Author Topic: My last Kindle? #TeamVoyage  (Read 723 times)  

Offline astroboy

• View Profile
My last Kindle? #TeamVoyage
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
Let me start off by saying that the Kindle has been my favorite piece of tech since I first saw and purchased a Kindle 2. I've purchased and been happy with nearly every iteration since and wherever I go, my Kindle is close at hand. When the Voyage came out I wondered if we'd reached Peak Kindle; it was, and still is, close to perfect for me. Pocketable and with a glorious screen; white as paper with sharp contrast in the text.  A clear improvement over the original Paperwhite.

Then the first Oasis was released and I had to sit out the release party as it was above my pay grade. I've since bought one used and love the little device; a screen as white and sharp as the Voyage but the battery in the case thing had me constantly worrying about how much charge remained at any given time, as I preferred to use it caseless. The last thing you should have to worry about with a Kindle, so I went back to my aging Voyage.

I've tried out the subsequent Oases and Paperwhites and have found them to be close to unreadable. Ghastly yellow tinted screens, soft contrast, fuzzy fonts, plastic screens (?). I struggle to read on them as they cause my reading speed to slow considerably. Just too fuzzy. I couldn't have a long reading session using one as my eyes got exhausted. Headache inducing. The press that repeats that "a warm screen is easier to read at night and is better for the eyes" is the opposite of my experience. Sounds like marketing. I prefer that cool bluish light at all times. Just me?

The Oasis 2 was the last I could read on somewhat comfortably. But each new device is getting yellower with the Oasis 3 being the nadir. Even with that orange screen slider at minimum, pages looked like a book that had been left open under the summer sun for a month. Is this really what the majority now prefer? A white screen with sharp contrast used to be the holy grail on Kindle forums, now few seem to want that anymore.

I took a chance on the latest Paperwhite as some posters reported getting screens as white as a Voyage. It was not to be. I returned three Paperyellows before giving up.

My second Voyage is now showing its age with diminishing battery life. I'm trying to find another Voyage for the future, as it's getting clearer that Amazon is no longer interested in keeping me, or those like me, as a customer.

I find it interesting that on Amazon's Kindle product pages, every Kindle photo, apart from those demonstrating the color temp slider, display bright white screens. If they believe most now want yellow screens, wouldn't their advertising show the true tint of the actual product? What goes on here?

Please, Amazon, for me, bring back the Voyage. Or something even better.

On another subject, has anyone noticed Amazon's Kindle customer service becoming as mediocre as their hardware? Used to be that reps were clearly Kindle users who kept up with complaints on forums. Now it's robotic reading from scripts with rote restart procedures and no hint that they're aware of the idiosyncrasies between the different devices through the years. It used to be a pleasure dealing with them. Now I dread it. Unfortunately it's no longer possible for me to be thrilled with a Kindle right out of the box, cuz I know what's coming.

- Disgruntled Old School Kindle Owner

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    Re: My last Kindle? #TeamVoyage
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:12:41 pm »
    My O3 looks pretty brite-white if I set the warmth all the way down & the brightness at/near the top, also plenty sharp/contrasty enough.

(I prefer the warmer tone, easier on the eyes & the reason I got the device)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:21:38 pm »
    My Voyage and my Oasis3 are almost the same as far as sharpness and contrast goes. If I turn the warm light down all the way, only the backround is a wee bit different. The Voyage being cooler I guess. I tried really hard to take a good pic, but I am really really bad at it. So both aren't showing really as sharp as they are in real life. I can only take blurry pics apparently.  :P. Anywho, I think its shows ok.

So I turned off the warm and regular light is at 12 on Oasis and 11 on Voyage. Voyage on left. The Oasis seems to have a reddish cast, but its not in real life. I think my camera pulls red for some reason when I photograph white things. really both are nice screens to me. But I use the Oasis and I need real buttons and the Voyage slips out of my hands. I'd like a 6 inch oasis that is like the big one, not battery in cover.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:32:06 pm »
    Woot.com has Voyages on sale refurbished now for $117.  These are the international 3G versions, which means the 3G won't work in the USA but the Wifi will work.

Woot is owned by Amazon so they should be pretty safe to buy from.

I have a Voyage and the Paperwhite 4 and I personally can't see where one is better than the other.  When I put them side by side they're different but neither is whiter than the other.  When I'm reading on the both are fine.

Barry

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:12:23 pm »
    I compared my Oasis-1 & PW-3 to my O-3 -- the O-3 is brighter & whiter than the others.
    Any of them is quite readable, but I do like the "warm tone" of the O-3 so mostly use that when I'm at home.
    I also read on an iPad, using the "sepia" background.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 09:05:25 pm »
    Sad to say, I mostly read on iPads or iPhone now. I bought one of the last Kindle updates by reflex, but seldom use it. So I may be on my last a kindle, though for different reasons!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:39:00 am »
    My everyday kindle is the current PW which I consider nearly as perfect as the Voyage -- much prefer the power button placement on the voyage. I also use the Voyage still -- taking some classes this fall and put the books for them on it so I wouldn't need to go searching on the main device. And I have an Oasis that I use to read in bed -- nice because, with the buttons, I can keep my hands snuggled in the covers as well as the rest of me and my fingers don't get cold. :) As to the screens -- unless I hold 'em up side by side, I don't notice any difference in the reading experience. :)

Will I buy another kindle? Maybe. Depends what's on offer. I almost never read on my phone or tablet -- though there are a handful of things that work much better on the larger, color screen of the tablet. Mainly, it's hard for me to imagine what they'd add that I'd really really want to have. I will say this: it would be hard for me, at this point, to go back to paper books. I've had several things I've had to read lately that are only on paper and I definitely much prefer the kindle.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:09:30 am »
    I also have a paper book of a novel I read probably 40 years ago.  I remember very little about it except that I really liked it at the time.  But every time I'm between books and I pick it up I start thinking how dull the screen is.  I've never gotten past the first page in the year that I've had it.  I keep hoping it'll come to the Kindle.

The other day I read an article about Booth Tarkington and how he's now been all but forgotten.  That happens even to excellent writers and I don't know why.  Booth Tarkington is one of the three writers to have one 2 Pulitzers for fiction.  The other two are William Faulkner and John Updike and no-one has forgotten them.  In the early 20th century Time magazine had Tarkington on it's list of the dozen greatest Americans.  He was one of the most respected writers in the world at that time.  And now hardly anyone remembers who he is.

It wasn't long ago that you couldn't find John O'Hara in ebooks.  At least not legal ones.  As of a couple of years ago that's finally changed.  Still to go are writers like Lloyd C Douglas, Frank G. Slaughter and Frank Yerby.  Douglas was an excellent writer and you can find a couple of his best known books.  He wrote a lot of really fine novels that just can't be found except in old paper books.  The same is true of Slaughter, another really good writer.  And Frank Yerby, who wasn't as good, was still a decent writer and one of the best selling writers of the first half of the 20th century.  He wrote excellent historical novels, many with biblical themes.  Additionally he pretty much invented the romance genre, although it wasn't recognized as a genre in those days.

A very interesting thing about Yerby was that his career ended after about 30 years of being at the top of the best seller lists nearly all the time.  Someone revealed that he was a black man and most people stopped buying his books.  What silly people we used to be.  Of course if you google him now there's no mention of that but I remember how his books came off the shelves.  I guess we're still pretty silly. :)

Barry

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:16:31 am »
    I have to say I agree with the OP - not so much regarding the whiteness of the background because I think that largely depends on how bright you have the light - but particularly with the newer screen material causing fuzzy contrast.

Going back over the years I think the first Kindle Touch, the iteration immediately after the Kindle Keyboard, had by far the sharpest contrast. Even though it didn't have the current ability to change the weight of the fonts, or a backlight, the fonts fairly pop off the screen. Of the newer models the Voyage, in my experience, is the closest to it, especially now that you can make the fonts bolder - I have it on the maximum boldness. The fonts on my PW4 on the otherhand are noticeably lighter and more fuzzy, even on the same settings.

Taking everything in to account, for me, the Voyage is head and shoulders the best model to date and I'm frankly still shocked that it's the one model Amazon chose to ditch.

I agree with Ann too, that going back to reading paper books is not a serious option. I'm currently reading my first paper book since I had my first Kindle over ten years ago and it's not a pleasant experience, despite the book being good.
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 11:11:28 am »
    Yeah, I have a box of precious that I can't read because they are paperback and old and yellow. Still to this day they are not in any ebook format and probably never will be.  :(

Offline astroboy

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 08:55:15 am »
    The picture of that Oasis 3 screen above looks pretty good. Much better than those I tried. But I'm gonna finally try a replacement Voyage battery and try to save up for a spare Voyage. Just a shame that it's come to that.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 09:17:39 am »
    I think there's another consideration involving the screens of the various devices; that they differ from unit to unit.  I have a Voyage and I have 3 of the new Paperwhites and 2 of the previous generation of Paperwhites.  When I put them side by side they're all different, different from other models and from other devices the same model.

Barry

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 11:04:10 am »
    The picture of that Oasis 3 screen above looks pretty good. Much better than those I tried. But I'm gonna finally try a replacement Voyage battery and try to save up for a spare Voyage. Just a shame that it's come to that.
    I totally get liking a kindle and not wanting to be without. I am like that with buttons. Each time a new one comes out I am afraid they won't have one with buttons anymore. I'd be heartbroken. I still have my Voyage I bought when it first came out, because it was the only one with buttons at the time. Its still working fine, so at least if you get backup, you'll know it will last for some time. I still have my K1 since 2008. I did put a new battery in that one, but of course it actually had a easy to replace battery. But do keep your eyes on woot.com. They always have voyages refurbs on sale.

I think there's another consideration involving the screens of the various devices; that they differ from unit to unit.  I have a Voyage and I have 3 of the new Paperwhites and 2 of the previous generation of Paperwhites.  When I put them side by side they're all different, different from other models and from other devices the same model.

Barry

yeah, just be. I don't notice much of anything different between the Voyage and the O3. But the O1 does not have as nice as a screen as the Voyage for sure. Mine doesn't. I don't notice it though unless i put them side by side. Its not as sharp as the Voyage or my O3.

Best contrast out of all kindles is my button basic. But of course it has no light, but in bright light, outside, it is incredibly easy on the eyes.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:06:21 am by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement