Author Topic: Dictation for writing  (Read 1945 times)  

Offline sela

• View Profile
Re: Dictation for writing
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 09:13:31 pm »
I just started dictating my novel using Google Docs. It's pretty decent except for the quotes on dialogue, but I need to edit my work after writing anyway, so I fix it at that point. I injured my shoulder and my right hand aches when I write, even in a proper ergonomic position, but dictating my novel doesn't hurt. I think it's pretty fast, too, although I haven't actually timed a session.
The Author Formerly Known As Sela

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 09:28:59 pm »
    I have Scrivener for iOS on my phone and have written entire books directly into Scrivener by just using the iPhone's native dictation, which you access through the microphone button next to the space bar on the keyboard. It's free!

The disadvantage is that it will only record 30 seconds at a time (giving you time to think), but I've just got a paid app that will record for longer (Dictate Pro). I then copy from the app into Scrivener and Notes (in case I goof up) and you can also email it to yourself.

I then import into the Mac version of Scrivener and fix it up straight away. Yes, sometimes it records weird things (based on background noise), but if you fix it straight away, that's not a problem. This is a really light edit just to get rid of the crud that makes me go WTF.

Offline AllenOwen

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 01:38:10 pm »
    What model microphone does everyone use? If I'm driving and want to dictate, I have to more or less scream to get the phone to it up.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 08:24:54 am »
    What model microphone does everyone use? If I'm driving and want to dictate, I have to more or less scream to get the phone to it up.

Take a look at "lapel mikes" on amazon. In recent times there has been an explosion of different makes and models and prices can be quite low. I would recommend trying to buy something mid-range to see if the sound quality is good enough for you.

I use an expensive over the ear microphone only headset in the car but you can easily get by with a clip on lapel mike.

For in car recording you have to be aware that road noise can severely affect sound quality. Open windows and gravel roads will defeat any and all noise reduction.

If you buy one for your phone, make sure that the description mentions the microphone is for use with phones (Android/iPad - they're the same thing). A lapel mike, or any mike, made for use with phones usually will not work with handheld recorders, and vice-versa.
    Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline AllenOwen

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 05:31:31 pm »
    Take a look at "lapel mikes" on amazon. In recent times there has been an explosion of different makes and models and prices can be quite low. I would recommend trying to buy something mid-range to see if the sound quality is good enough for you.

I use an expensive over the ear microphone only headset in the car but you can easily get by with a clip on lapel mike.

For in car recording you have to be aware that road noise can severely affect sound quality. Open windows and gravel roads will defeat any and all noise reduction.

If you buy one for your phone, make sure that the description mentions the microphone is for use with phones (Android/iPad - they're the same thing). A lapel mike, or any mike, made for use with phones usually will not work with handheld recorders, and vice-versa.

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Offline AllenOwen

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 12:17:30 pm »
    So how long does it take to get used to dictating? I find it harder to do this than writing. Like what I want to say comes slower than when I'm writing it, if that makes any sense. It also is frustrating when your speech to text app completely and utterly misinterprets what I just said, and I have to either stop in the middle of dictation to correct it, or risk being lost when I get a chance to look at what I just said. I got a cheap ($11.99) microphone from Amazon and I wonder if that is part of the problem.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
      • View Profile
      • Awesomegang
    « Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »
    So how long does it take to get used to dictating? I find it harder to do this than writing. Like what I want to say comes slower than when I'm writing it, if that makes any sense. It also is frustrating when your speech to text app completely and utterly misinterprets what I just said, and I have to either stop in the middle of dictation to correct it, or risk being lost when I get a chance to look at what I just said. I got a cheap ($11.99) microphone from Amazon and I wonder if that is part of the problem.

The cheap mic I would bet is 99% of the problem.

It takes some time. For me it was about 6 months. I also don't look at what is writing on screen, I go back and edit later.

Offline AllenOwen

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 01:29:40 pm »
    Im using Google Docs for my speech to text app. I was using something I found on the google store earlier.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 12:10:11 pm »
    I have an iPhone 4 (!) and recently began using the voice option for "writing" text messages. (As a touch typist, I detest having to pick out letters from a faux keyboard.) I am astonished at how nearly perfect it is after a very few outings -- it apparently gets accustomed to one's voice. I do say "question mark" and "period" and "exclamation mark" to punctuate.

I can't imagine writing anything more artful than a text that way. But I can't imagine dictating to a typist, either, as a certain British Prime Minister was wont to do.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline A. N. Other Author

• Staffordshire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 05:39:16 am »
    I am running DNS Ver 15 quite nicely under Parallels on my MacBook. That's not a good solution for everyone because the emulation software costs and so does a licence for Win 10, but it works better than the Mac only version ever did.

I keep hoping that Google will ramp up its voice recognition capabilities to include transcription.

Just wanted to second this. Although, I'm on v13 and find it works great (and is about one tenth the cost of V15 if you can find copy somewhere like eBay or used on Amazon).

I do expect pretty soon that Google or Microsoft will release some universal dictation software that'll be as good as Naturally Speaking. It'll probably need internet and privacy-invading cookies, etc, but hey - if the customer pays nothing, the customer is the product.

For now, I have recently got back into dictation. I take a few slow days to train the software, and then I'm 1800-2000 words per hour. Pretty accurate too :-)

Offline Crayola

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:20 pm »
    Just wanted to second this. Although, I'm on v13 and find it works great (and is about one tenth the cost of V15 if you can find copy somewhere like eBay or used on Amazon).

I do expect pretty soon that Google or Microsoft will release some universal dictation software that'll be as good as Naturally Speaking. It'll probably need internet and privacy-invading cookies, etc, but hey - if the customer pays nothing, the customer is the product.

For now, I have recently got back into dictation. I take a few slow days to train the software, and then I'm 1800-2000 words per hour. Pretty accurate too :-)

The newest version of MS Word has dictation built in :)

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 01:08:55 am »
    I use Dragon 12.5 (professional).

I dictate while doing chores around the house, using a sony dictaphone. Then upload the audio files to my pc and let dragon transcribe my hours of drivel.

Accuracy is still pretty hit and miss for me, but I don't take the time to 'train' it with each new document.

So far it hasn't been any faster than typing, however I do also get the laundry done

KBoards.com

• Advertisement