse than some of the ads I've tried that have fallen pretty flat. For about 30 bucks I got 500 cards at vistaprint. I designed the card myself with some of their online software. I'll let you know if I get good results.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 09:22:56 am »
    Hi Steve! I think you have a cover problem. Based on the business card image your book appears to be a children's book, but when I clicked on your link the book was listed as a medical thriller. This could be causing confusion with your readers. Maybe you need a new cover or you should make your cover and description consistent.

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 09:34:41 am »
    Hi Steve! I think you have a cover problem. Based on the business card image your book appears to be a children's book, but when I clicked on your link the book was listed as a medical thriller. This could be causing confusion with your readers. Maybe you need a new cover or you should make your cover and description consistent.

I, too, assumed your book was a kids' book. If you're having trouble getting sales, that could be a big part of it.

Offline Luke Everhart

• Texas
    • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
      • View Profile
      • Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:03:02 am »
    I, too, assumed your book was a kids' book. If you're having trouble getting sales, that could be a big part of it.

Yep, me too. I saw the tiny image and read "Ruth's Last Adventure" but didn't notice the "Alzheimer's Patient Escapes" part which makes it sound like very much the opposite of a children's book (and depressing, actually).
    Dark Design : 100%

Blood Bargain: 100%

Moon Magic (changing to Moon Madness) : in progress
    Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude
    Luke Everhart | Twitter | Website

Offline EmberKent

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
      • Ember Editing
    « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 10:05:02 am »
    Solicited, I would be fine with this.

Unsolicited, I would vow to never buy the person's book so long as I'm alive.

But I generally don't like business cards or being sold to unless I specifically ask for it, so that gives me a bias here. Maybe other people are keener towards being approached.

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:38 am »
    As a USN vet, a naval history buff, and the author of several books with naval action, I always wear my Nevada (BB-36) ball cap when I go out in public. I also carry my business cards (with an image from the cover of BB-39 on them). I always thank for their service any vets or active duty people I encounter. If possible, I tell them the story about the Nevada model built for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora, and give them a card. This process has generated enough new readers to be worth the effort. I don't ever push, since hard sell is = to spamming.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 10:38:31 am »
    Yup, the cover is meant to be a bit whimsical. People with Alzheimer's see themselves in a different mirror than the rest of us as they live in their own, very different and childlike world. The character is about ready to get on the bus and begin her last adventure, which is her greatest adventure. Alzheimer's is definitely a depressing subject but some people tell me this book has actually helped them. If this sad disease has touched your family or a loved one, I invite you to give it a try. It wasn't written as a "help book" but if it helps somebody, I'm both humbled and gratified.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement