Author Topic: Okay... this has been bugging me.  (Read 4337 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
Okay... this has been bugging me.
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:28:25 am »
I hope I don't offend anyone with this, and I'm not a writer, so feel free to tell me to beat it.

I have noticed that a lot of authors are very poor spellers or at least are not careful in their posts on message boards. Some have typographical errors in their subject lines, others just in the body of their posts. Is this just a case of "letting your guard down" when you're here among friends? As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two.

Just a thought... what do you guys think though?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    Re: Okay... this has been bugging me.
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:37:24 am »
    I'm not offended, it bugs me too but I know that's my problem because I can be a bit of a pedant.

There are times when typos happen and then you've pressed submit and it's there. Or you don't notice til later. We're all human!

As a writer, if I took as much time editing and working on my posts as I do on my books then I'd never post anything.

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:38:39 am »
    Well books are generally edited before they are released so you shouldn't have to worry about spelling, etc.

Also this is an informal environment so I think people are more loose about their writing, etc. 

Offline traceya

• Brisbane, Australia
    • Tracey Alley
      • View Profile
      • Tracey Alley
    « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:40:11 am »
    Bugs me a little too but as it's such an informal setting I tend to think of it as similar to using slang in general conversation - something I'd never do in a formal setting  ???

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 05:46:58 am »
    Bugs me a little too but as it's such an informal setting I tend to think of it as similar to using slang in general conversation - something I'd never do in a formal setting  ???

A bit off topic...Although I have a decent vocabulary, I generally don't sound like it when I speak.  The reason for this is because where I grew up, and most of the people I currently know, including my coworkers, wouldn't understand half of what I said ???.  There is no point having a conversation if half of what you are saying is gibberish to the other person.  Not trying to derail the topic, but with your non-slang in a formal environment comment I had to comment also :).

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
    • I tell stories.
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 05:48:23 am »
    If it is just a simple typo in a forum post like this thread, I don't think it is a big deal. Typos happen. However, if it is something like this...

I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing.

Yeeeah...I read something like that, and there's no chance I'll even glance at your work.

David Dalglish
      |    |  |

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:51:34 am »
    If it is just a simple typo in a forum post like this thread, I don't think it is a big deal. Typos happen. However, if it is something like this...

Yeeeah...I read something like that, and there's no chance I'll even glance at your work.

David Dalglish

Exactamundo....

People make mistakes, and you can get a feel for the quality of someone's writing from their forum posts, from their sentence structure and general way they "talk". The odd typo can be forgiven but consistent bad writing will put me off.

Offline Daniel Arenson

• Toronto, Canada
    • DanielArenson.com
      • View Profile
      • DanielArenson.com -- fantasy novels, free stories, free writing tips
    « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:56:37 am »
    In my opinion, the occasional spelling mistake, typo, or grammatical error is acceptable in such a casual board, especially since many of us post here multiple times a day.  Personally, I average nine daily KindleBoards posts.  At least half of these are posted sneakily from work, where I don't have the time or privacy to review/edit what I wrote.  Of course, I take much more care with my novels, and edit them thoroughly.

So I forgive a typo here and there.  But if it's something like the example David pasted, that's a different story; I agree an author should do better than that.  :)

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:27 am »
    You guys are starting to make me paranoid.  Although I do pay decent attention to spelling, my sentence structure is far from perfect on these board.  I'm still of the mind that it's an informal place as long as it's not crazy bad.

What david posted is actually very hard to read and understand, so I can see where you guys are coming from with that.  Like DArenson I'm posting from work so everything is rushed when I post.

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:38 am »
    Jason
    I'll be one of the first to leap up and admit to it
    I am sorry for my typos (what few I think there may be- but I'm sure there are a few)
    I find that I am usually writing something here on the boards just as I am running off to work (not only to post a thought or two but also, yes, selfishly, in hopes of being able to read some responses when I return home)

But that's no excuse.
    I am after all trying to make sales.

You are correct that there is a kind of informal atmosphere here and yet some of us are trying to make sales because there are people of some import who read these postings (some might even have publishing or Hollywood connections and I admit I am hoping to have someone, someday, make me an offer on my books)

Still, despite the informalitiy-- your one comment struck me today "As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two."

I promise I will try harder to be in here 'dressing' better.

David you made a good point as well. I want to make sales, and with all sales, (be it selling cars, pizza, books....) 'looks' are the first impressions people see. That includes typos as well as the way one speaks.

If you go to an event and want an autograph from a favorite actor, you may think twice about paying to see future work from that actor if the person you enjoy on screen is, in public, a rude badly dressed, loud mouthed idiot. (and all of you will have your own actor examples to plop here ha ha ha)

Good thread!
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:08:08 am by Frank Zubek »

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 06:05:27 am »
    I definitely have typos in some of my posts.  If I catch them, I fix them, because whether I like it or not, as a writer, I am held to a higher standard.  I understand that and accept it.  There are days I'd love to be able to throw out a post without backing up and capitalizing that "I" or fixing my "ot" to "to"...but I do realize that my posts are a reflection of my writing ability.  As they should be.

Offline Dawn McCullough White

• New York
    • ~Year of the Rooster baby~
      • View Profile
      • Dawn McCullough White
    « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:07:07 am »
    :)  I'm horrible with comma splices, and run-ons and probably lots of other grammatical errors I don't even think about.  This is why I have a professional editor who goes through my novels before I release them for the general public.  Unfortunately I can't afford to have her edit all of my forum posts, though that would be wonderful (and annoying) to have her following me around, correcting all my problems.

Dawn
    ~Sometimes the anti-hero is the only hero you can find~          

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:07:48 am »
    Hey 911Jason!

You really got us thinking there.
    Thank you.

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 06:12:26 am »
    Yeah, don't sugarcoat it 911Jason

Tell us what you REALLY think ha ha ha

Great thread!  Have a good weekend.

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 06:13:04 am »
    :)  I'm horrible with comma splices, and run-ons and probably lots of other grammatical errors I don't even think about.  This is why I have a professional editor who goes through my novels before I release them for the general public.  Unfortunately I can't afford to have her edit all of my forum posts, though that would be wonderful (and annoying) to have her following me around, correcting all my problems.

Dawn

Exactly.  I understand if it's crazy bad...but a few things here and there shouldn't be taken out of context and make you think their writing is like that.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I would hope a place like this would be more relaxed.  I guess I was wrong, eh?

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:14:33 am »
    I'll note that there is a spell check feature that many people forget about; after you've been posting here awhile, it disappears into the wallpaper, but it's there to the right of "Post" and "Preview" below the text box when you're posting.  :D

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:27:25 am »
    What David quoted:
    I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing.
    while pretty atrocious as far as spelling and all, is really more a problem of attitude.

Personally, I can forgive the odd spelling, grammar, or punctuation error.  But I admit to putting authors on my "Do Not Buy" list solely because of 'attitude' I detect in their posts. . .even posts that are immaculate as far as editing is concerned.  If you're trying to sell your books, you also sort of have to sell yourself, so it's important to make sure that even your informal posts show you as you wish to appear to prospective readers.

I also am WAY more likely to try your book if I come across your posts ELSEWHERE than in the Bazaar and the Cafe! ::)

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
    Elsewhere??

I shouldn't be spending the time I spend in the cafe as it is!

ha ha ha   Juuuuuuust kidding
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:57:52 am by Frank Zubek »

Offline daveconifer

• Atlantic City
      • View Profile
      • DaveConifer.com
    « Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 06:54:26 am »
     "I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing."

Is this real?

I hope it wasn't from anything I posted!

The Song Remains the Same

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:23 am »
    "I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing."

Is this real?

I hope it wasn't from anything I posted!

The Song Remains the Same

As near as I can tell, it was nothing posted on this forum; at least nothing that is still here.   ::)

Betsy

• Missouri
    • I tell stories.
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:28 am »
    It is real, but I won't say where from or by who. And no, it wasn't this forum.

David Dalglish
      |    |  |

Offline Cliff Ball

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Homepage
    « Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 07:04:45 am »
    I'm a nitpicker with my writing. I can't stand spelling something wrong, having bad grammar, or wrong punctuation, even on message boards. It bugs me too to see posts that are full of errors(and I go back and edit what I did wrong, how obsessive is that? ha ha), but, I haven't really been super annoyed with it since I went online 10 years ago. Back then, I had to stay away from message boards! ha ha
    The End Times Saga - Christian Fiction

Cliff Ball | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    « Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:36 am »
    I hope I don't offend anyone with this, and I'm not a writer, so feel free to tell me to beat it.

I have noticed that a lot of authors are very poor spellers or at least are not careful in their posts on message boards. Some have typographical errors in their subject lines, others just in the body of their posts. Is this just a case of "letting your guard down" when you're here among friends? As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two.

Just a thought... what do you guys think though?

You're right. I can't even use the fact that I am blind in one eye as an excuse. I've been using the spell check more often for these posts. However, when it comes to the Blackberry responses, I have fat fingers and no spell check. Besides, we need as many critics as we can get. It keeps our egos in check - egos that would dominate the world and horripilate the little children in the streets of Gomorrah.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:11:27 am by Edward C. Patterson »
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 07:08:13 am »
    I definitely have typos in some of my posts.  If I catch them, I fix them, because whether I like it or not, as a writer, I am held to a higher standard.  I understand that and accept it.  There are days I'd love to be able to throw out a post without backing up and capitalizing that "I" or fixing my "ot" to "to"...but I do realize that my posts are a reflection of my writing ability.  As they should be.

I'm pretty much of the same mind as Maria.

JimC

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 08:11:01 am »
    Tpyos? Waht tpyos? I've nver had a typo in my lfe!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
      • I adventure hard so you don't have to!
        • View Profile
        • Sean Sweeney, Author
      « Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 08:23:21 am »
      Bloody typos! Let's flog them all! That'll teach them to typo when they are not supposed to typo!
      Sean Sweeney, formerly John Fitch V -- author of 28 novels and counting.

Sean's Bookstore page: http://www.seansweeneyauthor.com/bookstore-2/

Want to know when my next book arrives?
      http://seansweeneyauthor.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efd3d6c4705dc36027cb9f499&id=9ac41daa3e

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:22 am »

David Dalglish

I saw it too--not that long ago either. I can't recall where I saw it, but I recognized it immediately when David posted it because I had the same thoughts he did and cringed as a fellow indie author. :(

Offline Sandra Edwards

• Lake Tahoe, NV
        • View Profile
        • Sandra Edwards, Author
      « Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 08:35:40 am »
      My excuse is that my fingers type faster than my brain works *snort* -- That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The reason writers are oftentimes blinded to their own typos is that our brains know what the text is supposed to say and it reads it as such...which is why having a couple of good critique partners is a must.

I tend to be informal on message boards, forums, IMs and email. So, I don't tend to hold typos or punctuation errors against people.

But David's example was a "what the...." moment for me. lol. That's an author I'd never read--if I knew who it was.

Sandy

Offline Randolphlalonde

• Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
        • View Profile
        • www.randolphlalonde.com
      « Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:10 am »
      I think it's fair to include everything you've seen from an author (boards included), when you're looking at making a purchase. Minor typos on a forum are to be expected, however, since most of us are here socially.

I personally avoid authors who can't string a casual sentence together, it's just a reflex. As for spelling errors on the board, there's really no reason for them since there's a built in spell check.

Offline R. M. Reed

• Glendale, CA
        • View Profile
        • Barstow Productions
      « Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 09:04:43 am »
      An author who cannot compose a correctly written missive with style and a dash of epistolary wisdom and crepuscular decorum is an author the novels of whom I will have no regard, forthwith.

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
        • View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
      I was recently hanging out at a different (non-reading/writing) message board and couldn't take the typos and horrible grammar! The kindleboards  are WAAAY better than most of the internet because at least we all know the difference between their/they're/there and when to use an apostrophe. The occasional typo or lazy typing doesn't bother me that much because overall, this place is far above most of the rest of the Internet. :)

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
        • View Profile
        • Sarah Barnard
      « Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
      An author who cannot compose a correctly written missive with style and a dash of epistolary wisdom and crepuscular decorum is an author the novels of whom I will have no regard, forthwith.

Brilliant.  ;D

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
        • View Profile
        • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
      « Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 10:02:20 am »
      This is a great thread! And I'll admit to being more informal posting than in my books. However, I try (both here and in the books) to offer a sense of writing style and voice. Just because they're reference books doesn't mean they must be dry, creaky dismal reading with dust wafting from virtual pages, LOL! Nope, I want the reader to smile at the fur-kid chasing the water hose, or a kitty with her tail in a twist over not catching that birdy tidbit (is "birdy" a word spell-check would gnosh?).

So I try to spell and rite the goodest I know...but I also give myself purr-mission to make up words. And to use fragments. For effect. (or affect?).

woofs & purrs,
      amy

p.s., My fiction WIP includes dog POV...and everyone knows dogs can't spell.  :P

Offline Chris J. Randolph

• Rocklin, CA
      • Piloting Alien Spaceships
        • View Profile
        • Oktopod Digital Press
      « Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 10:25:40 am »
      My own policy is to always write as if the whole world is reading it.  The occasional typo slips by, but I will undoubtedly flagellate myself for the error with a medieval flail, and then weep in the corner until morning comes.  I don't hold other posters up to the same standards, however.  I know that most folks just want to communicate, and so long as their message is intelligible, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lovely, but in the spirit of the topic, I feel I must point out what I believe to be a very minor grammatical misstep.  While trying to prevent a sentence terminal preposition, it seems you've stranded have no regard without a preposition which would normally connect it to its indirect object (the novels in this case).  If we restructure that portion of the sentence into a more colloquial form, I believe you'd agree that no gentleman of fine upbringing would say, "I have no regard the novels."

May I recommend as a possible replacement either:
      An author who cannot compose a correctly written missive with style and a dash of epistolary wisdom and crepuscular decorum is an author for whose novels I will have no regard, forthwith.

Or conceivably:
      An author who cannot compose a correctly written missive with style and a dash of epistolary wisdom and crepuscular decorum is an author the novels of whom I will hold in ill regard, forthwith.

And since I'm already at it:
      An author who cannot compose a correctly written missive with style, a dash of epistolary wisdom and crepuscular decorum is an author the novels of whom I will hold in ill regard, forthwith.

Playfully yours, and hopefully without offense, ;)
      ~Chris
        Stars Rain Down Now Available!
          In the ashes of invasion, mankind struggles for survival.
          Some will run,
          Others will hide,
          But a few will rise up and fight back.
          What would you fight for? What would you die for?

Stars Rain Down Only $2.99 in the Kindle store

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
        • View Profile
      « Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:06 am »
      I agree, if I see horrible grammar and misspellings (which is different from typos) I shy away from that author's work.  If they can't get to/too/two correct, I know spell check isn't going to help them.

A typo or two, not a big deal.  Sentences that you can hardly read?  Sorry, I'll shy away from your book.

Now, I must say I haven't found a lot of authors who have this trouble here in these forums.

Vicki
      Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

• Allentown, PA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »

I had crespescular on rye for lunch (with a good Chianti, Clari . . .)  ;D

Ed Patterson

• Allentown, PA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »
      My own policy is to always write as if the whole world is reading it.  The occasional typo slips by, but I will undoubtedly flagellate myself for the error with a medieval flail, and then weep in the corner until morning comes.  I don't hold other posters up to the same standards, however.  I know that most folks just want to communicate, and so long as their message is intelligible, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lovely, but in the spirit of the topic, I feel I must point out what I believe to be a very minor grammatical misstep.  While trying to prevent a sentence terminal preposition, it seems you've stranded have no regard without a preposition which would normally connect it to its indirect object (the novels in this case). 

