Author Topic: old post  (Read 381 times)  

Offline aliirani

• View Profile
old post
« on: November 21, 2019, 05:24:59 am »
thanks everyone
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:29:25 am by aliirani »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    Re: translation of public domain
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:48:40 am »
     Translations are eligible for copyright, especially if the translation is of literature in the public domain.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:20:32 pm »
    Are you asking whether Amazon will define it as a PD book, hence not eligible for the supposed 70 percent royalty? I think the chances of that are good enough that I would be reluctant to invest the time necessary to do a workmanlike translation.

Likely the publication would be permitted, since obviously (to me anyhow) you are adding the 25 percent "new content" required of any new PD work. But it seems that Amazon takes any chance it can get to give authors the lower royalty.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline alawston

• London
    • London-based writer and actor
      • View Profile
      • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:08:28 am »
    I've now translated ten French public domain books and self-published six (the other four are on the way over the next few months). One (Casanova) did incredibly well. I had the exact same worry the first time I came to publish, so let me save you a bit of time.

You own the copyright to your translation, and that translation is not public domain, it's yours. However, if someone else were to publish another translation of the same public domain book, and you suspected they'd plagiarised your own work, you might find it difficult to prove: there are often only so many "right" ways to skin a cat when it comes to translation work, so the chances are that there would be many similarities - or even identical passages - as a matter of course. With my own translations, I've therefore put in a few little flourishes that aren't in the original texts, even the odd deliberate mistake, and I've peppered the books with footnotes in my usual prose style, as well as extensive back matter on some of the books. It all just gives me a slightly stronger grip on my IP if anyone does ever try any sharp practice.

When you come to publish, you need to check the "I own the copyright and I hold the necessary publishing rights." box on the Publishing Rights section. If the book you've translated is relatively recent, Amazon may query it (this has never happened to me, with books by an author who died as recently as 1933, but it has happened to friends working on, say, adaptations of Sherlock Holmes material, where the copyright issue is a bit more complicated), but that's just a question of your reiterating that the book is public domain and that you are the translator.

You will receive royalties as with any other book, according to your pricing structure, and you will be eligible for KU.

I don't much like putting my name on the covers of my translations, but at one stage that was listed as a requirement by several retailers on D2D, and now it's sort of become part of my author brand, so I'm stuck with it. I would say though, make sure the original author's name is bigger...

Good luck with it, and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Translator, actor, publishing professional
    Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline alawston

• London
    • London-based writer and actor
      • View Profile
      • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 01:31:41 am »

Thanks for replying to the question.
    I liked your answer, can you please explain in detail and elaborate a little bit.
    can you help me to get approved by other distributors as i am confused about that?

it will be your great help if you do this please i request you
    thanks.

Sure - my main experience is of Amazon, but I have also published translations of public domain books through services including Smashwords and D2D. The process is more or less the same - though as I say some outlets do insist that your name is on the cover as translator. That was the only obstacle I encountered.

Translator, actor, publishing professional
    Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement