Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 1356 times)  

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Nina Huffney on Blogger
Thanksgiving
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:05:45 pm »
I would love to prepare a Thanksgiving meal with:
  • Beef Roast
  • Oven-Roasted Asparagus
  • Wild Mushroom Soup
  • Chestnut & Apple Stuffing
  • Pumpkin Creme Brulee
  • Cranberry Sangria
But in reality, we don't get quite that fancy. And this year it'll just be the two of us. So, we're thinking:
  • Rotisserie Chicken (Costco)
  • Packet of Chicken Gravy Mix
  • Box of Stove-Top Stuffing (maybe toss in some Craisins)
  • Frozen Peas (heated on the stove - I'm not that lazy!)
  • A couple of Little Debbie's Pumpkin Delights
  • Carton of Darigold Eggnog

Afterward, we'll likely start getting our Yule on by watching Elf, Christmas Vacation, or A Christmas Horror Story.

What are you planning? Feasting with friends & family? Staying in with your SO? Cozying up with a carton of Cabernet?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    Re: Thanksgiving
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:29:06 pm »
    Just the two of us at home this year and I am having a hard time tempering my usual "enough food to feed a regiment".  We are still deciding between a brined and roasted turkey breast just for us (leftovers for sandwiches, yay!) and a small boneless lamb roast I have in the freezer.  With either I will make a pot of Jamaican rice and beans and probably 7-layer salad (the one with mayonnaise "frosting" and thawed frozen peas). 

A bottle of wine will be opened. Dairy eggnog is always in my refrigerator once it's in the grocery store for the season (which means we've already gone through a quart or two), along with vanilla schnapps to add when you want a little alcohol in it. :D

Our Christmas movie watching season will begin on Thanksgiving day with the classic "Miracle on 34th Street" since it starts with the Macy's Thanksgiving parade!  There will also be football watching and Xmas decorations starting to go up.  It's still weird doing those things without other family here, but it will be a much less hectic day.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 06:12:27 pm »
    It'll just be the two of us again. But, there is an event at the arena the day after Thanksgiving this year so that means II will be working both Thursday and Friday nights. He is also scheduled to work Wednesday night. I know I will not fix a traditional meal, but haven't decoded what I will do. I'm pretty sure there will be homemade rolls and a fruit salad recipe from his side of the family no matter what else gets cooked.

I'm pretty much used to the less hectic days, but this one will be slightly different since II will be sleeping during the day. And, I might start putting out some of the Christmas decorations that are stored in the house.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »
    I didn't grow up with a Thanksgiving and actually only been to one "real" american years ago where I was invited. So I had to pick basic american favorites. I actually really like the stove top and never tried any other stuffing. I like the herb one. I also make the green bean casserole from the back of the french's onion box. I make sweet potatoes with lots of butter, nutmeg and a wee bit of splenda over it. Mostly the stuffing is where I have to sacrifice the low carb.  :P

Turkey I can't make a fresh one. No clue how to operate a frozen one that one has to defrost. So every year I have to hunt down the oven ready frozen one from Jennie O. Its cleaned, flavored in a baking bag. So it doesn't have to be defrosted. Great turkey in like 4 hours with no fuss. They also make a breast only and I am thinking maybe getting that. Although I do like having the leftovers and eating turkey in July.  ;D

Oh, and I buy a can of Ocean spray whole cranberries and plop some on m plate. And some of those rolls that come in a 12 back on card board. Can't recall the brand now.

It will be my first Thanksgiving in my house. Last year we didn't move until mid December. There will be wine, lots of nice old wine. And then lots of groaning because we always eat way to much. Then I have side dishes leftovers for days.

I try to keep it pretty simple and this routine has worked for years.

I still am not seeing the turkey in the stores though and every year I get worried I won't find it. There will literally not be a turkey meal without that one. I just don't know what to do with any other turkey and I don't want to bother. I want easy.  :P

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 07:49:48 am »
    Just me and the dog.  I have NO family.  (That's what happens when you're an only child, didn't marry, and have no kids.)  I try to at least have turkey in some form.  Turkey meatballs (bought frozen) doesn't do it.  Prepared turkey meatloaf with cranberry sauce from the grocery store is good.  That will probably be it.  I used to get Butterball frozen turkey loaf (choice of white or white & dark meat) and cook it in the crock pot.  Last few years haven't been able to find them.

It probably happens -- only child who didn't marry and had no children of parents who were only children.  :(  I do have far-flung cousins.  My parents came from families of 4 and 6 siblings.

A year after my mother died (20 years ago) I had a holiday dinner with a friend and her boyfriend.  That did NOT turn out well.  It wasn't the food . . . .  Just me and the dog. :)
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:23:44 am by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 01:49:31 pm »
    Sandpiper, there are times when I feel I am my own best company so 'Yay!' for the individual holiday! And with your animal companion, it's that much better.

Then again, perhaps twenty years is long enough to give 'Friendsgiving' another try?

Atunah, my partner is a big fan of green bean casserole and it looks like we'll be doing that instead of the frozen peas. I once convinced him to let me use fresh green beans, but he wasn't impressed. So, it's canned forevermore.

loonlover, there's much to be said for a couple's holiday. Most often we've spent them with family, but I really enjoy our 'just us' celebrations. For one thing, there's no one nitpicking over the mashed potatoes or how the pie isn't homemade! For another, we can wear pajamas all day long!

crebel, my mouth is watering over 'Jamaican rice and beans', '7-layer salad', and 'vanilla schnapps'.

If we had a lamb roast in our freezer, we'd definitely choose that for the holiday - possibly in a korma sauce with dried cranberries.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »
    Its just me and husband here too. His family is pretty much non existent nowadays and the ones left in mine are like 6000 miles away. I been away to long to even recognize nephews anymore.
    I never had kids either.

So if god forbid something happened to my husband, I'll be moving in with crebel so I can have some vanilla schnapps and jamaican beans.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 02:24:40 pm »
    Sandpiper, there are times when I feel I am my own best company so 'Yay!' for the individual holiday! And with your animal companion, it's that much better.

Then again, perhaps twenty years is long enough to give 'Friendsgiving' another try?

Atunah, my partner is a big fan of green bean casserole and it looks like we'll be doing that instead of the frozen peas. I once convinced him to let me use fresh green beans, but he wasn't impressed. So, it's canned forevermore.

loonlover, there's much to be said for a couple's holiday. Most often we've spent them with family, but I really enjoy our 'just us' celebrations. For one thing, there's no one nitpicking over the mashed potatoes or how the pie isn't homemade! For another, we can wear pajamas all day long!

crebel, my mouth is watering over 'Jamaican rice and beans', '7-layer salad', and 'vanilla schnapps'.

If we had a lamb roast in our freezer, we'd definitely choose that for the holiday - possibly in a korma sauce with dried cranberries.

For the win!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 08:30:06 pm »
    This will be the last family Thanksgiving in my mom's house. (It goes on the market in January.) We haven't yet discussed the menu and I am not yet sure who will be able to make it from far away.  I am guessing we will be making our traditional roast turkey, mom's brown rice dressing, Stove Top bread dressing, fresh and canned cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, potato rolls, Mexican cornbread, peas, pumpkin pie, and gluten free butterscotch brownies. Maybe apple pie also. I have to consult with my sisters as to what I can make and bring as DH and I will be at my daughter's house the night before so I can run in the Turkey Trot 5K race first thing Thanksgiving morning before we drive down to Tucson. I am definitely bringing the brownies but will need to see what else we can bring and how much I can help in advance before we drive up to my daughter's house. Traditionally I get the job of cleaning the turkey the night before Thanksgiving. I will need to check if the morning before Thanksgiving is too early.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 10:04:37 pm »
    My aunt is no longer of sound mind, and has to have someone stay with her all the time. Ill go stay with her Thursday and Friday so her caretaker can be with her family.  We will go eat thanksgiving lunch at the retirement home where my mother lives. Mom will be there too of course!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 08:29:21 am »
    Just like Atunah and some others, no kids and the family 6000 miles away, so only two of us. We love to cook, and for Thanksgiving we usually make a turkey breast roll (inspired by Giada De Laurentiis) and a homemade cranberry sauce with red wine and orange peel. This year we are trying to lose a bit of weight, so probably just some almond cookies for dessert, or an apple strudel if we have enough time. And a nice bottle of sake  ;D

Although we did not grow up with Thanksgiving, it's a beautiful holiday, well-worth celebrating.
    I wish it wasn't followed by the mundane madness of the Black Friday - but hey, there might be some tempting Kindle deals!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 09:35:54 am »
    I am losing my weight now in anticipation of pigging out on Thanksgiving  ;D. I just kind of fell off my low carb wagon and just went on again 2 weeks ago. i will be back at target in 2 weeks, ready for competition eating more than I can fit.  :P

Ohhh anguabell, I miss a real good Apfelstrudel. Many moons ago my grandmother used to make the best. It was just to much work for her and we went and bought them from the bakery. Still very very good. Don't think I had one since 23 years ago? Don't think anyone makes a real one here. Its usually just apple pie, which of course is not the same at all.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:12:45 am »
    Ohhh anguabell, I miss a real good Apfelstrudel. Many moons ago my grandmother used to make the best. It was just to much work for her and we went and bought them from the bakery. Still very very good. Don't think I had one since 23 years ago? Don't think anyone makes a real one here. Its usually just apple pie, which of course is not the same at all.

I cheat and buy the frozen puff pastry. Life's short. But I have a few home-made recipes so I might try the classic version one of these days. The flour in the US is a bit different, though. A German colleague mentioned a scrumptious apple pie a few years back, and I make it once in a while - I found dr. Oetker recipe works best (weird but true) but I add more apples and use coconut oil instead of butter. https://www.oetker.de/rezepte/r/apfelkuchen-sehr-fein

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:17:38 am »
    I would be buying the pre-maid frozen, if i could find it. I never had the skills for the handmade one. Just watching my grannie slapping that batter/dough and rolling it out again and again, folding and rolling. She used the whole table for that thing. So puff pasty is what I would buy then. Ok, I can probably manage the fillings. I'll check out the Dr Oetker one. They been around a long time and we always used their products.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 09:34:07 am »
    I work at a Fish & Wildlife Refuge.  Many of our volunteers stay on site in RVs and we have a "Bunkhouse" (actually a very nice 5 bedroom manufactured home) where visiting scientists stay.  We are planning a full dinner with all the trimmings.  Should be over a dozen folks.

At home I rarely cook a large meal for myself anymore, however, I do roast a small, cheap turkey (so the house smells festive), stuff it with tuna fish and serve it to the cats (outdoor cats) in thanks for all the enjoyment they give me throughout the year !!
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 02:56:06 pm »

At home I rarely cook a large meal for myself anymore, however, I do roast a small, cheap turkey (so the house smells festive), stuff it with tuna fish and serve it to the cats (outdoor cats) in thanks for all the enjoyment they give me throughout the year !!

Probably the nicest thing I've read this entire week  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:14 pm »
    Probably the nicest thing I've read this entire week  ;D
    I know, right? At first I read that the turkey gets stuffed with tuna and I was all eh?  :-X. Then I read on and its for the precious kitties. Oh to see their faces when they get a chunk of that.  ;D

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 03:09:32 pm »
    As a big food-lover, I tend to focus on the yummy elements of the holidays. So, it's great to see when people generously give of themselves - from THC's devotion to aunt and mother... to NapCat's thoughtfulness toward felines.

Before she got huge, I remember the first time I saw Martha Stewart. It was her hourlong Holiday Entertaining with Martha Stewart on PBS from 1986. I was mesmerized. The idea of cooking for two dozen people blew my teenaged mind. An extra barn to hold your party in? TWO turkeys? THREE pies? That stuff fueled my dreams of being a domestic-goddess for years.

But for a long time, now, I've embraced the less ambitious approach. And that includes - as anguabell and Atunah have mentioned - relying on frozen puff pastry!*  8)

* Which, funnily enough, Martha did use for at least one of the dishes.
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:16:29 pm by Nina Huffney »

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 03:21:34 pm »
    Annalog, everything you mentioned sounds so delish. I'm particularly intrigued by "mom's brown rice dressing" - what's all in that?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »
    I still haven't found my turkey  :-X. None of the HEB stores carry it yet. HEB being my pretty much only grocery store here for those that don't know. I can see in their app which store carries what. I usually manage to grab it about 2 weeks before thanksgiving. Not sure why they don't stock it yet. Its making me super nervous.  :-\ :-X

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:23 am »
    I still haven't found my turkey  :-X. None of the HEB stores carry it yet. HEB being my pretty much only grocery store here for those that don't know. I can see in their app which store carries what. I usually manage to grab it about 2 weeks before thanksgiving. Not sure why they don't stock it yet. Its making me super nervous.  :-\ :-X

It's time to start lobbying for opening a Whole Foods store in your neighborhood :) Or at least Aldi! (Aldi =  German chocolate...Belgian cookies...$6 Moscato wine...)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 02:01:36 pm »
    Annalog, everything you mentioned sounds so delish. I'm particularly intrigued by "mom's brown rice dressing" - what's all in that?
    Mom's Brown Rice Dressing (gluten free with vegan option)
    2 cups short grain brown rice
    4 1/4 cups TraderJoe's Chicken Broth (or other GF chicken broth) or GF vegetable broth (without tomatoes) or half water/half broth or water

3 1/3 cups chopped onion
    3 1/3 cups chopped celery
    1 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrots
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or all olive oil)
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons Shilling Poultry Seasoning (about)
    Pepper and Vegesal (or just salt and pepper) to taste

Cook brown rice in chosen liquid (broth or water) according to the package directions. Saute vegetables in oil/butter.  Combine rice and vegetables and add seasonings.

Note: This can be made in advance and put in casserole dishes.  Reheat in oven or microwave before serving.

The above recipe is one variation of Mom's Take-your-pick Brown Rice recipes.

Another variation popular in our family is her Vegetarian Oriental Rice. For that, replace the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper with:

San-J Tamari Sauce (start with 1 1/2 tablespoons)
    (Optional 2 teaspoons gluten free Teriyaki sauce)

This one is very good with other cooked vegetables added at the end, such as broccoli and Trader Joe's Petite Peas.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 03:24:16 pm »
    It's time to start lobbying for opening a Whole Foods store in your neighborhood :) Or at least Aldi! (Aldi =  German chocolate...Belgian cookies...$6 Moscato wine...)
    There are Whole foods, although its now a long drive since I moved. No Aldi in sight. But none of them have the turkey i need in any case. I can only make the one already cleaned, seasoned and put in a baking bag.  :P. I have only seen 2 brands that have one like it, Jenni O and butterball. I want the JenniO as i always used that one. But still no sight of it in the stores.  :( If I can't find it soon, there will be no Thanksgiving dinner for me. So I am still hopeful.

And yes, I would love to have a Aldi here. We almost got a Lidl, or 3 of them. Similar type german store, but they stopped expanding to Texas. Now I moved to far away from Traders Joe to go there on regular basis. takes me like 50 minutes to get there now. Trader Joe is owned by one of the Aldi brothers. not the one having the stores in the Us though, the other one.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 05:27:01 pm »
    Wow!  Even my small town has an Aldi's, they are very popular throughout Iowa, though.

Atunah, if you can bring yourself to go to a WalMart Supercenter with a grocery store, they usually carry Jenni-O (at least ours does).  I wish we had a Trader Joe's here, but I have to drive 90 miles to the big city to get to one.  I would shop there regularly if it were closer.  I take along a cooler and do a fair amount of damage at TJ's whenever I get the chance.  Last time I was there I got a full pound of already cooked langostino tails (meat only, no shells) for only $16.  It's in my freezer to make lobster mac-and-cheese for Christmas!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 05:40:28 pm »
    Yeah, there are Aldi in other parts of Texas now. But for some reason, nobody wants to go head to head with HEB here. Folks here are really weirdly attached and loyal to that grocery chain. I just want some options.

The Walmarts here do not have the Jenni O oven ready whole turkey. Some have a butterball brand of same in bag roasting type. I still hope I can get one. Gonna be sad if I don't. The whole thing has become kind of like our tradition.

I am really sad I had to move so far away from where we used to live. I used to go to TJ like at least every 2 weeks, sometimes weekly. But its on the north side and I moved out west so its longer drive now. So I go every couple of months or so. Takes the joy out of it a bit to be honest as its more stressful now.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement