Author Topic: What is working for you on AMS ads these days?  (Read 414 times)  

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
What is working for you on AMS ads these days?
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:15:27 am »
Any particular strategies that are paying off?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
      • View Profile
      • Anomally Report
    Re: What is working for you on AMS ads these days?
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:39:44 am »
    With the increased cost per click since this Spring, I concluded AMS is no longer cost-effective for me. I let the budget ($100) run out on the three active campaigns in July, thinking the bleeding would stop. I got an automatic payment to AMS for $167 early in September. After several contacts with Amazon, I still am waiting for a supervisor's response, as to why their charges continued after exceeding the budget. I have since been able to terminate those campaigns. I have found the AMS campaign management software to be very unfriendly, slow to update the reports, and cumbersome. I plan to revisit AMS next year, but will spend my add dollars elsewhere for the rest of this year.
    After The Final Event: 80%

After The Days Of Infamy: 60%
    A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
    A.G. Kimbrough

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 02:02:48 pm »
    I can't swear to the "paying off" part, but I prefer to have a relatively low daily budget.  That way, my ad is out there and being seen, but it's not able to run amok and out of control, cost-wise.

Also, one thing that I think many people will suggest is that an AMS ad isn't something that you can simply "set it and forget it."  I download reports about once a week, and see which keywords are effective, which aren't, and which are simply eating $$$.  Then I tweak bids for those words up or down as needed--whether it be by two cents or ten cents, is up to me.  I've even paused a few keywords, and sometimes add new ones.

Also, don't be intimidated by the "suggested keyword bid."  I don't remember what the default bid is these days, but I usually start with a modest bid, of, say, 25.  If things go well, I can always increase it.  But seriously, there are keywords that are "suggested" at 75cents, when I think the words are so generic that I doubt they're going to be very effective.  That's another reason you have to check your ad details every so often.
    Jena

Offline mobydickensianmalcom

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:36:23 am »
    Since this summer, I've been running campaigns both for my own work and for a client who has a fairly large audience and following, and I've found both tracks to be exceedingly challenging.

For my own work, I'm not that surprised--what I was promoting is fairly niche and while I tweaked covers and description info, I didn't really expect it to explode out. Even so, I've certainly lost money even after doing a lot of keyword work and so I've shelved AMS for myself for the time being.

I was more surprised for my client. Given their presence, their past sales, and the general quality of their books, I was surprised to see us having to pay so much to win auctions. Which is ultimately the issue I've had since the summer--absolutely abhorrent volume and a high bid being required to even get shown. It makes it near impossible to be profitable against a single book, which unless you're a series seller / cross-seller, leaves you a bit out in the cold.

Very curious to know if any non-series writers are seeing AMS work for them and if so if they're using different strategies.

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 10:37:55 am »
    Sometimes, regardless of how good and/or how popular a written work is, you've got to tickle the readers and browsers a little. Even with older works, a reminder ad is important.  Based on my results over the past few years and especially the past few months, and everything I've read in these great threads, I believe the best writers (and therefore the best books) will continue to experience higher costs but will be able to perform at a rate strong enough to continue with ads. Writers still earning their chops (and therefore weaker books) will no longer be profitable to be advertised on AMS at all.

That's not gloom and doom, that's the idea (shared by TRAD Publishers for the past 100 years) that readers only want to read the best 1 or 2 percent of all books, because that's the sweet spot. Just as less than 1% of golfers/dancers/baseball players/actors/musicians/painters (do I need to go on?) manage to pay the bills with their skills, we need to accept that we are in a very competitive field and only the strong survive.

If new writers can't read between the lines, that means EXACTLY what you have been reading here for the last two years: If you want to sell, you've got to produce excellent covers, blurbs, and edited books that have characters that jump off the pages and grab readers and follow good plots that end in satisfaction and real conclusion, or lead to more books where the great story continues. I know you all know this and I'm preaching to the choir, but maybe if I read it enough myself it will sink into my own thick skull.

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

KBoards.com

• Advertisement