Author Topic: Oh Tannenbaum......Oh Tannenbaum......riding this jingle horse into 2020!!!!!!  (Read 1288 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Tannenbaum......Oh Tannenbaum......
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 06:41:16 am »
They really are so pretty to look at and I am thinking how long it would take to paint that. I love the reindeer and look at all the hair painted on it. The colors are just so striking. I like the one in the last with the cross shoulder bag. Practical santa  ;D
Its like the more I look at it, the more details I see.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 07:04:52 am »
    I don't know how long they took to paint. I think she may have given them to me in 3 different years.

I'm making progress in getting more things put out. One tree is up and most of the ornaments we brought in last week are either set out or hanging on the tree. Hopefully we'll bring in more tubs of ornaments this afternoon and II will get his tree set up. The work schedule this coming week is erratic as call times and event times are a weird mix so it is just a matter of working on hanging ornaments as we can.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 07:45:48 am »
    All the Santas are wonderful, LL!  I only have one ceramic Santa, made for me years and years ago by a friend who is no longer with us.  It is the exact Santa on the left of your second shelf in the pictures (the blue one with the rope/bells belt), except mine is in shades of burgundy and gold.  I had no idea there were so many other beautiful choices.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 07:06:46 am »
    Progress made as the trees are up. Now hanging ornaments will be the priority after the next two days of working. Maybe by the time II gets home from work on Friday, the trees will be done and shadow box mirror will have been decorated. I plan on saying we've done enough for this year once the above has been done. And then I'll try not to think about the un-decorating part for a while. 

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 11:03:00 am »
    My first holiday event is this evening where we will have an cookie/candy/treat exchange for refreshments following a meeting.  I spent a couple of hours this morning making both a sweet (caramelized) and a savory "Chex" mix.  I always add to the traditional ingredients and they never turn out the same way twice. :)

This time the sweet batch has, in addition to two types of the cereal:  puffed corn, sesame sticks, dried fruits (bananas, blueberries, raisins, and pineapple), pretzel nuggets, animal crackers and deluxe mixed nuts.

The savory in addition to the cereals: sesame sticks, pretzel nuggets, garlic bagel chips, assorted cheese goldfish crackers, and deluxe mixed nuts.  I also added some anchovy paste to the melted butter/spice mixture you pour over and mix in.  I like this addition (of course some is already in Worcestershire sauce that's in there too) and DH has already requested that I keep whatever change I made this year, so that's a plus!

There were really cute holiday decorated cellophane bags at the dollar store which I have to fill as soon as the mixes are cooled off and I will be ready to go!

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 03:23:56 pm »
    Loonlover, I love your Santas!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:36 pm »
    Man, crebel has the best food. I hope your first event was a success. You make my mouth water with the description of that chex mix. Thankfully those are virtual carbs  :P How do you serve that at events? sticky fingers?  ;D. I assume folks just shovel that in by the cup full. It just sounds delicious. So you bake those ingredients on to the mix and put it in bags. OMG I should have eaten before reading that.  :-X. My stomach just growled. 

I am still waffling on what to make for christmas. I make ham every year. Its a spiral cut cooked ham they sell at the store. Its good and we have lots of leftovers during the year. But, I want something else.  I am eyeballing some turducken they sell at the HEB a bit further away. They make them in Houston I think and freeze them. I never had turducken and those are stuffed with jalapena and such things. On the 24th, I always make what I grew up with. Bratwurst, potatoes and sauerkraut. There is a severe lack of german bratwurst, so I have to buy the one from Trader Joe's, which is actually a german bratwurst. Made there and bavarian style, which is white. So as close as I can get it. I usually buy 5 or 6 packs of those every time I get to TJ.

I just went outside again to look at my lights and the neighbors. Mine aren't as bright as they are solar of course, but I like to enjoy them while I can. It was cold this morning like 34 or so. All day its been nippy. So nice tea sipping day and turning on my lights inside earlier.  ;D
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:32:55 pm by Atunah »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 05:19:53 am »
    Let me know when the bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potatoes are ready and I'll be right over!  Are they separate dishes or do you fry them all together in one pan?   :-* 8)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 07:39:49 am »
    I make the german fried potatoes in one pan and just fry the bratwurst in another. Due to the laws in the US, the bratwurst is already cooked. So I just brown it up a bit. The potatoes I slice with my saladshooter and add in a large cast iron pan with lots of melted butter or ghee. Salt and pepper and put a lid on and let sit at medium heat so they fry on that side. 10-20 minutes, depending. Then I flip them with a spatula and do the other side a bit. Top with parsley.
    Can fry onion in it too if want.

Sauerkraut can be eaten cold or hot. I usually keep it cold as I like to buy the natural fermented if I can find it. Others I heat up. Just how I feel like it. If I heat it its just in a saucepan.

Normally you'd serve some german rolls with it.

Offline Betty Blast

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 08:57:41 am »
    Thanks for sharing your pictures. CegAbq, I love the glass carousel and the ship! Everything feels rushed this year, probably because of Thanksgiving being so late. I'm running behind on decorations and baking.

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 06:21:14 am »
    II said he tied about 100 hangers last night at work so I guess we will hang ornaments today. The trees do look good with the different length hangers. We don't have evergreen trees; last year we bought gold metal trees that are about 7 ft tall so all we see are the ornaments (of which we have way too many). He figured out a snag puller works really well for pulling the thread through the ornament hook. And, we should be able to put the ornaments away with the hanger attached. Less work for next year. Anyway, I think we are about through with the decorating and will be able to just enjoy the looks now.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »
    I love this topic  :) CegAbq, those glass creations are absolutely lovely, and what a fascinating story!

On the 24th, we go out and have a dinner in a restaurant. For years since my early childhood, I saw my mother, grandmothers and every female friend and relative slaving in the kitchen in preparation of the Christmas Eve dinner, as the European traditions require. So, at some point, we decided to eat out as a bit of a personal protest against the somewhat unfair division of holiday duties  :D Also, we are usually quite busy in December with work, so it's a good excuse.

Of course, we still do the Christmas Day food in a big way. I am thinking about a roasted duck, with roasted veggies. But that bratwurst with all those delicious potatoes - that sounds good, too. And since Atunah mentioned German food, I am also contemplating some sort of meat rolls stuffed with prosciutto, hard-boiled egg and other good things. Hmmm...so many options, so little time!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 14, 2019, 04:51:21 pm »
    Yum, roasted duck!  I watched a show on the Food Network today where the chef roasted root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabega, and something else - parsnips, maybe) in duck fat.  My first thought was, "I would eat that right now if it were set in front of me!"  :D

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 10:54:16 am »
    What an great topic.  Everyones stories and traditions are so interesting. After not putting up a tree for years, I decided I wanted to this year.  Not the old tree that required one to stick the limbs in to holes on the tree trunk (took forever), but a little 4 ft. prelit tree.  I didnt bother with dragging down ornaments, etc. from the attic.  I just put the tree on its stand and plugged it in. Easiest tree I ever put up.  I was finishing my shopping at a little gift shop last week and the owner offered me my choice of an ornament.  I selected a star so that is the only ornament on my little tree.  That and the lights are enough.  I have a few other items on the mantle and an entry way table plus a lighted wreath on the front door.  I usually dont bother with decorating for Christmas since Im not home and there is no one here to enjoy my efforts other than myself and the dogs. 

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 17, 2019, 02:20:07 pm »
    What an great topic.  Everyones stories and traditions are so interesting. After not putting up a tree for years, I decided I wanted to this year.  Not the old tree that required one to stick the limbs in to holes on the tree trunk (took forever), but a little 4 ft. prelit tree.  I didn't bother with dragging down ornaments, etc. from the attic.  I just put the tree on its stand and plugged it in. Easiest tree I ever put up.  I was finishing my shopping at a little gift shop last week and the owner offered me my choice of an ornament.  I selected a star so that is the only ornament on my little tree.  That and the lights are enough.  I have a few other items on the mantle and an entry way table plus a lighted wreath on the front door.  I usually don't bother with decorating for Christmas since I'm not home and there is no one here to notice my efforts other than myself and the dogs but I am enjoying the little I have done this year.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »
    When I put my tree together, its in 4 sections, I put the lights on first. I made the mistake in not buying a prelit. Once that was done I plugged it in to make sure it worked and It actually looked nice just like that. Probably because I put on a lot of lights. But since I am inept at light hanging, all the wires were visible so even just for that I needed ornaments. And of course I already went to town at the big lots discount store.  ;D

One thing I find funny in our community and others. When I drive down during the day it looks like a christmas santa massacre as all the inflatables are laying down flat murdered. They only turn them on in the evening. Its just so bizarre looking. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 25, 2019, 08:38:06 am »
    Everyone, have a wonderful christmas day and happy holidays.  :-*

Santa brought me some puzzles  ;D. I called my mom just now in Germany and she reminded me of the movie i watched each year since I was a wee babe. She says they play it like 17 times in Germany. Its an 1973 movie made in the czech republic and its a tradition to watch it each year. So I went to the magical place called youtube and found a version they restored in 2015 and it has english subtitles. Guess what I am about to watch with my steaming cup of snowman tea.  ;D

I know there are a gazillion "cinderella" movies out there, but if you have a chance, I'd suggest to watch this one. To me it is the best of course. The score and the scenery is out of this world.

Translated the title would be something like Three hazelnuts for Cinderella (Aschenputtel).
    I am so happy I found it. You'll have to turn on captions to get the subtitles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFCIArJrCc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFCIArJrCc</a>
    « Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:41:50 am by Atunah »

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #42 on: December 26, 2019, 12:28:43 pm »
     ;D ;D I am from "there" (Czech Republic) and I am just amazed people all over Europe keep watching it year after year  :)

In our household, we watch Pirates of the Caribbean.

Our car broke down just before Christmas, so instead of going to a restaurant I roasted the duck on Christmas Eve with experimental sweet potato gnocchi. I was quite pleased with the results. But I still feel like a giant boa constrictor that just swallowed a donkey  :)

Now I need to figure out what to eat on New Year's Eve and New Years Day.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 01:54:03 pm »
    Yeah, I am still full too and still have new years. I obviously flung myself off the low carb wagon a wee bit. But I'll rein it in starting in the new year.

Oh no, car breaking down just before christmas? Is that #5 on the list of Murphy's law? Sorry about that.

Love that you are from "there"  ;D. I grew up literally on the border to czech. We used to jump over the posts iin the ground and tease the soldiers back in the day. You know, before it was all open. It was a short walk to get there for us. And later a short drive to the border.
    This movie I grew up with. I remember there was a lot of czech productions on TV. Lots of great childrens programs too.

I like that this cinderella kicks the princes butt in archery. And pretty much makes him beg. Although I should have probably warned the others that there are animal deaths in it during a hunt.

They did a great job too with the restoration. I remember watching a version a few years ago on youtube that was so blurry I couldn't really make anything out. And there were no subtitles and I don't speak czech.  :P. Of course I grew up watching it dubbed into german.

Man I ate way too much last evening. I made some porchetta roast I got from trader joe's and it was so good. Bacon wrapped pork, how could it not be good.  ;D. I already sliced it all up and froze the rest for work lunches.

New years I might just stick with cold trays. So we can nibble. Not sure yet. Growing up we always had fondue on new years eve. Every single year and it took a few hours to do. Then one of the man folk tried to blow off their hand or head with fireworks.
    Now here thankfully its not allowed in city limits. I can still watch the ones in the distance. Since I have 2 open sides from my yard I have a pretty good view actually.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    I made some porchetta roast I got from trader joe's and it was so good. Bacon wrapped pork, how could it not be good.  ;D. I already sliced it all up and froze the rest for work lunches.

Ohhhh that sounds delicious!!!!!! I lived in Bavaria for a few months (exactly during the time when the Berlin wall went down) and I gained about 15 pounds during that time. Dangerous people, Bavarians  :D But I still remember the fairy-tale Christmas visit to beautiful Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Living in Germany has had a great disadvantage of missing it, for a little bit at least, for the rest of my life  :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement