Author Topic: GoodReads Choice Awards  (Read 712 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
GoodReads Choice Awards
« on: November 05, 2019, 04:59:42 am »
2019 voting is now open:

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2019

Once again, I've hardly heard of any of the nominees, let alone read them. BUT, in this round you can do write ins, which is something, I guess.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Re: GoodReads Choice Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:57:16 am »
    I have no clue what I am looking at. Even if I look at my favorite genre, romance. Its mostly cartoon covers which to me look like chicklit, not romance. And checking out some of those books they are more chicklit or women fiction.
    And of course ward is always in the initial pack. Every single time. Not one historical romance and it looks to be all contemp, besides the Ward of course.

Then I click on debut novels and its like I am looking at a see of the same books with different colors and font style. They are all like very large font on the cover and some design behind the large lettering. They look like all books of the same type genre. weird. Who picks those books initially? Whoever does has a in with JR Ward. She is always in there.  :-X Like the token non contempo.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:29 am »
    Once again, I've hardly heard of any of the nominees, let alone read them. BUT, in this round you can do write ins, which is something, I guess.

Yeah, skimming through the categories in which I'd possibly have read something, just one that caught my eye as on my to-read list, but nothing I've read; but then my reading has gone down quite a bit over the last couple years for whatever reasons. :(

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:07:13 am by NogDog »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:09:47 am »
    I have no clue what I am looking at. Even if I look at my favorite genre, romance. Its mostly cartoon covers which to me look like chicklit, not romance. And checking out some of those books they are more chicklit or women fiction.

I had that impression, too, and I'm not even a big Romance reader. And the Mystery & Thriller category is basically all thriller/psychological suspense, which are not my preferred sub genres. No just ordinary mystery. Sigh! That said, I had read The Lost Man and liked it, so I voted for it.

In Historical Fiction, I'd read Once Upon a River and liked it well enough to vote for. Nothing else I even recognized in any category. :(
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:13:17 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 10:05:51 am »
    I'm the same - I hardly recognised more than half a dozen of the authors and I'd only read one of the books.

I went through my own list of books to try to find some to nominate, but they have to been published in the US over the year to November, 2019 and a lot of the ones I'd read were too old to be included. In any case, judging by the existing nominees, most Goodreads members seem to read entirely different books to me, so I doubt anything I might nominate would get on the list.

It's the same with my library. I don't read that many library books because 95% of the books I search for aren't there and I've never once had a book I recommended picked up. I must have a very odd taste in books!
    Linda

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:23:25 am »
    ...I must have a very odd taste in books!

Or very good taste -- which may amount to the same thing. (That's the excuse I'm using, anyway. ;) )

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:32:31 am »
    I had that impression, too, and I'm not even a big Romance reader. And the Mystery & Thriller category is basically all thriller/psychological suspense, which are not my preferred sub genres. No just ordinary mystery. Sigh! That said, I had read The Lost Man and liked it, so I voted for it.

In Historical Fiction, I'd read Once Upon a River and liked it well enough to vote for. Nothing else I even recognized in any category. :(
    Holy moly the thriller mystery cat looks just like the debut novel. Same large fonts and bold colors. Again, looks like a sea of sameness. They do look all like psycho thrillers don't they. Does nobody read regular mystery anymore? Not thriller, not cozy, just regular mystery? Hmm.

Still curious who picks the initial batch now. I have my suspicions. Considering Amazon now owns goodreads and those selections look an awful lot like the monthly first reads. In look and tone that is. Just wondering if they have their editors pick the initial books. Problem is most folks don't bother with write ins. So there usually only end up a few of those in the end phases anyway. But just like with the first reads, I don't think whoever they have picking really knows the genres much. They especially don't know romance. Nor do they seem to know anything other than psychological thrillers. I guess if you in a bubble.  :-\

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:52:21 pm »
    Or very good taste -- which may amount to the same thing. (That's the excuse I'm using, anyway. ;) )

That seems a perfectly sound rationale! ;D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 08:45:27 am »
    Still curious who picks the initial batch now. I have my suspicions. Considering Amazon now owns goodreads and those selections look an awful lot like the monthly first reads. In look and tone that is. Just wondering if they have their editors pick the initial books.  :-\

An odd selection in all categories. I've read ONE of all those books. ONE. The Night Tiger. It was widely promoted, eagerly anticipated, and rather disappointing. So perhaps the initial selection is really based on Amazon promotions.

I also must confess that I deleted my Goodreads account. There seem to be way too much of watching and tracking our every step online these days - I know it cannot be avoided but at this point it feels somewhat overwhelming  :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:08:44 am »
    I also must confess that I deleted my Goodreads account. There seem to be way too much of watching and tracking our every step online these days - I know it cannot be avoided but at this point it feels somewhat overwhelming  :)

That's true ... but it seems to me GR isn't very good at it. :)  I frequently see books recommended to me because of some other book I've rated and the two are not even a little bit related! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 03:20:27 am »
    The next round of voting is open .... still only a couple books I read, but there was at least one in this round that did NOT appear in the opening round -- which I am sure of because I read it and looked for it. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 12:15:53 pm »
    Well, at least now 2 of the romance selections are at least romance and not chick lit. And those are write ins and HR. Not the ones I would have picked as best of the year, but oh well. And a few other contempo  romance is in there at least now. Don't think I'll be voting this year. I mean the only options would be the 2 HR that are write ins and I only read one of those. And it wasn't one of my favorites. But I guess to support HR I do it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 03:24:43 am »
    Winners are up: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2019

Nothing I've read; nothing I want to read. :(
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 07:09:30 am »
    At least it looks like the romance category was won by an actual romance. I think at least. None of peeps I follow on goodreads have commented yet and I don't know the other folks. But I think if it didn't have a HEA/HFN some would  have mentioned it. Its just that when I read "delightful new spin on genre conventions" I hear, nobody needs a stinking HEA in romance anymore. Its been going around twitter lately that romance "changed" and all that. As in, couples can die or split up and they still want to call it a romance. Which makes me steam.

But this looks to me at least romance. With you know, couple not dead or being apart for the rest of their life miserable  kind of "serious" romance.

But some reviewers do call it new adult, which I run from like my hair is on fire. While the blurb itself sounds really cute to me. I like the royals kind of romances, so I might give it a shot. I don't read a lot of contemporary romances at all, so they are usually handpicked. But not if it is an actual new adult, I can't abide those juvenile characters.

I'll have to see more reviews of people I "know" on goodreads first.

The rest of the categories? Yeah pass.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 09:49:16 am »
    Winners are up: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2019

Nothing I've read; nothing I want to read. :(

Yep, that about sums it up for me, too.
    Linda

KBoards.com