I was once stranded without a preposition. Luckily, I had taken my Viagra.  ;D

Ed Patterson

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
        • View Profile
        • Kindle Screensavers
      « Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »
      I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses so far. I agree with the general sentiment that the occasional typo is not an issue. The mistakes that really catch my eye though, are specifically those that are in a thread intended to promote that author's work. I'm often blown away thinking it's similar to seeing Coca-Kola on a billboard or Pepsy on a television commercial. Yet, it's worse... since for an author, it CAN predict the quality of their product.

Offline Paul Clayton

• Third Planet from the sun.
      • Paul Clayton
        • View Profile
        • Carl  Melcher Goes to Vietnam
      « Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 01:40:13 pm »
      I'm usually very careful, but due to the informality of this place, and my haste sometimes, I may mispell.  If I'm posting something long, like the things I do for The Nervous Breakdown, I defintely take my time and make sure it's perfect before I upload.  But here, sometimes in the heat of it.  I may suffer from premature epublication  and I might not run spell Czech.  But that's rare.

• Allentown, PA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »
      I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses so far. I agree with the general sentiment that the occasional typo is not an issue. The mistakes that really catch my eye though, are specifically those that are in a thread intended to promote that author's work. I'm often blown away thinking it's similar to seeing Coca-Kola on a billboard or Pepsy on a television commercial. Yet, it's worse... since for an author, it CAN predict the quality of their product.

Now that you mention Coca-cola, that brings to mind the Chinese expression for I'm thirsty, which is wo yao k'ou-k'o le (literally, my mouth needs moisture). For thousands of years the Chinese, when thirsty, have been asking for Coca-cola.  ;D

Ed Patterson
      Keeping it light, better than tight.

Offline Nell Gavin

• Tulsa, OK
      • Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn
        • View Profile
        • Nell Gavin
      « Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »
      I'm so anal that I can't post anything without going back to modify it. I don't get it, when writers let their bra straps show and don't care that their zippers are open. I'm slowly recovering from my OCD in that respect, but David is right, and I would never look at a book by someone who can't write a literate post.

Nell Gavin

Offline Nell Gavin

• Tulsa, OK
      • Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn
        • View Profile
        • Nell Gavin
      « Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 02:01:40 pm »

Your language is too copious for my diminutive comprehension. I would appreciate it if you would elucidate more emphatically in the future. Thank you.

Nell Gavin

• Missouri
      • I tell stories.
        • View Profile
        • Official Website
      « Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
      Your language is too copious for my diminutive comprehension. I would appreciate it if you would elucidate more emphatically in the future. Thank you.

David liks purdy big werds.
        |    |  |

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
        • View Profile
        • Kindle Screensavers
      « Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

Must be hard to read his screen through all the saliva! ;D

Offline R. M. Reed

• Glendale, CA
        • View Profile
        • Barstow Productions
      « Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 03:23:43 pm »
      If you think we make mistakes here, read the comments on YouTube. You will think literacy is dead.

• Allentown, PA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

Did you say purdy? Shades of Desire Under the Elms. (cuss it, I'm gwen to Californeyay!)

Ed Patterson (and Eugene O'Neill)

Offline horse_girl

• SFWA member
        • View Profile
      « Reply #46 on: August 07, 2010, 03:35:20 pm »
      I think Ed's been into the ale or something. If he's sober...oh, boy  :o

On topic, I have to agree with those who say this is an informal setting. I know I make mistakes, but if I see something, I'll go back and fix it. I can forgive the occasional typos and grammar errors, if they're few and far between.

If an author is promoting their work, though, I'm wary too of errors in such posts. I can certainly agree with that sentiment. (and, no, Ed, that sentiment is not settling to the bottom of a lake  ;D )

• Allentown, PA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »
      I"m celebrating today the completion of my 16th novel. Ale? I'm into the Milanos.

Offline Joyce DeBacco

• Southwest Florida, USA
        • View Profile
      « Reply #48 on: August 07, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »
      I can't "not" self-edit anything I write. It just comes automatically. Even when I write a grocery list I make sure it's spelled right.

Joyce

Offline Valmore Daniels

• Valmore Daniels
        • View Profile
        • Valmore Daniels Website
      « Reply #49 on: August 07, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »
      I'm a writer, not a speller, dammit!  (jk ;) )

Valmore Daniels | Website | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

• Alexandria, VA
          • View Profile
          • Betsy True Designs
        « Reply #50 on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:48 pm »
        I'm a writer, not a speller, dammit!  (jk ;) )
        ;)
        Which is why the Forum software had a spell check button.
         ;D

Betsy

Offline Carolyn Kephart

• View Profile
          • Carolyn Kephart: A Writing Life
        « Reply #51 on: August 07, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »
        crepuscular decorum

Can we add matutinal and vespertine?  ;)

I'm a pitiless stickler, but only where my own stuff is concerned. There are people who can't spell or punctuate, yet still write like angels; I've met more than a few.

CK

Offline Alice Y. Yeh

• Ann Arbor, MI
          • View Profile
          • Alice Unblocked
        « Reply #52 on: August 07, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »
        I'll agree with all of the above.

With that being said, it's far worse when you find these kinds of errors in product summaries. I was browsing Kindle books when I came across a paragraph in which the author lauds his own brilliance. Unfortunately, nobody told him that "tngling" does not belong in the same sentence as "genius".

I can forgive a typographical error like that on a forum (though the hubris displayed by the rest of the sentence might kill your sale right then and there). I can't overlook the same sorts of mistakes on Amazon.

• Allentown, PA
          • View Profile
        « Reply #53 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
        Can we add matutinal and vespertine?  ;)

I'm a pitiless stickler, but only where my own stuff is concerned. There are people who can't spell or punctuate, yet still write like angels; I've met more than a few.

CK

That's why the editing comes after the creativity and has very little to do with art. It's more a logistical matter for legibility. Without it we couldn't understand which cereal provides us with fiber and which is just fun. This is why I insist that there's a difference between a writer and an author. While an author needs to write, a writer is never required to author.  ;D

Edward C. Porcupine

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
        • Only a fool can rule the world.
          • View Profile
          • Brendan Carroll
        « Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:47 pm »

David Dalglish
        Thank God! I thought that was one of mine. :o Yep, I've seen a lot of things that bug me, too, but I like to think that I'm not a stickler to the extent that I would start trying to correct other people when I still find mistakes in my own books every time I care to pick them up.  It always makes me wonder how in the world those millions of books out there that seem to be perfect got that way.  But yes, the forum is a bit less formal, I'm thinking.

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
        • Will work for cookies
          • View Profile
          • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
        « Reply #55 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »
        My work is checked and doubled checked by those paid to understand the complexities of language and grammar; my postings are not. While I would expect the average author to be able to post coherently, the occasional run on sentence, inverted words or letters (teh, anyone?) and odd typos don't bother me, and I don't get upset with myself if I've posted something without catching my own mistakes.

Still, if someone who offers themselves up as a writer and proceeds to fill the screen with AOL-TeenSpeak, I'm less likely to take said writer seriously. Not that I won't give that person a chance, but it might take more effort to look past it all.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
          • View Profile
          • Kindle Screensavers
        « Reply #56 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »
        My work is checked and doubled checked by those paid to understand the complexities of language and grammar; my postings are not.

Would you say that most independently published authors use professional editors and/or proofreaders? I've seen a few posts about editing and a few asking for beta readers, but I just assumed that most self-edit. If I'm wrong, that's a good thing! ;)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
          • View Profile
          • Kindle Screensavers
        « Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »
        That's encouraging to hear! I hope that's the case with many of the authors, although I still doubt that for some reason. As for the formatting errors, I can totally understand your frustration with that one! Thanks for the response! =)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement