Author Topic: An intriguing little mystery about Amazon ranks  (Read 332 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
An intriguing little mystery about Amazon ranks
« on: November 13, 2019, 02:08:01 pm »
I've noticed of late a few books that have the little orange bestseller tag on them, for example #1 in Romantic Thrillers at the top of the product page and when I click on the "in Romantic Thrillers" link at the top I am redirected to a bestseller rank "New Releases in Romantic Thrillers" and the books is right there at No #1 as advertised.

However, back on the product page, halfway down the page in the Product Details section, the same book is listed as #12 in Romantic Thrillers (Kindle Store) and when I click on that link I am redirected to a new rank, "Best Sellers in Romantic Thrillers", where the book is now #12.

So which is it? Is it the #1 in Romantic Thrillers, or is it #12 in Romantic Thrillers?  If the answer is "it's #1 in New Releases of Romantic Thrillers" then why is it only #12 in Romantic Thrillers, and what is the point in having a separate rank for new releases?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Fortunate

• View Profile
    Re: An intriguing little mystery about Amazon ranks
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:17:36 am »
    The New Release chart and the overall chart are different. The new releases chart only features books released in the last 30 days.

What's the point? Well, Amazon presumably think that some of their customers want to know which books are new and popular -- books which are currently rising up the charts so to speak.

The answer to any question regarding Amazon's actions is always "to make more money" :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement