Author Topic: First Reads -- December 2019  (Read 399 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
First Reads -- December 2019
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:34:29 am »
Amazon First Reads

Please note, commentary is my own personal opinion only. :)

We have:

Suspense: This looks pretty dark; doesn't appeal.

Contemporary Fiction: People with a Perfect Life, and then Bad Things happen. Ho hum.

Psychological Thriller: This is a possibility, but, again, might be a bit dark.

Crime Fiction: First in a new series by Lee Goldberg, who's generally reliable, and this looks promising. But I thought the same of the Patricia Cornwell one a couple of months ago and got burned.

Historical Fiction: NOT set in Europe in the 1940s! Instead, Alaska during the gold rush years at the turn of the 20th century. A possibility!

Family Drama: Torn between two lovers. Meh.

Children's Picture Book: No need for a kid's book for me. :)

Non-Fiction: A sports story: tragedy, underdogs, triumph.

So a couple possibles for me this month. I'll wait at least a few days and see how the reviews look.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:54:45 am by Ann in Arlington »
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    Re: First Reads -- December 2019
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:03:10 am »
    I was hoping for entertaining and uplifting choices for the holiday season.  I'm likely to pass ... again.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 06:35:26 am »
    I was hoping for entertaining and uplifting choices for the holiday season.  I'm likely to pass ... again.

I know, right? Hallmark Channel has been showing Christmas movies since Halloween! ;D There isn't even a fluffy romance this month! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:00 am »
    That is a bit odd I agree. And we haven't had a romance in ages anyway, what better time to put one up. I just don't think those editors that are choosing who to publish and then picking those firsts reads care much about what time a year. Who knows how long ahead they pick those. I guess they just like the dark and dreary mostly. Is that what is popular in general fiction also?

I'll take a closer look at the selection. I don't mind dark in my readings, if other elements are there.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:51:56 am by Atunah »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 07:49:19 am »
    That is a bit odd I agree. And we haven't had a romance in ages anyway, what better time to put one up. I just don't think those editors that are choosing who to publish and then picking those firsts reads care much about what time a year. Who knows how long ahead they pick those. I guess they just like the dark and dreary mostly. Is that what is popular in general fiction also?

Hard to say .... seems like none of us here really read a lot of 'general fiction' -- not the titles that get pushed to the front of bookstores. I mean, look at the Goodreads 'best of' voting ... I've hardly even heard of most of the books and, of the ones I did, only read a couple. And of the ones I had heard of but didn't read, it's because I didn't think they looked enjoyable. Lately people seem to be wanting things to be 'meaningful' and 'uplifting'. I get that -- but for me a fun and/or cozy mystery read does it .... not this angst ridden stuff that's all the rage. </curmudgeon mode off> ;D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:47 pm »
    Is it just me or is this month's selection actually pretty great?

Lee Goldberg is one of my favorites, always good, and does anyone remember that he posted here several years ago and seemed unusually angry at indie book reviewers like RedAdept? :D

The basketball one sounds like a Hoosiers type of story, which is always fun.

In the e-mail Amazon sent, this is how the Contemporary Fiction book is described: "Husbands and wives. Brothers and sisters. Mothers and daughters. Okay, everybody. Hold on tight." That makes it sound intriguing, but I'll have to investigate more.

Ann said it perfectly about the Psychological Thriller: "This is a possibility, but, again, might be a bit dark."

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:57:38 am »
    A couple of different books in the UK offerings this month but I think I'll pass.

It's nice to see some period stories that AREN'T set in WWII but even so, most of these books sound like they'd be pretty depressing reads.
    Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement