Author Topic: Any info/rumors about new Kindles this year?  (Read 3273 times)  

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
    • View Profile
Any info/rumors about new Kindles this year?
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:27:40 am »
I don't keep my ear very close to the ground these days, but has anyone heard about any new Kindles being released this holiday season? I'm guessing not or there would be pages of posts about it. Mine are all still fine, was just wondering.
Juicy unsubstantiated gossip always welcome.  ;D
Carpe Manana

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Any info/rumors about new Kindles this year?
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 02:11:45 pm »
    crickets :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:44:07 am »
    You weren't kidding Ann. Sheesh!  :D
    Carpe Manana

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:59:50 am »
    There's already been a Basic & Oasis new this year, the only thing "old" is PW & it's barely a year old.

I'm happy with the fleet I've got but it'll be interesting to see what the seasonal sales have to offer.

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 07:43:25 pm »
    As far as Kindles go it looks like the Basic and Paperwhite will be on Black Friday sales at $69 and $99 respectively and the Fire HD 10 will be $99, i'm going to trade in my 7th get and get a white one, trying to decide if i want a PW or spring for the Oasis, not sure that will be on sale, i'm thinking the PW may just be fine for the $89 i have a $32 dollar kindle credit pending on top of that too

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 01:30:47 pm »
    I'd be shocked iff there was a new Kindle this year as the entire eInk kindle line has been refreshed within about the last year.
    (And the tablets haven't been "Kindle Fire" tablets in like 6+ years?)

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 06:43:13 am »
    This "All new" kindle has been showing up in my social media feed. I am not sure how it differs from the older ones. https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7/ref=sr_1_1

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 07:06:28 am »
    That new Kindle has been available since April.  This thread began in November.  No new ones have been released since this thread began.

As to how that differs from the old model, it now has a front light.  The old basic Kindle didn't have a light.

Barry

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 10:38:39 am »
    Thanks, Barry!

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:03:17 am »
    I think the only way they'll get me to upgrade is either come out with a new Oasis 4 with a screen maybe 40-45mm taller so it is shaped more like a regular book page and gives more reading between page turns, keeping all the other good features and functions of the O3 or for my O3 to die and have to be replaced with whatever is available at the time.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 10:35:06 am »
    I'd like a PW w/ the warm-tone page option & maybe even a 7" screen.
    Maybe that'll migrate down from the premium O3 at some point.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:32 pm »
    I'd be interested in a smaller Kindle, one to replace my phone for reading.  If I can't keep it in my shirt pocket what good is it!  :)

When I was young I always had my current book in my hip pocket.  I did that all through school and later whenever I wasn't at work.  I don't know if any of you are old enough to recall the uproar over the book "Peyton Place" but in, I think, the 9th grade a teacher saw me with it in my hip pocket and sent me to the principal's office.  He suspended me and said I couldn't come back to school till my parents talked to him.  The next day my Dad brought me to the principal's office and explained that both he and my mother had read that book and then given it to me to read and, in a loud voice, explained that it was none of his business.  They compromised and I got back with the promise that I wouldn't carry paperbacks in my hip pocket anymore.  I stuck to that for about a week.  I never had anymore problems because of those books.

Anyway, at this very moment I have my book in my shirt pocket.  Ain't technology cool! :)

By the way, in spite of it's unsavory reputation back in the straightlaced 1950s, "Peyton Place" is truly a great novel.  It's beautifully written and the characters breathe and probably even snore, they're so vivid.  And it contains no profanity and no explicit sex.  Although it sure does make you think about stuff in places. :)

It's also the most money making novel of the 20th century when you consider it, it's sequels, the movies, and the long running TV series it generated.  My principal was a dummy.

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 02:48:41 pm »
    I can't carry my O3 in my shirt pocket but I can in my jacket pocket when it's chilly and when it's warm I tuck it in the back of my belt like waiters do with the check folder. Never a problem yet and so much bigger and better screen for reading.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 05:54:03 pm »
    When I read with my Paperwhite I set the margins to wide to emulate a phone screen as much as I can.  I read faster that way and I think I do it with better retention.  It's not speed reading.  It's just that I don't get lost going to the beginning of the next line.  Maybe I was born with a defective carriage return. :)

Barry

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 06:12:26 pm »
    I use the original Oasis.  I carry it in the front pocket of my cargo pants.  I do volunteer drives where I wait on my clients for their medical appointment and having a library in my pocket works nicely. 
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline fos

• Under the Rainbow
      • View Profile
      • Far Out Science
    « Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 03:29:48 pm »
    I frequently carry my Voyage around in the back pocket of a pair of jeans. The leather case seems to protect it well.

My Voyage is now over five years old. I use it daily. Whenever it stops working I will probably replace it with whatever the current Oasis is at the time.

Jeff

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 06:46:47 am »
    I have an older Voyage,  newer paperwhite and Oasis 2.  My all time favorite is the Voyage.  I like the page turn "buttons" and positon of on/off plus it is small enough to slip into a vest pocket , in the vest I normally wear this time of year, in summer I can slip into back pocket easily if needed.  The Oasis is too large, and not too me as easy to handle.  Paperwhite while a great screen just lacks the convenient features of the Voyage.

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 09:15:13 pm »
    For the record, given goodereader's track record it might be a good idea to take anything rumor-y they say with one of these

EDIT in case the image dies, that's a 50 pound block of salt.

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 03:15:01 pm »
    For the record, given goodereader's track record it might be a good idea to take anything rumor-y they say with one of these

EDIT in case the image dies, that's a 50 pound block of salt.

That's funny you should say that because when I stumbled upon this thread today it made me remember an article I read back in August by goodereader that said that a new Voyage was in the works... I looked it up on google and here it is if anyone's interested: https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/the-kindle-voyage-2-has-gone-through-countless-iterations

I will admit though, I've seen alot of these rumors from that site and I don't think any of them have ever been accurate! Or come to pass, even remotely close to what was predicted... LOL!! I do like the sound of the Voyage 2 that they describe though.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 06:36:25 am »
    Interesting article but definitely needs a good proofreader.

Offline fos

• Under the Rainbow
      • View Profile
      • Far Out Science
    « Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:33 am »
    While doing e ink display research for a project, I ran across this article on Gizmoto. I am not sure I would need a color version of the Kindle reader.

https://gizmodo.com/e-inks-new-electronic-paper-could-finally-bring-color-t-1840861920

fos1

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 07:11:12 am »
    While doing e ink display research for a project, I ran across this article on Gizmoto. I am not sure I would need a color version of the Kindle reader.

https://gizmodo.com/e-inks-new-electronic-paper-could-finally-bring-color-t-1840861920

fos1

Agreed. Color Eink sounds cool for comic book reading and stuff like that but it's not at the top of my wishlist for a new Kindle as I don't read comics much. Coupled with a half-way decent web browser and they might be on to something but then it would need to handle moving images like video well, and I don't know if that is possible at this point. It'd sure be nice to have the benefits of eink though, on a tablet like kindle that could handle web browsing while also being usable in direct sunlight and have great battery life!! Plus, with a big enough screen it could also handle magazines... I'd be all over a kindle like that!! :)

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 07:52:29 am »
    Unless color-e-ink has improved outstandingly/astoundingly well in the past 2-4yrs, it would be a disappointing (& frustrating & inferior) experience for something like comics. And if it has improved that much, it'd probably be equally astoundingly expensive.

I read such things on a large-size iPad; I also read the daily newspaper print-replica on that iPad. Good color and less scrolling for a large-format item like a graphic novel or newspaper.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »
    I wouldn't care of my ereader could display color as long as I didn't have to give up anything for it.  I doubt I'd use color since I read novels.  Maybe rarely for a map in a book but even then I'm not sure I'd turn color on assuming it had to be turned on.

Black and white is perfect for me.  Color really wouldn't add anything I care about.

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 07:37:48 am »
    I want a unicorn ereader. It should have the same screen quality and even lighting as my O3. The screen should be 40mm larger diagonally. The bezel should be only as wide as the page turn buttons so the overall size will be significantly less than if 40mm was applied to the current O3. The battery should be about 50% longer lasting. The weight should be only an ounce or two more than the current O3. There should be an easel stand built-in on the back.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement