Author Topic: Okay... this has been bugging me.  (Read 4362 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
Okay... this has been bugging me.
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:28:25 am »
I hope I don't offend anyone with this, and I'm not a writer, so feel free to tell me to beat it.

I have noticed that a lot of authors are very poor spellers or at least are not careful in their posts on message boards. Some have typographical errors in their subject lines, others just in the body of their posts. Is this just a case of "letting your guard down" when you're here among friends? As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two.

Just a thought... what do you guys think though?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    Re: Okay... this has been bugging me.
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:37:24 am »
    I'm not offended, it bugs me too but I know that's my problem because I can be a bit of a pedant.

There are times when typos happen and then you've pressed submit and it's there. Or you don't notice til later. We're all human!

As a writer, if I took as much time editing and working on my posts as I do on my books then I'd never post anything.

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:38:39 am »
    Well books are generally edited before they are released so you shouldn't have to worry about spelling, etc.

Also this is an informal environment so I think people are more loose about their writing, etc. 

Offline traceya

• Brisbane, Australia
    • Tracey Alley
      • View Profile
      • Tracey Alley
    « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:40:11 am »
    Bugs me a little too but as it's such an informal setting I tend to think of it as similar to using slang in general conversation - something I'd never do in a formal setting  ???

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 05:46:58 am »
    Bugs me a little too but as it's such an informal setting I tend to think of it as similar to using slang in general conversation - something I'd never do in a formal setting  ???

A bit off topic...Although I have a decent vocabulary, I generally don't sound like it when I speak.  The reason for this is because where I grew up, and most of the people I currently know, including my coworkers, wouldn't understand half of what I said ???.  There is no point having a conversation if half of what you are saying is gibberish to the other person.  Not trying to derail the topic, but with your non-slang in a formal environment comment I had to comment also :).

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
    • I tell stories.
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 05:48:23 am »
    If it is just a simple typo in a forum post like this thread, I don't think it is a big deal. Typos happen. However, if it is something like this...

I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing.

Yeeeah...I read something like that, and there's no chance I'll even glance at your work.

David Dalglish
      |    |  |

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:51:34 am »
    If it is just a simple typo in a forum post like this thread, I don't think it is a big deal. Typos happen. However, if it is something like this...

Yeeeah...I read something like that, and there's no chance I'll even glance at your work.

David Dalglish

Exactamundo....

People make mistakes, and you can get a feel for the quality of someone's writing from their forum posts, from their sentence structure and general way they "talk". The odd typo can be forgiven but consistent bad writing will put me off.

Offline Daniel Arenson

• Toronto, Canada
    • DanielArenson.com
      • View Profile
      • DanielArenson.com -- fantasy novels, free stories, free writing tips
    « Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:56:37 am »
    In my opinion, the occasional spelling mistake, typo, or grammatical error is acceptable in such a casual board, especially since many of us post here multiple times a day.  Personally, I average nine daily KindleBoards posts.  At least half of these are posted sneakily from work, where I don't have the time or privacy to review/edit what I wrote.  Of course, I take much more care with my novels, and edit them thoroughly.

So I forgive a typo here and there.  But if it's something like the example David pasted, that's a different story; I agree an author should do better than that.  :)

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:27 am »
    You guys are starting to make me paranoid.  Although I do pay decent attention to spelling, my sentence structure is far from perfect on these board.  I'm still of the mind that it's an informal place as long as it's not crazy bad.

What david posted is actually very hard to read and understand, so I can see where you guys are coming from with that.  Like DArenson I'm posting from work so everything is rushed when I post.

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:00:38 am »
    Jason
    I'll be one of the first to leap up and admit to it
    I am sorry for my typos (what few I think there may be- but I'm sure there are a few)
    I find that I am usually writing something here on the boards just as I am running off to work (not only to post a thought or two but also, yes, selfishly, in hopes of being able to read some responses when I return home)

But that's no excuse.
    I am after all trying to make sales.

You are correct that there is a kind of informal atmosphere here and yet some of us are trying to make sales because there are people of some import who read these postings (some might even have publishing or Hollywood connections and I admit I am hoping to have someone, someday, make me an offer on my books)

Still, despite the informalitiy-- your one comment struck me today "As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two."

I promise I will try harder to be in here 'dressing' better.

David you made a good point as well. I want to make sales, and with all sales, (be it selling cars, pizza, books....) 'looks' are the first impressions people see. That includes typos as well as the way one speaks.

If you go to an event and want an autograph from a favorite actor, you may think twice about paying to see future work from that actor if the person you enjoy on screen is, in public, a rude badly dressed, loud mouthed idiot. (and all of you will have your own actor examples to plop here ha ha ha)

Good thread!
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:08:08 am by Frank Zubek »

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 06:05:27 am »
    I definitely have typos in some of my posts.  If I catch them, I fix them, because whether I like it or not, as a writer, I am held to a higher standard.  I understand that and accept it.  There are days I'd love to be able to throw out a post without backing up and capitalizing that "I" or fixing my "ot" to "to"...but I do realize that my posts are a reflection of my writing ability.  As they should be.

