Author Topic: October Spooky Movie Marathon  (Read 829 times)  

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Nina Huffney on Blogger
October Spooky Movie Marathon
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
It's already October 3rd! :o Got to get a move on with the movie-watching.

So far...
  • Lights Out - 2016 - This is one I appreciated more on repeat viewing. Interesting premise with the villain, though I'm still somewhat confused. But that's okay, 'cause I really like how it's done. Although there is violence and some blood, this movie might be considered tame by some horror fans and it's mostly 'clean' as far as sex/nudity and language.
  • Mulberry Street - 2006 - currently on Amazon Prime - Similar to a zombie movie but with mutant rats turning people into crazed killers. Not a great movie and the small budget shows in several ways, but still very tense and enjoyable with a surprising amount of character-delving.

Also, a video to help get in the morbid mood: Roger's Gardens: Halloween Boutique 2019

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    Re: October Spooky Movie Marathon
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:41:54 am »
    Someone should have made a move of A Night in the Lonesome October.

Oh well, I highly recommend it as my favorite Halloween read.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:18:14 am »
    I love watching scary movies in October, though I always end with Hocus Pocus and RHPS. I'll have to check out Mulberry St. Here's my list so far:

Crawl (2019)-surprisingly well written gator movie
    Birdbox (2018)-a must see

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:23 am »
    NogDog, I've read the description of A Night In The Lonesome October and it sounds like fun. I read Zelazny's Jack of Shadows decades ago and I wouldn't describe that one as 'fun'. I recall thinking it was intriguing and different. I've forgotten much, but what stuck with me most was when Jack drains a vampire and says 'Poor vampire - you didn't have much blood'.  8)

Betty Blast, I hadn't heard of Crawl. I've just viewed the trailer and it looks like a combination of disaster-movie and creature-feature. Cool! I was interested to see Sam Raimi's name as a producer since it was just last night that I rewatched...

Drag Me To Hell - 2009 - If you like a few comic touches with your horror, without feeling like you're watching a 'comedy', this is for you. That ending was all drama - in a good way. Spine-shivers every time.

Moodsetter... Lair of Voltaire: Gothic Homemaking - Michaels Halloween 2019

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »
    ...I read Zelazny's Jack of Shadows decades ago...

Zelazny is one of my favorite authors. I've probably read the original (first 5 books) "Amber" series over 30 times since I discovered it in the late '70s.  :o A Night in the Lonesome October is kind of similar to the "Amber" books in that it's in first person (well, "first dog", actually ;) ) and a sort of informal style, whereas some of his books get more experimental stylistically, with varying amounts of success.

Anyway, I'm thinking of watching "Twelve Monkeys" this weekend. Not sure if it qualifies as "spooky", but maybe sort-of/kind-of? It's on Amazon Prime right now: https://smile.amazon.com/12-Monkeys-Joseph-Melito/dp/B000I8COCQ

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:58:54 pm »
    The 'Amber' series is one I know only by reputation. I am not nearly as well-read as I wish I were! I did crack open one of the books, when I was younger, and thought 'This Random character sounds interesting'. I also loved the Jeff Jones painting on the paperback edition of Nine Princes In Amber.

I, for one, think Twelve Monkeys qualifies as 'spooky'.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 02:37:35 pm »
    Scaling one's standards. Is it embracing one's inner baseness? Or is it caving to lowbrow culture - an 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' survival tactic?

*shrug* All I know is I'm down for double features such as Pirahna 3DD + The Orphanage. Or The Return of The Living Dead + The Haunting (1963).

I did have a struggle, though, with Snakes On a Plane. The other night, I quit halfway. I hadn't remembered it being quite that stupid. I mean, I have a high tolerance for silly stuff, but idiocy is another matter. That said, maybe I just wasn't in the mood? Because, the next night, I enjoyed it more. What does that say about me? A guy's ear getting gouged by the heel of a pump... a snake striking from a toilet bowl to latch onto a man's penis... someone in a stampede shoving a woman and saying "Outa the way, Grandma!"... a microwave that has a button for 'Snake'?? But, I guess that's why they're called 'guilty pleasures'.

So, after witnessing gruesomely inventive snake-bites in the hundreds, as a palate cleanser, I watched Darkness Falls (2003). Admittedly, it has its own level of stupid going on (and it went way overboard with the screeching sounds), but at least it attempts to take its self seriously. Things I like: the look of the villain, a great first attack scene, how many times the 'hero' gets arrested, and when a cop mockingly taunts the hero who is locked up in jail: 'Is she going to get me?', 'Yes.'

Moodsetter: The Facts in the Case of Mister Hollow

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:39:15 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 02:52:50 pm »
    The Other (1972) - I have childhood memories of watching - and being shaken by - frightening stuff on TV. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Trilogy of Terror, Night Gallery... all somewhat disappointing when revisited as an adult. The Other, however, is better than I remembered.

Except for omitting the story's bookends device, the movie stuck closely to the novel.

Not to be confused with The Others (2001), which I also love.

October moodsetter: From the Mind of Christine McConnell - Antique Birdcage with Bat

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:54:54 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 11:26:55 am »
    I recommend Extraordinary Tales (2013) to Edgar Allan Poe fans. The five animated segments vary in style and quality but all range from good to excellent, IMO. The collection includes The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Masque of the Red Death.

I would love to see a follow-up include The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Black Cat, Hop-Frog, The Raven, and The Cask of Amontillado.

My favorite segment is The Fall of the House of Usher.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 08:32:15 pm »
    I still remember having the wits squared out of me as a child, watching the 1963 version of The Haunting. Saw it on tv twice in elementary school, havent seen it since!

A couple of years ago, long after it was cool to do so, I went through a phase of buying bluray collections at very low prices. I still have a Ray Harryhausen and a Vincent Price Blu-ray set that Ive watched only one movie each on. I ought to blow the dust of my disc player and watch some of those.

The one Vincent Price movie that I watched (and really the one I bought the collection for) was A Comedy of Terrors, with a very impressive cast. It was a horror comedy, and I thought it was da bomb in high school. It was one of those old loves that didnt hold up so well. Too bad, it was side-splitting at age fourteen!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »
    THC, speaking of "old loves that didn't hold up so well"... about five years ago I convinced my partner to buy a DVD of Mad Monster Party (1967) thinking it would be a good addition to our Halloween-viewing library. We both fell asleep partway through and haven't played it again since.

I actually watched The Haunting (1963) two nights ago. I didn't appreciate it as a child but, in recent years, I keep going back to it again and again. Partner has attention issues and rarely finishes a movie with me, and what he remembers best is Eleanor at the locked gate insisting "I'm supposed to come in. I'm expected". Now, whenever we encounter a sticky situation, we burst out "I'm expected!" and then laugh like loons.

I also just rewatched Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House (2018). I still think much of it is excellent, but some of the initial luster has worn off. This time, I was less forgiving of its lengthy dialogue sessions and moments of overblown melodrama/sentimentality.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 08:01:39 am »
    The Haunting of Hill House was too scary for me, I only made it through a few episodes. I haven't had time to watch many scary movies, but this week I saw The Shining and The Witches of Eastwick. The Witches of Eastwick (1987) was very unusual, lots of unexpected moments.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 02:10:26 pm »
    Betty Blast, your mention of The Witches of Eastwick has me bummed for not viewing many witch films this month. I wish I'd been able to fit these in:
    • The Witches
    • The Craft
    • Black Sunday
    • Practical Magic
    • American Horror Story: Coven
    • Burn Witch Burn
    • The Love Witch (haven't seen before, but it's on my streaming cue)

THoHH has quite a few scary moments. There is one in episode #8 that made me both jump and scream. A first for me. But my favorite shocker was the heartbreaking and horrific final sequence of episode #5.

I was enamored with the set design, so I'll add this link to a Hooked On Houses blogpost: The Real Manor From "The Haunting of Hill House"
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:18:16 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:51 am »
    The Love Witch looks interesting. The Craft and Practical Magic are two of my favorites. Two witch tv series that you should check out are Witches of East End  (2013) and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018).

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 02:14:31 pm »
    Betty Blast, I watched and enjoyed the first season of Witches of East End a couple of years ago. I recall loving the house and thinking Madchen Amick looked more stunning in her forties than in her twenties.

I've seen the first episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I really need to explore that series more.

Sleepy Hollow (1999). I've watched this one nearly a dozen times and it was only this last when it began to feel a bit tired. IMO, this is peak Tim Burton - the atmosphere is amazing. The quibbles I have are a few too many comic moments and a few too many bombastic cues in the musical score.

Trick 'r Treat (2007). To my mind, this is a near-perfect Halloween film. Multiple stories involve both natural and supernatural monsters. Not too tame, not too graphic, though perhaps not for the very young. The recurring character of 'Sam' is a memorable villain punishing those who disrespect the Halloween traditions. I really wish there had been a sequel. >:(

Some Halloween ambience from the Autumn Cozy YouTube channel.

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror XXIV couch gag (2013).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:24:16 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 09:45:19 am »
    That'll do it for me. I don't always manage this many movies in my spooky marathons, so I'm pretty pleased.

Please share further viewing suggestions. There are still six October days left. :)

ETA

Halloween Village... apparently, it's a screensaver but I just like watching the video.
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:49:56 am by Nina Huffney »

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »
    I love Sleepy Hollow, and agree it's one of the best Burton movies.

We  usually only watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show (original version, of course) and Ginger Snaps Back (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365265/). I have done the Penny Dreadful marathon re-watch early, skipping some parts of the Season 3 that I strongly disliked. Not being a great horror fan, I'll probably just watch Agatha Christie's Hallowe'en Party  :)   

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 09:06:12 am »
    I need to watch Sleepy Hollow again, it's a classic. I'll have to try Trick 'r Treat.  I just finished watching Pet Sematary (2019), it was a bit of a letdown. The writing lacked tension.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:16:24 am by Betty Blast »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 03:35:07 pm »
    Betty Blast, I was excited when I first saw the trailer for the latest Pet Sematary but I understand you weren't the only one to be disappointed. I was bummed to hear it since that is one of my favorite Stephen King books.

anguabell, your mention of Agatha Christie has me wanting to pull out Clue . It is one of the coziest of mystery movies and fitting for any time I'm in a trapped-in-a-mansion-with-a-dead-body mood.

I also enjoyed the first two Ginger Snaps movies but I haven't watched Ginger Snaps Back yet.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 03:37:47 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 08:18:48 am »
    Nina Huffney, Clue is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 11:19:18 am »
    I'd missed Clue in the theaters, but eventually recorded it onto tape when it aired on tv. That cassette was played to DEATH by Nina... in the living room... with the VCR.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 12:21:17 pm »
    Oh, I need to watch Clue!!!! Sounds great  :)

I just decided to add Van Helsing (with Hugh Jackman) for this week. Some nice fluffy werewolves are badly needed.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
    Oh, I need to watch Clue!!!! Sounds great  :)

I just decided to add Van Helsing (with Hugh Jackman) for this week. Some nice fluffy werewolves are badly needed.

I was intrigued by Van Helsing, but heard nothing but negative reviews, and never have watched it.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 02:22:25 pm »
    I was intrigued by Van Helsing, but heard nothing but negative reviews, and never have watched it.

I'm afraid it is extremely silly and the dialogs are abysmal, but it's fun nonetheless and the werewolves are indeed furry and fluffy.
    Of course, I am a person who thinks The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a great movie, so not exactly Siskel and Ebert  :D  I cannot stomach serious horrors.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
    I agree with anguabell on Van Helsing. I found it entertaining, but only go for it if you can tolerate high levels of ridiculousness. I do recall 'Velkan' being nice eye-candy. And I wished I could wear an outfit like 'Anna's, not to mention those glorious hair extensions!

BTW, for any fans of Clue, check out the '100 Clues' homage episode from season seven of Psych.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement