Kindle Forum banner

What is your favorite book that no one knows about?

9K views 36 replies 34 participants last post by  kw35789 
G
#1 ·
If I had all the money in the world I would go from one bookstore to another and ask the proprietor what is your favorite book that no one knows about? So I thought I would ask reddit. Fiction / non fiction / graphic novel.

I am really interested and fascinated by literary archaeology and would also love any nonfiction or fiction books about this subject. What I really find interesting is the concept of things you do not know that you do not know.

My personal theory is that there are all of these amazing, brilliant books out there but since they were not the same as what was popular they just have become forgotten overtime.

Look forward to your answers.

#4 ·
These three come to mind immediately.  The first is long out-of-print but well worth digging for either on Amazon or through interlibrary loan; the other two are available in the Kindle store.

1. MYSTICAL UNION, by Don Robertson
2. 1968, by Joe Haldeman
3. VOICES OF A SUMMER DAY, by Irwin Shaw

Enjoy.

#5 ·
I'm about half way through "Tammy Out of Time" by Cid Ricketts Sumner, a 1948 book that was later made into the three Tammy movies of the 1960s. I remember seeing the first movie which I think was based on this book. I don't remember anything about it. I had a date that night and the movie might not have been my focus. I had no idea till a couple of weeks ago that it was even based on a book.

The book is really surprising me. I remember the movie as one of the many teen beach type movies of that era. The book is very intelligent and carefully plotted and unlike anything I've read before. Tammy is raised on a shanty boat and hasn't been exposed to the modern world. And then she is. And among "civilized" people she's pretty impressive. And they are impressed; well, most of them are. Her folksy understanding of the world keeps giving them useful insights into their own lives. This isn't written with teens in mind at all.

Here's a link to it if anyone is interested. It's well worth considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Tammy-out-Time-Ricketts-Sumner-ebook/dp/B07BDQ8RV4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tammy+out+of+time&qid=1568601060&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Barry

#7 ·
Mixed Doubles, by Daniel da Cruz—forgotten book by an almost forgotten author, but it is one of the best time travel stories ever written (this obviously limits its appeal)

Shades of Gray, by Timothy R. O’Neill—This one was republished on Kindle decades after the original publication, so not totally forgotten. A wonderful ghost story set at West Point.

The Brigadier Gerard series, by Arthur Conan Doyle (yes, the Sherlock Holmes guy!)—seventeen short stories published in two books, The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, and Adventures of Gerard. Over the top humor stories about a handsome, honorable, and terminally stupid French officer in the Napoleonic Wars. “How the Brigadier Slew the Fox” May be the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

#14 ·
"Ballad of the White Horse" a historical epic poem by G.K. Chesterton (something different for fans of Beowulf and Lord of the Rings.)

"Indiscretions of Archie" by P.G. Wodehouse (his Bertie and Jeeves series is well-known, but for some reason Archie slipped through the cracks.)

"The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey (a fascinating historical detective mystery.)

#15 ·
Limbo, by Bernard Wolfe. The author was Leon Trotsky's bodyguard while he was living with Frieda Kahlo and Diego Rivera in Mexico. (He was away when Trotz got axed.) His book concerns an unusual application of artificial-limb technology and a drastic peace movement, whose creator had no idea how hiw ideas would spread or what they would become.  Deep, and operates at so many levels...

#18 ·
Anything by H Beam Piper, but in particular his Little Fuzzy series.

He has a clean (classic :) ) style so that even though his work is from the 50's and 60's it doesn't feel outdated. With very little setting details so you only occasionally get caught out by words or items that haven't made it into the future. It is the people and interactions that make his books so re-readable even 60 years after they were written.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016K1CBJU/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Not sure how unknown he is as an author but he was well before my time!

#19 ·
The Hooded Claw said:
Mixed Doubles, by Daniel da Cruz-forgotten book by an almost forgotten author, but it is one of the best time travel stories ever written (this obviously limits its appeal)
I really enjoy time travel stories so I thought I would check this one out. I can only find it on Amazon as a used paperback for £40.99! I don't love time travel books quite that much!

#23 ·
I'll chip in with my two cents, if I might. "Minimum Wage Magic" by Rachel Aaron is one of the best contemporary fantasy books I've read so far, and hugely underrated/unknown, in my humble opinion. It's part of a trilogy and I'm currently partway through the second book, called "Part-Time Gods". The third book is titled "Night-Shift Dragons".

Anyone (like myself) who's ever worked themselves to the bone with little to no pay to show for it will definitely relate and appreciate the wit, humor, struggles, and triumphs that she brings to bear in her trilogy. It's a future fantasy with dragons and other cool magical beings and settings. The protagonist, Opal, is a riot and I could read about her for days on end.

If the author had a big marketing budget behind her, this series could easily rival and perhaps surpass today's bestselling novels. In terms of quality of writing, story development, and worldbuilding, she has no equal. Change my mind LOL 😂😂😂

#24 ·
The problem is that you can't search for a book you don't know about :rolleyes: . The best way to find interesting books that are new to you is to volunteer in a charity bookshop or your local library. Sorting out donated books exposes you to ALL sorts of books and you'll end up with a pile of TBR. In a library you can offer to return books to their shelves and this will also give you a wide variety of books that you probably have never heard of :)

#25 ·
I have a couple:

Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon In my opinion, this book can compete with The Lord of the Rings in the fantasy category. It's one of those huge stories that builds to a finale with perfection. It should have sold millions of copies...

On the Way to Heaven by Tina Wainscott -Rereleased as Until I Die Again by Jamie Rush. - This is my favorite romance ever. And I've read a lot. It's a soul swap story about a woman who died and got a second chance in another body. I think that bit of weirdness might have kept the book out of mainstream, but it is well worth the read.

#27 ·
Not unknown, but rarely mentioned - how about:-
Trent's Last Case: A Detective Novel (Also known as The Woman in Black): Amazon.co.uk: Bentley, E. C.: 9788027332199: Books

also known as :-

a very good read if you enjoy detective stories.

Edmund Clerihew Bentley, was the inventor of the "Clerihew" e.g.:-
George the Third Ought never to have occurred. One can only wonder At so grotesque a blunder.

:) Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.