Offline Dawn McCullough White

• New York
    • ~Year of the Rooster baby~
      • View Profile
      • Dawn McCullough White
    « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:07:07 am »
    :)  I'm horrible with comma splices, and run-ons and probably lots of other grammatical errors I don't even think about.  This is why I have a professional editor who goes through my novels before I release them for the general public.  Unfortunately I can't afford to have her edit all of my forum posts, though that would be wonderful (and annoying) to have her following me around, correcting all my problems.

Dawn
    ~Sometimes the anti-hero is the only hero you can find~          

Offline SarahBarnard

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Barnard
    « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:07:48 am »
    Hey 911Jason!

You really got us thinking there.
    Thank you.

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 06:12:26 am »
    Yeah, don't sugarcoat it 911Jason

Tell us what you REALLY think ha ha ha

Great thread!  Have a good weekend.

Offline Bane766

• Saudi Arabia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 06:13:04 am »
    :)  I'm horrible with comma splices, and run-ons and probably lots of other grammatical errors I don't even think about.  This is why I have a professional editor who goes through my novels before I release them for the general public.  Unfortunately I can't afford to have her edit all of my forum posts, though that would be wonderful (and annoying) to have her following me around, correcting all my problems.

Dawn

Exactly.  I understand if it's crazy bad...but a few things here and there shouldn't be taken out of context and make you think their writing is like that.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I would hope a place like this would be more relaxed.  I guess I was wrong, eh?

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:14:33 am »
    I'll note that there is a spell check feature that many people forget about; after you've been posting here awhile, it disappears into the wallpaper, but it's there to the right of "Post" and "Preview" below the text box when you're posting.  :D

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:27:25 am »
    What David quoted:
    I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing.
    while pretty atrocious as far as spelling and all, is really more a problem of attitude.

Personally, I can forgive the odd spelling, grammar, or punctuation error.  But I admit to putting authors on my "Do Not Buy" list solely because of 'attitude' I detect in their posts. . .even posts that are immaculate as far as editing is concerned.  If you're trying to sell your books, you also sort of have to sell yourself, so it's important to make sure that even your informal posts show you as you wish to appear to prospective readers.

I also am WAY more likely to try your book if I come across your posts ELSEWHERE than in the Bazaar and the Cafe! ::)

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Frank Zubek

• ohio
      • View Profile
      • Frank Zubek webpage
    « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
    Elsewhere??

I shouldn't be spending the time I spend in the cafe as it is!

ha ha ha   Juuuuuuust kidding
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:57:52 am by Frank Zubek »

Offline daveconifer

• Atlantic City
      • View Profile
      • DaveConifer.com
    « Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 06:54:26 am »
     "I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing."

Is this real?

I hope it wasn't from anything I posted!

The Song Remains the Same

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:23 am »
    "I am a writer and the reason I cant edit (novel name hidden) better is bacause for me that song is over. I have written two otgher novels and am working on the third since then and I really have no buisness attempying to edit them anyway. If I can sell some copies I might edit it with the procedes... again LOL... But when Im done with what I am writing I wwill be wriring something else not editing."

Is this real?

I hope it wasn't from anything I posted!

The Song Remains the Same

As near as I can tell, it was nothing posted on this forum; at least nothing that is still here.   ::)

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline David 'Half-Orc' Dalglish

• Missouri
    • I tell stories.
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:28 am »
    It is real, but I won't say where from or by who. And no, it wasn't this forum.

David Dalglish
      |    |  |

Offline Cliff Ball

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Homepage
    « Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 07:04:45 am »
    I'm a nitpicker with my writing. I can't stand spelling something wrong, having bad grammar, or wrong punctuation, even on message boards. It bugs me too to see posts that are full of errors(and I go back and edit what I did wrong, how obsessive is that? ha ha), but, I haven't really been super annoyed with it since I went online 10 years ago. Back then, I had to stay away from message boards! ha ha
    The End Times Saga - Christian Fiction

Cliff Ball | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    « Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:36 am »
    I hope I don't offend anyone with this, and I'm not a writer, so feel free to tell me to beat it.

I have noticed that a lot of authors are very poor spellers or at least are not careful in their posts on message boards. Some have typographical errors in their subject lines, others just in the body of their posts. Is this just a case of "letting your guard down" when you're here among friends? As a reader, it sure gives me pause about buying anything from that author when they can't even make a single paragraph post without a typo or two.

Just a thought... what do you guys think though?

You're right. I can't even use the fact that I am blind in one eye as an excuse. I've been using the spell check more often for these posts. However, when it comes to the Blackberry responses, I have fat fingers and no spell check. Besides, we need as many critics as we can get. It keeps our egos in check - egos that would dominate the world and horripilate the little children in the streets of Gomorrah.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:11:27 am by Edward C. Patterson »
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 07:08:13 am »
    I definitely have typos in some of my posts.  If I catch them, I fix them, because whether I like it or not, as a writer, I am held to a higher standard.  I understand that and accept it.  There are days I'd love to be able to throw out a post without backing up and capitalizing that "I" or fixing my "ot" to "to"...but I do realize that my posts are a reflection of my writing ability.  As they should be.

I'm pretty much of the same mind as Maria.

JimC

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 08:11:01 am »
    Tpyos? Waht tpyos? I've nver had a typo in my lfe!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement