Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 1344 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:49 pm »
I have the turkey. I repeat, turkey is in my possession  ;D

I almost didn't see it. It is still not showing in the app. I went to my nearby HEB for other stuff and almost walked by. The slot is small and holds at most 4 bags, but there was only ONE left. ONE precious turkey  :o

As I am taking a sharp left, some dude is walking along the case and he might have possibly looked at it, or wanted to.  I grabbed it with a smile on my face, while inside my head I was saying "touch that turkey and I will end you"  :P

So anyway. Thanksgiving is a go. I bought all the other parts like green beans, CoM soup, stuffing etc. Only things missing are the sweet potatoes and some sort of pie. I will get those a day or so before the event.

Now I sit here while sipping some pumpkin chai with my turkey in the freezer and all is well in the world for just a moment.  8)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 02:03:48 pm »
    Thanksgiving is easy: I got myself invited to a friend's son's house. (I may make some cranberry sauce and/or pick up some wine, but either is pretty easy.)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 06:32:59 pm »

WooHoo!!! Happy dance!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 10:43:40 am »

That's great!  Now you can relax again.

We are going to my MIL's house for Thanksgiving.  She does turkey thighs instead of a whole turkey (she's also not a fan of white meat).  Then the rest of us work on sides.  I usually contribute mashed potatoes and some sort of dessert.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 01:16:21 pm »

I almost didn't see it. It is still not showing in the app. I went to my nearby HEB for other stuff and almost walked by. The slot is small and holds at most 4 bags, but there was only ONE left. ONE precious turkey  :o

Congratulations on the great victory! All I've managed to get so far are cranberries. I am buried under several idiotic challenging work projects, so need to plan my hunting trips carefully. All that domestic goddess business is quite time-consuming  :D

ETA to add that I also got 2 bottles of French wine - that counts as a Thanksgiving preparation, right?

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 07:46:58 am »
    DH has now decided our final just-the-2-of-us-non-traditional Thanksgiving meal. 

BBQ ribs (cooked in the InstantPot, sauced in the oven)
    Scalloped Pineapple (this would be our one family tradition side dish - kind of a pineapple bread pudding)
    Baked Potatoes
    Blue cheese salad wedges

Oh, but I'm still supposed to buy turkey gravy, make mashed potatoes, and have at least deli turkey slices for "leftovers" hot turkey sandwiches.  ::) ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 11:37:40 am »
    I want to do ribs again in the IP. I think I did it once. And I am really intrigued by scalloped pineapple. I love pineapple. Pretty much when I do eat pizza, it will be with pineapples. I have gone into arguing with a pizza place cook before because I also wanted pineapple in my calzone. I heard screaming from the kitchen "There is no d### pineapple in calzone.  ;D
    Anywho, I just love it. I never had bread pudding I don't think, so it sounds really good. Might want that recipe for another day. 8)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 03:11:06 pm »
    I'm happy to provide the recipe, but one serving of the ingredients would blow your carb count for a year!  It's pineapple (in heavy syrup) mixed with potato bread and a topping of whipped together copious amounts of butter, sugar, and eggs, then baked.  Delicious though! Yummy hot, room temperature, or cold.  It's one of those evil dishes that are not worth trying to substitute with "lesser" ingredients.  If you're going to indulge once or twice a year, you just go for it - know what I mean?

Let me know if anyone really wants the recipe and I'll post it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 03:19:23 pm »
    I do want the recipe. I allow myself some cheat days. It doesn't affect in the long run. I mean a day here and there is not going to change everything. Its only if I were to eat stuff like that and bread and pasta and all that on a daily basis.

So yes please, recipe.  :-*
    And your bbq ribs. You might have posted that before somewhere. I can use sugar free BBQ sauce which i can't tell the difference between it and the sugar one. I assume its baby back ribs? Pork? Or beef.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:24:35 pm by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 05:31:23 pm »
    Scalloped Pineapple (for a 9 x 13 casserole, can halve for an 8 x 8 dish)

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray your casserole dish.

Mix together in dish:

2 cans chunk pineapple in heavy syrup (including syrup)
    10 slices of cubed bread (can use any white bread, but I always use Pepperidge Farms Farmhouse potato bread because it's yellow in color which looks nice, big slices, and really rich)

Beat together until fluffy:

3C sugar
    2 sticks softened butter
    4 large eggs

Pour over pineapple/bread mixture and bake 1 hour

I thought I had posted the IP ribs (yes, babyback), but I don't find it in any of the old IP threads to link, so here it is.  We will never fix pork ribs any other way now, the meat literally slides off the bones.

1.  Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs (this is DH's job), rinse and pat dry. (approximately 2 lbs)

2.  Season liberally with your preferred dry rub.

3.  Add this liquid to the IP:

2C chicken stock
        1/2C cider vinegar

4.  Place trivet in your IP and stand ribs in a circle on top.

5.  Set manually to 25 minutes at high pressure, quick release when done.

6.  If you like sauced ribs, place them meat side up on a foil-lined baking sheet, brush with your favorite sauce and broil 4-6 to caramelize the sauce.

Here's the dry rub that came with the original recipe.  We have used various prepared dry rubs besides this and have been happy with the outcome each time.

1T brown sugar
    2t kosher salt
    2t onion powder
    2t chili powder
    2t ground mustard
    1-1/2t smoked paprika
    1t dried thyme
    1t dried oregano
    1t pepper
    3/4t ground cumin
    1/2t cayenne 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 08:10:03 am »
    Oh yum. Thank you. Gonna notepad that thing right now and send it to my kindle.  ;D

3 Cups of sugar. Thats like months worth of my usual carbs but oh my it sounds delish. Course I wouldn't eat the whole dish in one meal anyway. Right?  :P

Yeah, I thought you had that rib recipe somewhere and I could not find it either with search. So thanks for that one. I found a video on how to remove that membrane thing. One time I made them before I didn't know about that. So now I do. I'll make that next week i think. Once turkey meat comes out of our ears.  8)

Thanks hon  :-*

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:30 am »
    The pineapple is really good as a side dish to almost any kind of pork even though it sounds like a dessert.  When I make it we often have leftovers for dessert as well.  DH has been know to reheat a serving along with vanilla ice cream, just in case you need to up the carb count a little more ...

On taking the membrane off the ribs, DH says a fish fillet knife works best, but I'm still making him do it.  After it has cooled, I skim any fat off the stock created from liquid base and cooked ribs and save it in a ziploc bag and freeze it for repeat use or as stock for some sort of soup. In fact that is what I used for most of the liquid when I cooked split pea and ham soup in the IP yesterday. Delicious.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 05:19:35 pm »
    I hope everyone had a great day so far and a great meal. I feel fat and tired.  ;D. We had 2 bottles of wine I turned into Glhwein. I used an older smaller crock pot for it so not too much alcohol cooks off. Using the teagschwendner mulled wine spice mix this year. So very good. I have a whole chocolate pecan pie in the fridge, but I am not sure if we will tough it today. Hubby is already out cold and I am still full.

I also found a kitty in the yard which I think belongs to some neighbors. I like kitties here as they take care of the rats and mice since we live on 2 greenbelts. So to make him feel home we petted him, gave him some turkey and I build him a house out of cardboard and an old blanket. He sat on the ground in the middle of my cacti. Poor baby. He is a grumpy looking read stripey cat. He went right into his house and took a nap. Maybe his human went somewhere. I have seen him before roaming.

That was my Thanksgiving day. Glhwein and a roaming cat.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 06:05:08 pm »
    We had a wonderful day and enjoyed our non-traditional menu immensely!  We both stayed in our jammies all day, cooked and ate together, watched the parade, Miracle on 34th street, the dog show, and The Lemon Drop Kid - also football ...

I am also still full, but we are enjoying "Irish" coffee made with salted caramel Kahlua and whipped cream while watching Hallmark Christmas movies.

We have concluded a day at home without going to or having in a large group of people in was a perfect Thanksgiving for us this year. 
    « Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:06:39 pm by crebel »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 07:16:05 pm »
    A nice quiet day with what I considered a good meal without being extravagant and not a lot of leftovers to put away. While my rolls didn't turn out as they have most years in the past, we still enjoyed them. I exchanged emails with our friends in Georgia while II slept. Both of our sons called after he awoke so he got to talk to them also. We do enjoy the holiday even when it is just the two of us.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #40 on: November 29, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »
    Annalog, thank you for sharing your recipe. It looks like there is room for variation. I especially like the 'vegetarian oriental' suggestions. A good excuse to pick up some tamari sauce.

Atunah, if that guy had made a move on the last of the special turkeys, I don't doubt you'd have been the victor. I can picture a satisfied 'mission accomplished' smile as you sipped your pumpkin chai.

I would love to try gluhwein sometime. A couple of past holidays we simply feasted on platters of German meats, cheese, and pretzels from a Bavarian deli, and I've always been intrigued by those bottles with the pretty labels.

You lucky NogDog, you. You get my virtual 'THANKSGIVING WINNER' badge.

Crebel, although I haven't had bread pudding, your 'Scalloped Pineapple' sounds wonderful. And it appears you had a delightfully cozy holiday.

Loonlover, I was all for limited portioning with no leftovers, but Partner was all for filling our fridge with food containers. Guess who got their way.  ::)

No French wine, anguabell, at our place. Just some Martinelli's apple-cranberry sparkler - pleasantly fizzy but sadly non-buzzy.

Our plans changed since Partner's employer gifted us with a basket of convenient meal-fixings. Which was very kind of them and - since we hadn't done a traditional Thanksgiving meal in many years - it was quite a treat.

Like Andra's MIL, Partner is all about the dark meat which I've only learned to appreciate thanks to him.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: November 29, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »
    NinaThat gluehwein in bottles is not very good. Its really easy to make. I'll put up some recipes for homemade one tomorrow.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 11:40:56 am »
    Thanks, Atunah. Getting to an actual German Christmas Market is on my bucket list. Since Partner has German heritage, we've done most of the usual items - and even made lebkuchen from scratch - but I've yet to try the mulled wine.

Is it time for a new Christmas/Winter/Yule thread?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: November 30, 2019, 01:05:02 pm »
    Thanks, Atunah. Getting to an actual German Christmas Market is on my bucket list. Since Partner has German heritage, we've done most of the usual items - and even made lebkuchen from scratch - but I've yet to try the mulled wine.

Is it time for a new Christmas/Winter/Yule thread?

I am impressed you made Lebkuchen from scratch  :-X. I never had to back then of course since every bakery there has their own version of it. Here I can buy them from World Market. But I am low carb now so no more Lebkuchen for me. I drink the christmas tea from Teagschwendner which tastes and smells just like a nice Nrnberger Lebkuchen. I grew up about an hour and a half from Nrnberg.

So an easy and really good mulled wine blend I bought from Teagschwendner. They are a german tea company which has one store in the US thankfully where they ship from.
    https://shop.tgtea.com/Mulled-Wine-Spice-Blend-org.-001272/242/
    This blend has fennel in it which is a new thing to me, but its really good actually. I add orange or lemon slices in it. Don't get it past about 165 degrees F or the alcohol will just cook off.

Here is one I made from scratch before:
    1 bottle of red wine
    2 cinnamon sticks
    2 bay leaves
    4 cloves
    2 cardamon pods
    Slices of orange or lemon
    Sugar to taste. Start with 2 ts and work you way up. Some like it really sweet, others not. You can always add more. I use swerve now a non sugar sweetener. this one is really close to what I remember from the Nrnberger Christkindlesmarkt (Christmas market in Nuremberg, Germany)

I let those simmer for at least 20 minutes. Sauce pan or an older style crock pot. The newer ones get too hot. I have an old 2.5 quart I use and it gets to about 155-160.

Another one I haven't tried yet is
    1/2 medium orange
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 cup turbinado or granulated sugar
    20 whole cloves
    2 cinnamon sticks
    2 whole star anise
    1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry red wine

Although it seems way too many cloves I think. I would half the cloves to see first. I have also bought 2 teabag style spice mixes from german companies on amazon. Messmer is one and Teekanne is the other. They are also quite good, but they are teabags so more dusty. But those can be made per cup as needed. They are a wee bit expensive of course as they are imported.

eta: I am going to start a christmas type thread as I just survived the horror of putting lights on a christmas tree. Follow the Tannenbaum.  ;D
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:10:48 pm by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement