Author Topic: Books deleted from DOWNLOADED gone from ALL  (Read 1309 times)  

Offline Maura

• View Profile
Books deleted from DOWNLOADED gone from ALL
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:58:04 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this happening? On two books now, when I went to get them out of Downloaded and into All, there was no choice to "Remove From Device", only "Delete From Device". And when I did that, the book truly disappeared, not in the collection I had put it in, not anywhere. I went to Amazon online and could download it again, and did. After that I got the Remove From Device option, did that, and all is as it should be. But it's annoying. I only discovered it on one book by accident and then started paying attention and saw it on another book, which makes me wonder if it's happened before and I never noticed.

P.S. I've also realized that books borrowed from Kindle Unlimited don't show a Return To, but only a Delete From Device. I've rebooted my Kindle to see if it helps.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:22:23 pm by Maura »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Books deleted from DOWNLOADED gone from ALL
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:26:25 am »
    It may depend on which model Kindle you have, at least as far as KU books are concerned. I checked on mine and if you have a Paperwhite 1st gen or earlier, you will only see 'remove from device' and not 'return to Kindle Unlimited' as well.

As far as bought books are concerned, I haven't checked many, but as far as I can see, I still get the option to 'remove from device', even on older models. It could be just a few books that are different. Are they all purchased from Amazon, or have you sent books bought elsewhere to the cloud using 'send to kindle'? That could possibly affect your options, though again, it doesn't seem to be the case with the items I checked on my various devices.

Has rebooting your Kindle helped - it often does!
    Linda

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:19:04 pm »
    On my Kindle, a Paperwhite, it says "Delete from device" if it's a doc file, a book I sent to my library with Send to Kindle.  If it's a book I bought from Amazon it says "Remove from device".  I may have that backwards but I think I have it right.

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:36:01 pm »
    On my Kindle, a Paperwhite, it says "Delete from device" if it's a doc file, a book I sent to my library with Send to Kindle.  If it's a book I bought from Amazon it says "Remove from device".  I may have that backwards but I think I have it right.

Barry

It's definitely different for docs vs puchased books. But I also think it varies depending on which generation kindle you have, or maybe what firmware version. Some fairly recent updates changed some things -- like showing books as read and letting library and prime/unlimited books be returned directly from the device.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 01:01:57 pm »
    This is the latest Oasis (warm color one), and it's not doing it for all books, just some recent ones. It's got firmware version 5.12.2 on it, and I noticed it rebooting out of the blue just sitting beside me the other day, so maybe this came with a software update? It's more of a problem for me than some, I guess, because I do re-read, and if books I've bought aren't there in All, I figure I borrowed them from KU or the library and look for something else. So if I'm losing out on rereading books I've paid for.... I'll be paying closer attention for a while, and if this keeps up calling Amazon.

I've never had it "disappear" anything that's labeled as a Doc. For instance, my copy of Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar, which I just reread recently is from a non-Amazon source, Mobile Read, I think, and I can switch it back and forth from Downloaded and All and it doesn't disappear - it darn well better not!

The whole thing makes me think much as I don't want to spend the time doing it, I should get busy and start putting the books I most care about on a backed up PC via Calibre.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:02:05 pm »
    I've seen some discussion about this elsewhere, and actually had the same thing happen on my Oasis 2.  The book even had a "Read" tag on it after I finished, but only Delete from Device was available and choosing that gave me the "Are you sure?" prompt.  I did delete anyway and like you, it was not available in my All, but was still listed in my Manage Your Contents and I sent it back to the device to check that all was well.

Some time in the next day or two after that, I checked again and it reverted to Remove from Device and again, like yours, it acted as it always has.  Anyway, the consensus I have seen is to just leave it alone for 24-48 hours and it will revert to remove.

There do seem to be a few glitches in the last update.  Another I have found is new books from traditional publishers that have no time links, the bottom left of the page stays blank for all options even though I have "Time in book" set as the default and there is nothing to cycle through to change or get back to that.  Yet the same book opened on my Voyage shows all options when I tap the screen, so it's not a publisher formatting problem.  Weirdness ...

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:08:45 pm »
    I just checked on my Paperwhite 4 (or Paperwhite 10 from Amazon's perspective) with firmware 5.12.2 and sure enough it says "Remove from Device" for both Kindle books and docs.  So I guess that's changed.

Barry

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 09:43:58 pm »
    Thanks, crebel, at least I know I'm not alone. I haven't had the no time link problem yet. That's probably just around the corner. Here's hoping the next update fixes this weirdness.

Offline crisandria

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 01:50:08 pm »
    Ive seen the glitch to delete from device, instead of remove from device for a while.  So its not new to the latest software version.   It will correct itself if you restart the kindle.   Seems to happen to a lot of books for me, but not 100% of the time.

Crisandria
    crisandria

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 05:48:24 pm »
    The last two books I bought and finished had delete instead of remove from device.  I left them on the device, an Oasis first gen.  So after reading this thread I decided to reboot the Oasis but before I did I checked both books and both now had remove from device instead of delete.  One of the books I just finished two hours ago and then it was delete. Have not done a reboot or update so it is just plain weird. 
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 05:05:25 am »
    The delete rather than remove from device is happening more frequently on my Oasis 2.  Again, these are both new and old books, finished, and the "Read" tag shows up on the home page.  Leaving it alone for a couple of days no longer causes it to revert to "Remove from device", nor does syncing the Kindle.  The only thing that works for me now is a restart when it does happen.

It doesn't happen on every book. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is traditionally published or self-published, fully read or a partial read, new and read immediately or has been on my Kindle for months, but it IS happening regularly.  Maybe 1 book out of every 4, although yesterday it was the last 3 books I read.  I still say it is an annoying glitch.

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 05:55:58 am »
    I still say it is an annoying glitch.

It certainly is. If you go ahead and delete one, it's for all appearances gone for good and later you'd never know you'd purchased it. You have to go to Amazon and re-download to get it back. I think I've also had at least one case lately where a book I'd purchased wasn't flagged as already mine on its book page on Amazon. I hope they get this fixed soon.

I've never bothered keeping separate records and obviously need to start.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 06:25:48 am »
    I don't think this glitch is device specific. I don't have an Oasis - I primarily use a Voyage and a PW4, or occasionally an earlier model PW.

But I've noticed lately that when I buy a new book and send it to my main device, when I later go to one of my other devices to download it on there as well, it doesn't appear anywhere under ALL. The only way to get it is to send it from the website. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

I don't think all these devices have the same software version on them but maybe the part that is causing this is common to them all. Who knows?
    Linda

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 06:30:45 am »
    It certainly is. If you go ahead and delete one, it's for all appearances gone for good and later you'd never know you'd purchased it. You have to go to Amazon and re-download to get it back. I think I've also had at least one case lately where a book I'd purchased wasn't flagged as already mine on its book page on Amazon. I hope they get this fixed soon.

I've never bothered keeping separate records and obviously need to start.

That's the most annoying thing, IMO.  That if you choose the "delete" option just to get it off your device, it is no longer in "ALL" in the device archives, but it is still listed in Manage Your Content if you search for it and you can send it back.  I have always believed ALL on the device listed everything (at least books bought from Amazon) that is also in Manage Your Content.  It's just not making sense to me.

As far as the "You Bought" banner on the book page, I have quite a few books which no longer show that.  I can't link that to this delete/remove glitch.  It's always books that have a changed ASIN - a different publisher, new edition, etc.  That's no longer the exact book/license I purchased, so the banner doesn't show, but the book/license I bought is still in my library.  This does make sense to me.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement