Author Topic: Self Publishing Forum podcast - Amanda Lee & Extreme Productivity  (Read 4187 times)  

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
    • View Profile
Re: Self Publishing Forum podcast - Amanda Lee & Extreme Productivity
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 04:05:55 pm »
This interview was very well done. Thanks to all who made it possible, and especially to Amanda for continuing to hang around here. :)

Amanda, if you happen to see this: you mentioned in the interview that you don't think self-publishing will always pay as well as it does now. Is that driven by an attitude of general caution and frugality, or is there a specific factor that you think would cause a shift or collapse?
  I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 04:40:13 pm »
    This interview was very well done. Thanks to all who made it possible, and especially to Amanda for continuing to hang around here. :)

Amanda, if you happen to see this: you mentioned in the interview that you don't think self-publishing will always pay as well as it does now. Is that driven by an attitude of general caution and frugality, or is there a specific factor that you think would cause a shift or collapse?
    In general, I believe that as more people come into the marketplace, individual authors will make less. The mega sellers will still be fine. The hobbyists will still be fine. It's the midlist that will be squeezed. That's just my opinion, which is why I'm an investing fool.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »
    @Amanda

Thanks for hanging out around here despite all of the bad takes going around.

Never understood why whenever a fast writer is brought up people feel the need to bring up the speed vs. quality debate. I noticed a similar slight given when the marathon distance was completed in less than 2 hours. Instead of praising the amazing human achievement, some were criticizing it. In fact, pretty much every amazing achievement seems to get ridiculued. Sad...

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 12:15:40 am »
    Oh, the fast writing doesn't translate to good books argument. Again.

Good thing that people like different types of books and authors.
    There are still a few who will tell you that if a book hasn't taken at least a year to write, it can't be any good. That is usually sour grapes because they can't do it. Personally, I've read books that have taken a couple years and have given up because they are so awful. I think you can definitely have quality in quantity; it depends on your mindset more than anything else and good for them who can do it.

I couldn't do 9000 words a day; after about 2000 I nod off. But that's a side effect of old age! :)

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 03:04:08 am »
    @Amanda

Thanks for hanging out around here despite all of the bad takes going around.

Never understood why whenever a fast writer is brought up people feel the need to bring up the speed vs. quality debate. I noticed a similar slight given when the marathon distance was completed in less than 2 hours. Instead of praising the amazing human achievement, some were criticizing it. In fact, pretty much every amazing achievement seems to get ridiculued. Sad...
    I was once invited into the judge's box at a showjumping event. It was obvious to all who had won, but the judges were reluctant to award the trophy to the young lady with the winning horse. Because, apparently, she wasn't wearing the latest brand new showjacket and she had cream jodhpurs, not white. White is only required for affiliate jumping, but they seemed to think her dress should play a part in whether she won or not.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Rachel Anne

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 04:42:28 am »
    This was an awesome interview. Thank you Amanda, for always sharing with this community.
    As for the quality of novels written faster than others... complete BS and subject to the individual reader and author.

Would I be able to write a book at the pace some do? No. But I've definitely binge-read books that were written fast and loved them. A lot of them even more than some books that take an author months or years to write. Placing a blanket statement on that is just doing a disservice to your fellow authors.

Offline nail file

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 04:59:01 am »
    What a great interview. It's very inspiring.

Amanda, if you're still around, I have a question. You said that you have a bunch (200?) covers done for books that are much further down the pipeline. So you don't worry about those covers becoming old or obsolete for trends when you're ready to start writing them?

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 06:20:58 am »
    What a great interview. It's very inspiring.

Amanda, if you're still around, I have a question. You said that you have a bunch (200?) covers done for books that are much further down the pipeline. So you don't worry about those covers becoming old or obsolete for trends when you're ready to start writing them?
    I don't write to trend, so no.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 08:14:31 am »
    If you read the thread over there it's actually an extremely good discussion on the quantity vs. quality debate. There is a diversity of opinion and no one is jumping on anyone or levying personal attacks. There is a lot of good information, opinions and experiences being shared. It's just to KBoards' detriment that we can never have that kind of civil discourse here.

The post this responds to has been deleted. I'm leaving this one in as there's nothing wrong with it, and it was in turn responded to civilly. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:58:44 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 08:34:33 am »
    If you read the thread over there it's actually an extremely good discussion on the quantity vs. quality debate. There is a diversity of opinion and no one is jumping on anyone or levying personal attacks. There is a lot of good information, opinions and experiences being shared. It's just to KBoards' detriment that we can never have that kind of civil discourse here.

The post this responds to has been deleted. I'm leaving this one in as there's nothing wrong with it, and it was in turn responded to civilly. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

Agreed. It is a mature and reasoned series of arguments on both sides and a refreshing read. I don't care much for the instant carping and nastiness I see on this board and I am starting to understand why so many major contributors have either dropped out or just don't post anymore.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:59:37 pm by Becca Mills »
    Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline Riven

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
    Amanda, thanks so much for doing that interview. I've been looking forward to it since I heard it was coming up, and it didn't disappoint. And thank you for continuing to contribute to this thread despite the ridiculousness.

I did have one question, if that's okay. I understood from the interview that you do one editing pass before handing it off to your editor and proofreaders. Do you do another read-through before the book is published?

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
    Amanda, thanks so much for doing that interview. I've been looking forward to it since I heard it was coming up, and it didn't disappoint. And thank you for continuing to contribute to this thread despite the ridiculousness.

I did have one question, if that's okay. I understood from the interview that you do one editing pass before handing it off to your editor and proofreaders. Do you do another read-through before the book is published?
    I would call it a "spot" read-through more than anything. I look at any notes but that's mostly it. Once it goes to the editors, unless they find a problem, I'm pretty much done. I do re-read the book before writing in the next in the series, though.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 11:35:24 am »

If you wanted to talk about quality vs quantity, why not start a new thread?

Why come into this particular thread about Amanda Lee doing an interview on a self-publishing podcast and mention that some authors who write fast produce work that is not up to your standards.

As a few people have said in this thread, every author is different. Every author has their own method, abilities, goals and lifestyle.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:11:12 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:18 pm »
    Thanks for sharing. This model is not for me either, chronic re-writer here. But I love a good podcast and when someone knows something I don't I'm determined to soak it up.  Will have a listen. Maybe you'll flip me.
    Wyrmwind #2: 15%

Atlas #3: 10%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 90%
    I edit books! Here's my: | kboards editor thread | website

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 04:41:07 pm »
    If you wanted to talk about quality vs quantity, why not start a new thread?

Why come into this particular thread about Amanda Lee doing an interview on a self-publishing podcast and mention that some authors who write fast produce work that is not up to your standards.

As a few people have said in this thread, every author is different. Every author has their own method, abilities, goals and lifestyle.

I was just kind of bouncing off the topic and comparing it to Amanda as in not everyone can do what she does and cited an example I recently read of someone who was trying to publish that quickly and, in my opinion, could have had a better product if he spent more time on it. I understand that Amanda misconstrued my first post as criticism of herself, but I tried to clarify that and continued to get chewed out by her and everyone else.

Several sentences removed. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:12:53 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 04:58:38 pm »
    It's very silly to suggest that any given writer can simply speed up to infinity without a drop in quality. At some point, you start to sacrifice quality. That's a different point for everyone.

Suggesting that's not the case is just as detrimental as suggesting that all fast writing is bad writing.

Of course there are writers who have chosen to step over the line to write faster and worse. There are too many writers for that not to be the case.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 27, 2019, 05:40:51 pm »
    It's very silly to suggest that any given writer can simply speed up to infinity without a drop in quality. At some point, you start to sacrifice quality. That's a different point for everyone.

Suggesting that's not the case is just as detrimental as suggesting that all fast writing is bad writing.

Of course there are writers who have chosen to step over the line to write faster and worse. There are too many writers for that not to be the case.
    Who is suggesting that? I'm pretty sure the point is that every writer knows their own limits and setting timeframes for everyone as an absolute is the problem.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:42 pm »
    Locking until we have a chance to follow up on reports.

ETA: I've done quite a bit of clean-up on this thread, which will remain closed.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:14:51 pm by Becca Mills »

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement