Author Topic: My Brother  (Read 2675 times)  

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
  • ...should be working on WIP...
    • View Profile
    • Research Triangle Publications
Re: My Brother
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 08:41:01 am »
Geez--just what I needed to start my weekend off right: a few tears!  Clearly you are a gifted writer, if even your forum posts elicit such emotion.

And I will add to the topic of author family support by giving my 70+ year old dad some props.  He was the first person to read my first draft, and he volunteered to do it. I never would have asked, as he's strictly an action/adventure/espionage guy.  Romantic suspense isn't exactly his cup of tea.  The mere fact that he read through the whole thing was praise enough (and I know he did, 'cause I quizzed him!).

--Maria

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JCPhelps

• South Dakota, USA
      • View Profile
      • JC Phelps Blog
    « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 08:57:02 am »
    Great story! 

Asking someone to read our work is a big deal.  Not only for us, but for the reader as well.  It's a huge investment in time for everyone involved and a much bigger investment for those that love us.  How can they tell us, without hurting us, that our work sucks?  They have to rely on faith, when they take on the endeavor, that we are as good as we hope we are.  I am glad I'm the writer, rather than the family member or friend.

I remember, though, when I handed out my first book to an avid reader/friend who promised to do edits for me.  When she brought it back, with her red pen marks, she said she really liked the book. 

Then she added, "I have to say, I am surprised that you could write a book."  She admitted to being worried that it might not be any good and then what would she do? 

I wasn't sure if I should be offended or flattered.  I choose to take it as a compliment. (most days)

JC Phelps
    Author of Color Me Grey, Shades of Grey and Reflections of Grey

Offline Steven L. Hawk

• Boise, ID
      • View Profile
      • Steven L. Hawk's Website
    « Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 03:13:05 pm »
    Dude.  Thanks for sharing a wonderful story with us. 

The one regret I have with my book is that my sis (who I dedicated my book to) passed away last year, after a 2-year fight with cancer.  She will never get to read mine, but it warms my heart that your brother was able to read yours. 

Steve

Steven L. Hawk | My Website

Offline rcanepa

• View Profile
      • RCanepa.net
    « Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »
    That's awesome, dude. :)  Wow.

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:48 pm »
    Thanks, everyone. This really meant a lot to me. Frankly, I was surprised it meant as much as it did. I didn't expect to get that moved by it. Just goes to show, you're never too jaded that someone, somewhere, can't reach you.

Offline farrellclaire

• Ireland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
    I haven't told any of my family yet - some of the stories here kinda make me want to.   :)

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 07:56:59 pm »
    Just got an email from a childhood bud. Yup. He's read it, too. And get this, it was recommended to him by someone else (NOT my brother!)

Cool!

Offline Paul Clayton

• Third Planet from the sun.
    • Paul Clayton
      • View Profile
      • Carl  Melcher Goes to Vietnam
    « Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 09:47:10 pm »
    Good for you, David.  I had my older brother, a David also, read White Seed.  He read it, all 492 pages.  I asked him what he thought.  "It's alright," he said. 

Offline traceya

• Brisbane, Australia
    • Tracey Alley
      • View Profile
      • Tracey Alley
    « Reply #33 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:26 am »
    Your story really touched my heart David - I had a similar experience with my Mum.  Because she'd been sick for so long and I cared for her we became so much more than just mother and daughter, more like best friends.

When I'd finished the rough draft of the Witchcraft Wars series I really wanted her to read it but I was as nervous as all h*#@.... my mother never lied, couldn't lie - just didn't have it in her and I knew that if she didn't like it or think it was any good she would tell me..... I cried the day she handed it back and her words -'that's a great story and I think you're a great writer'.  I'm crying a little bit now when I think about it.... I only wish she'd lived long enough to see it actually for sale.

Need tissues now,
    Trace

KBoards.com

• Advertisement