Author Topic: Problems With Paperwhite 4 Page Turns  (Read 479 times)  

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
Problems With Paperwhite 4 Page Turns
« on: November 26, 2019, 08:10:39 am »
Half the time my presses are not registering on the screen. I find that I have to press 2 or 3 times to get the next page. Or it jumps two pages and I have to go back. Is anyone else having this problem?

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Problems With Paperwhite 4 Page Turns
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 02:03:32 pm »
    There used to be a lot of talk in forums about this issue, much of it silly talk. :)

There are two ways to turn the page, by tapping and swiping.  Tapping requires that you tap in just the right area.  You might be missing the spot.  Swiping doesn't care where you swipe.  It just matters which direction you swipe.

It seems there are two kinds of people, tappers and swipers.  Some people, nobody seems to know why, can never make swiping work quite right so they have to be tappers.  Others are natural born swipers and they can tame the Paperwhite with their swipes but taps get the best of them as often as not.

I suggest making sure you're tapping in just the right place and if that doesn't help become a swiper.  Swipers tend to enjoy life more anyway, and swipers are better looking.  I'm sure you haven't guessed I'm a swiper. :)

While this is a kind of silly response it's also true.  When the first touch screen ereaders became available this was a very hot topic in forums and there was much discussion and much prejudice expressed.

Barry

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
    • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 02:16:23 pm »
    As long as there is nothing wrong with the Kindle. I got concerned. I didn't have this problem on the Paperwhite 2. I'll have to experiment with it. Why would it jump two pages ahead?

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 03:13:15 pm »
    Have you tried a restart?  That's always my first choice for smoothing out little glitches that have never been a problem before.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »
    I completely agree about a restart.

Jumping 2 pages is a common thing when you weren't using the method you aren't born to.

Since this didn't happen with your Paperwhite 2 and it is with your Paperwhite 4 it could be a difference in the sensitivity of the two models.  Or maybe in the two firmwares.  I noticed my Paperwhite 4's (I have 3 of them bought months apart) all seemed less sensitive than my Paperwhite 3's.  And then I did firmware upgrades on the Paperwhite 3's and now they all seem about the same.  I think they've just made the newer firmwares less sensitive.

If you still have your Paperwhite 2 you might test this by making sure you have the latest updates and then comparing them again.

Of course it really could be a defective screen touch layer although it really doesn't sound like it.

Barry

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »
    When the weather gets colder and the furnace is on all the time, I have a lot of trouble with all my devices registering my taps. I think it may have something to do with the dry air or dry older skin.

Offline Kindleing

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 10:37:19 pm »
    When the weather gets colder and the furnace is on all the time, I have a lot of trouble with all my devices registering my taps. I think it may have something to do with the dry air or dry older skin.

I have noticed the same thing; I frequently have problems with taps.  The other night I was reading on a Kobo Aura H2O-2 and time after time I either couldn't get the next page or it skipped two pages.  Sometimes I have the same problem with a Kindle PW-2 but other times they work fine.  That was one of the reasons I bought the Oasis 3.
    Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle FireHD 8.9

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:51:51 am »
    I'd say talleylyn has it the nail on the head. Humidity in the environment AND your skin will affect how well any touch on the screen registers, even if the device is working perfectly.

Also, practice patience. :) I've noticed (with kindle, phone, and tablet) that if I tap and nothing happens, and I tap again, then it goes too far. So it's lilke the first tap registered, but the thing was just slow to respond. If this is the pattern you're seeing, definitely try a restart to wipe out any stray bits that might be using memory and slowing things down.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement