Author Topic: Happy with Kindle Customer Service this Morning!  (Read 636 times)  

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Happy with Kindle Customer Service this Morning!
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:07:58 am »
My grandchildren, ages 5 and 9, spent the night last Saturday and I let them (as I always have) use my back-up Kindle Voyage to read from a collection I have set up just for them.  I turned off wireless before letting them use it, we read a couple of books together, then they were sharing it while in bed before going to sleep. There have been no previous problems and they have been very respectful of the device and using it.

Anyway, this morning, I opened it to check the battery charge and saw the home page full of titles I did not recognize.  One or both of the kids got the wireless back on, agreed to a Kindle Unlimited account (borrowed 2 books from there), and then purchased (including a pre-order) 9 other books including a personal growth workbook, a bible commentary, and 7 more books that were in NO WAY children's books (The Alien Prince's Secret Baby   ::) )!  The total was almost $70.  :o

While I know how to return books within 7 days and how to cancel KU, I was concerned about Amazon looking askance at that many returns at one time.  The Help/Call me feature from the website works so well; my home phone was ringing and I was speaking with a representative in seconds.

The representative was entertained by my story, shared a laugh with me, said "these things happen" and immediately deleted/credited everything in one batch.  I already have an e-mail with the breakdown of each book and the price.  The books are already gone from my Manage Your Content, and I have been told they will disappear from the Kindle within 24 hours without me doing anything else.  She also assured me the account was not in any jeopardy because of a batch return since I explained the circumstances and they had done all the work.  Whew!

Needless to say, I will be having a talk with the grandkids and their parents, and future use of Gma's Kindles will be under MUCH closer supervision for a while.

All's well that ends well?  ;)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jennifer R P

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Jennifer R. Povey
    Re: Happy with Kindle Customer Service this Morning!
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:10:54 am »
    I am fairly sure that Amazon deals with children ordering books all the time. Did they give you advice on how to lock purchases so the kids can't do that again?

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:20:42 am »
    I am fairly sure that Amazon deals with children ordering books all the time. Did they give you advice on how to lock purchases so the kids can't do that again?

They did.  I know how to add a PIN# for purchases, but it's rare for anyone but me or DH to use the Kindles and I'm not going to do it for a one-time-off.  The kids just won't have access to my back-up Kindle anymore unless they are using it beside me.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:00 am »
    They did.  I know how to add a PIN# for purchases, but it's rare for anyone but me or DH to use the Kindles and I'm not going to do it for a one-time-off.  The kids just won't have access to my back-up Kindle anymore unless they are using it beside me.

:D

You want to talk to them, too, of course, and find out how they did what they did and what they thought they were doing. Benefit of the doubt: it's likely they weren't intending to do any harm but were just 'playing' with the thing and didn't realize they'd spent Real Money, or, if they did, were embarrassed to say so. :)

I can imagine, if it's a 'sponsored' kindle for example, that they could have seen the book on the front and it looked interesting, and then when they tapped it to find out more (or it could have happened accidentally when the screen went to sleep and they woke it up) that it said 'turn wifi on?' and, not knowing any better, they said 'yes' and then they were connected. And the 'buying' that happened was them not realizing that's what they were doing and they thought these were just other books they could look at or they were trying to get away from where they were. 'Cause, after all, Amazon makes it REALLY EASY to buy books with the thing! :o :) :D

But, yeah, if you're going to let them use it, you might want to turn on the parental controls!
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 08:04:35 am »
    Yikes  :o

One thing you can do is to "forget" the wifi password. So unless they know the signin, they can't turn it back on. Course you'll have to connect back up to it. Because amazon keeps the wifi passwords saved so unless you make it forget, even a new kindle I connect always remembers.

But yeah, probably just supervise the little scroundrels.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 08:33:40 am »
    :D

You want to talk to them, too, of course, and find out how they did what they did and what they thought they were doing. Benefit of the doubt: it's likely they weren't intending to do any harm but were just 'playing' with the thing and didn't realize they'd spent Real Money, or, if they did, were embarrassed to say so. :)

I can imagine, if it's a 'sponsored' kindle for example, that they could have seen the book on the front and it looked interesting, and then when they tapped it to find out more (or it could have happened accidentally when the screen went to sleep and they woke it up) that it said 'turn wifi on?' and, not knowing any better, they said 'yes' and then they were connected. And the 'buying' that happened was them not realizing that's what they were doing and they thought these were just other books they could look at or they were trying to get away from where they were. 'Cause, after all, Amazon makes it REALLY EASY to buy books with the thing! :o :) :D

But, yeah, if you're going to let them use it, you might want to turn on the parental controls!

I imagine it was likely the youngest, my granddaughter, even if it was unintentional, because the older grandson has asked about buying books he was interested in before and because he has a kids Fire on his parents' account, knows how it works.

I will talk with them and want to try to figure out how they even got to the books they were buying.  It is not a special offers Kindle and if they were responding to links at the ends of the age-appropriate books they were reading, I can't figure out how in the world either of them would get to the categories of books they were looking at and ended up buying.  They didn't open any of the books to read them after they showed up so they weren't really interested in "having" the books they got - apparently just repeated button touching trying to return to their collection?  Who knows, it was fairly bizarre, IMO.

I did end up speaking with Customer Service a second time after an additional email listing deletion and refunds of 4 books that were "real" purchases after the date I called about, plus they missed one workbook that should have been deleted.  The real purchases have been repurchased and the workbook is now deleted and refunded.

The only thing I have noticed now that I am not going to call again about, is that two of the real purchases had $2.00 digital credits from changing my shipping choices on some Christmas orders.  I was only refunded the actual final purchase price and my digital credits were not re-credited so I had to rebuy those 2 books at full price. Not a big enough deal to worry about trying to explain again.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:16 am »
    Yeah ... it sounds like they were trying to do something and ended up someplace they didn't know anything about and just kept tapping things trying to escape! So, don't be too hard on 'em. :) 'Cause it sounds like they're basically good kids ... I mean, they WANT to READ! :o ;D Maybe just say, "if you see something on the screen you're not expecting, come get me."
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:52:28 pm »
    No, I won't be too hard on them - they are my only grandchildren after all!  And, yes, they fact they love to read is the most important part to me.  I have read to each of them starting at the hospital on the days they were born.  Their parents both read and read with them.  Children's books are about the only paper books I still buy and they have 100s both at my house and home.  They know Gma is a real soft touch when the Scholatistic flyers are handed out or there is a book fair at school.  My grandson knew how to read before he started pre-school.  My granddaughter (the 5-year old), is in kindergarten this year and is already reading at 3rd grade level.  They read aloud to me as almost as often as I read to them.

They do need to understand what they did and avoid ever doing it again by coming to me if something shows up on the screen that is not part of the book they are reading.  If they had actually been buying books for themselves because it was an appropriate something they wanted to read, I probably wouldn't have even asked for refunds, but still discussed it with them.

It might behoove me to go ahead and set up parental controls on that particular Kindle.  I don't EVER want them to think they are in trouble because they want to read!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:48:06 pm »
    You could also buy a new kindle during black friday that is used just for the kids.  ;D. That way you can always keep the parental stuff on it and not have to take it off again.

I too though wonder how those books were displayed on that kindle. Was that part of the suggestion? Or just another section they have on the home page? Its just a bizarre selection of books. I mean they have to have found those somehow. And not by searching them. Just like thump nails they clicked on.

But yeah, yay for amazon to understand those issues. They probably know exactly how easy that is to happen.

And having reading kids is pretty much priceless in today's world.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 10:58:19 am »
    I'm a retired computer programmer.  I wrote software of all sorts professionally for decades.  I think it's fair to say I was an expert.  But there was no way I could know as much as the average kid could figure out about any computer or computerized device such as the Kindle, with just a few minutes exposure.  Our kids are supermen.  We're lucky to have them to advise us. :)

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement