Author Topic: Okay... this has been bugging me.  (Read 4340 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Okay... this has been bugging me.
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:48 pm »
I'm a writer, not a speller, dammit!  (jk ;) )
;)
Which is why the Forum software had a spell check button.
 ;D

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Carolyn Kephart

• View Profile
      • Carolyn Kephart: A Writing Life
    « Reply #51 on: August 07, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »
    crepuscular decorum

Can we add matutinal and vespertine?  ;)

I'm a pitiless stickler, but only where my own stuff is concerned. There are people who can't spell or punctuate, yet still write like angels; I've met more than a few.

CK

Offline Alice Y. Yeh

• Ann Arbor, MI
      • View Profile
      • Alice Unblocked
    « Reply #52 on: August 07, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »
    I'll agree with all of the above.

With that being said, it's far worse when you find these kinds of errors in product summaries. I was browsing Kindle books when I came across a paragraph in which the author lauds his own brilliance. Unfortunately, nobody told him that "tngling" does not belong in the same sentence as "genius".

I can forgive a typographical error like that on a forum (though the hubris displayed by the rest of the sentence might kill your sale right then and there). I can't overlook the same sorts of mistakes on Amazon.

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    « Reply #53 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
    Can we add matutinal and vespertine?  ;)

I'm a pitiless stickler, but only where my own stuff is concerned. There are people who can't spell or punctuate, yet still write like angels; I've met more than a few.

CK

That's why the editing comes after the creativity and has very little to do with art. It's more a logistical matter for legibility. Without it we couldn't understand which cereal provides us with fiber and which is just fun. This is why I insist that there's a difference between a writer and an author. While an author needs to write, a writer is never required to author.  ;D

Edward C. Porcupine
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline Brendan Carroll

• Texas
    • Only a fool can rule the world.
      • View Profile
      • Brendan Carroll
    « Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 06:17:47 pm »
    It is real, but I won't say where from or by who. And no, it wasn't this forum.

David Dalglish
    Thank God! I thought that was one of mine. :o Yep, I've seen a lot of things that bug me, too, but I like to think that I'm not a stickler to the extent that I would start trying to correct other people when I still find mistakes in my own books every time I care to pick them up.  It always makes me wonder how in the world those millions of books out there that seem to be perfect got that way.  But yes, the forum is a bit less formal, I'm thinking.

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #55 on: August 07, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »
    My work is checked and doubled checked by those paid to understand the complexities of language and grammar; my postings are not. While I would expect the average author to be able to post coherently, the occasional run on sentence, inverted words or letters (teh, anyone?) and odd typos don't bother me, and I don't get upset with myself if I've posted something without catching my own mistakes.

Still, if someone who offers themselves up as a writer and proceeds to fill the screen with AOL-TeenSpeak, I'm less likely to take said writer seriously. Not that I won't give that person a chance, but it might take more effort to look past it all.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #56 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »
    My work is checked and doubled checked by those paid to understand the complexities of language and grammar; my postings are not.

Would you say that most independently published authors use professional editors and/or proofreaders? I've seen a few posts about editing and a few asking for beta readers, but I just assumed that most self-edit. If I'm wrong, that's a good thing! ;)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #57 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »
    That's encouraging to hear! I hope that's the case with many of the authors, although I still doubt that for some reason. As for the formatting errors, I can totally understand your frustration with that one! Thanks for the response! =)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement