Author Topic: Joining amazon streaming only???  (Read 650 times)  

Offline MrKnucklehead

• View Profile
Joining amazon streaming only???
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:25:14 am »
I have Amazon Prime but want to downgrade to streaming only...

How do I go about this???

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    Re: Joining amazon streaming only???
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:28:24 am »
    I don't think you can.  I've never heard of it.  Amazon says streaming / video is a free extra as part of Prime.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:02:02 am »
    Yeah, I think that's right. Used to be you paid for prime to get free shipping and then they added a bunch of extras. Now, you basically pay for prime for the free streaming .... and the package delivery is extra. It's all in how you look at it, I guess. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:08:49 am »
    I have Amazon Prime but want to downgrade to streaming only...

How do I go about this???

I think you can cancel your Prime subscription and then separately sign up for the music subscription. If you want to subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited without having Prime, it's $10 a month. There is now a free music service with ads available, but I don't use that myself, so I don't know how much music is available or how frequent the ads are. As far as I know, if you don't have Prime, you can't listen to any ad free music.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15730321011. (I found this, but did not read it fully, but it looks helpful.)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:31 am »
    I think you can cancel your Prime subscription and then separately sign up for the music subscription. If you want to subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited without having Prime, it's $10 a month. There is now a free music service with ads available, but I don't use that myself, so I don't know how much music is available or how frequent the ads are. As far as I know, if you don't have Prime, you can't listen to any ad free music.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15730321011. (I found this, but did not read it fully, but it looks helpful.)

So ... music streaming is $10 a month, which would be $120 for a year.

Prime is $119 per year.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline gdae23

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 12:22:03 pm »
    So ... music streaming is $10 a month, which would be $120 for a year.

Prime is $119 per year.

Exactly - if someone just wants access to the free tier of Prime music, they might as well just get Prime. If you want full access to Amazon Music Unlimited, though, that's additional money even if you have Prime. It's another $8 a month, or $79 a year if paid annually.

I have Prime and also use AMZ music unlimited with the annual fee. I didnt find that much music I like with just the regular free offering, but with AMZ music unlimited, I'm finding about 90% of what I look for. I think there are now something like 50 million tracks available on AMZ music unlimited. I'm happy with this arrangement for myself. I find the Prime membership pays for itself, especially since I also use the Prime Visa card. That requires Prime membership to get, and offers 5% back (via points which you can cash in) on most AMZ purchases and at Whole Foods. (Sorry If I sound like an advertisement there!)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:09 am »
    I have Prime and also use AMZ music unlimited with the annual fee. I didnt find that much music I like with just the regular free offering, but with AMZ music unlimited, I'm finding about 90% of what I look for. I think there are now something like 50 million tracks available on AMZ music unlimited. I'm happy with this arrangement for myself. I find the Prime membership pays for itself, especially since I also use the Prime Visa card. That requires Prime membership to get, and offers 5% back (via points which you can cash in) on most AMZ purchases and at Whole Foods. (Sorry If I sound like an advertisement there!)

I had Amazon Music Unlimited for a while.  Liked it.  Made myself a playlist of favorite songs.  Then one day I looked at my playlist in AMU app.  Not good.  A good number of the songs were grayed out -- not available.  Playlist was not what it was.  I cancelled AMU and went back to Spotify.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:28:28 am »
    Next time I go to the Amazon 4-Star store I'll ask about video streaming only.  I talked to one person there who seemed pretty knowledgable about all (?) things Amazon.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement