Author Topic: Manage Content and Devices feature  (Read 1090 times)  

Online etexlady

• View Profile
Manage Content and Devices feature
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »
As I have mentioned in other posts, my elderly relative has one of my Kindles and I share books I purchase with her.  I set up her Kindle with some collections such as To Read, Already Read, New Books, etc.  Along the way she fiddled with the setup and ended up downloading all the books.  The books are now ordered by author name.  When I transfer books to her I have to send her an email stating the title and author name or she would never know she had new books to read.  Its a clunky setup.  It seems I recall at one time one could move books into collections via the Content and Devices feature but I cant find that option anymore.  Has that function been removed and, if not, where can I find it?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Manage Content and Devices feature
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:12 pm »
    You should be able to do it via the page at Amazon. Click the number in the column for 'collections' and click 'add to collections' to tell it where to put the book.

Or, to do a bunch at a time (not sure how many is 'too many'), check the boxes at left and then the 'add to collections' button at the top is available.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:31:15 pm »
    When you go to Content and Devices you'll see the list of books.  Off to the left of each book there's a button with 3 dots.  Click that and a menu pops up with various options for that book.  The option to add it to a collection is the bottom option.

She'll probably have to sync her Kindle for it to show up in that collection.

Barry

Online etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:20:16 pm »
    When you go to Content and Devices you'll see the list of books.  Off to the left of each book there's a button with 3 dots.  Click that and a menu pops up with various options for that book.  The option to add it to a collection is the bottom option.

Barry

This is exactly what I tried initially.  The menu that pops up offers no option regarding collections.

Online etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 02:24:54 pm »
    You should be able to do it via the page at Amazon. Click the number in the column for 'collections' and click 'add to collections' to tell it where to put the book.

Or, to do a bunch at a time (not sure how many is 'too many'), check the boxes at left and then the 'add to collections' button at the top is available.

Not sure what the number in the column for collections is?  I can find no options to add a book to a collection.

Interestingly, I can use the Kindle app on my iPad to move books to the various collections so I guess that might be the easier way to go.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:15:37 pm »
    This is exactly what I tried initially.  The menu that pops up offers no option regarding collections.

I'm not sure why you don't see it.  I do.  I just opened that menu on the top book on the first page and "Add to Collections" was at the bottom of the menu.  I've never actually done it that way before so I tried it and sure enough, it worked.

Are you in the USA?  Maybe it's different for Amazon's in other countries.  Do you have collections set up already?  I do and it listed those I have with checkboxes to select the ones I want to put it in.

Other than that I don't know.  It might be worth calling Kindle support.

Barry

Offline Kindleing

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 04:34:42 pm »
    Do you have collections set up already?  I do and it listed those I have with checkboxes to select the ones I want to put it in.

I see it also but I don't have any collections set up.  When I click on the number in the collections column ("0") it tells me I don't have any collections in my library but gives me the "Add to collection" link.
    Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle FireHD 8.9

Online etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 05:33:17 pm »
    Is the page you are referencing the Manage Content and Devices page at the Amazon site?  If so, when I click the square box and then the three dots, I get some options but none say anything about collections.

I do have several collections set up on my Kindles (Oasis 2nd gen is the default).  Anyway, I was able to accomplish what I wanted using the Kindle app on my iPad. 

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
    If you're using a Chromebook, the MYCD page doesn't offer the option to add to collections and doesn't have the column to show how many collections a book is in.

Online etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 08:24:14 am »
    If you're using a Chromebook, the MYCD page doesn't offer the option to add to collections and doesn't have the column to show how many collections a book is in.

BINGO!  Fogeydc for the win.  I use the Chrome browser on my iPad to access certain sites of which Amazon is one.  I switched to Firefox, signed in to Amazon and there was the Collections column.  Thank you, Fogeydc, for taking the time to post.

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 08:52:40 am »
    FWIW, the Chrome browser in Windows does show the collections stuff. You never know...

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 09:37:39 am »
    Apple gets another gold star for finding new and ingenious ways to inconvenience it's customers. :)

Barry

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 11:09:54 am »
    Apple gets another gold star for finding new and ingenious ways to inconvenience it's customers. :)

Barry

I was referring to a *Chromebook* not a Chrome browser on another platform.
    Chromebook runs Google Chrome OS.

I haven't used Chrome browser on mobile devices, just on Windows & (of course) Chromebook.

Maybe speak/complain to Google about the mobile version of Chrome browser, I don't think Apple writes that app.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 04:12:49 pm »
    I realize you were talking about a Chromebook.  Etexlady said that she's using the Chrome browser on her Ipad.

I don't really know if this is a Chrome, aka Google issue or an Apple issue or an Amazon issue.  My guess is that it's Amazon but that it's because they have to have a different kind of interface for IOS devices, and somehow they found a reason to leave out that feature when showing a page to that device.  That wouldn't account for Chromebooks having that issue unless the browser on a Chromabook is using code first developed on an Ipad, which is probably likely since they're both *nix devices and the Ipad Chrome was around before there were Chromebooks.  But of course I'm just guessing.  I don't have a single fact to support my guess.

Even so I'm sure not going to miss an opportunity to ding Apple for their many inconveniences.

I bought my Ipad for drawing and I like it for that.  I also would like to move videos I have to it and with their new versions of IOS that's not as difficult as it used to be.  I can find a way to do it if I work at it.  It's complicated enough that if I don't do it for a week I have to figure it out all over again.  And, of course, it works differently for every video app.

So I use Android tablets for videos.  Putting videos on an Android tablet is trivial and I don't have to care which app will show it.  Once it's on the tablet they all have access to it.

IOS products are for people who like to spend more money to complicate their lives. :)

Barry

Offline Kindleing

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 05:15:59 pm »
    IOS products are for people who like to spend more money to complicate their lives. :)

I prefer to think of IOS products as being for those who don't want every detail of their personal lives sent to Google.
    Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle FireHD 8.9

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 05:47:31 pm »

Barry

I don't seem to have the trouble you do with using an iPad. It certainly hasn't complicated my life, more like simplified a number of things over the years & solved some problems. Been using iPads since the first one came out.
    (and no, I don't use a Mac, I have Windows PC as well as Chromebook & Kindles)

I have an app I use for videos (& several other file types) & have no trouble getting them on there, either file-sharing in iTunes or download from my Dropbox. I don't worry about using different apps for different videos, all I want to do is watch them!

Maybe my life is just-so-simple (or I am), it certainly isn't all that exciting.

WRT Google, they know plenty about me since I use Chrome, YouTube, etc.
    OTOH I don't use gmail beyond trying it out just-to-see.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 06:55:32 pm »
    I didn't mean to start a ruckus.  I was being half serious and half not so serious.  I'm on my 3rd Ipad and for the few things I do with it it's very good.  It's just that I also have Android tablets so it's easy for me to compare.

My sister uses an Iphone and I tease her about it all the time but we still get along just fine. :)

As for Itunes, I haven't used that for a few years.  I uninstalled it because it was user sadistic and I was tired of being it's victim.  Sending videos to Dropbox is very inconvenient for me because my connection has decent download speeds but very poor upload speeds.  Still, the video player I prefer will let me transfer things to it directly from my laptop once I find the right combination.  It's a tricky process but I can figure it out when I have to.  On android it's very simple.

At one point I changed video players because Apple had bought Dolby to get the patent on the AC3 codec used on DVD's for sound and a lot of my videos were ripped DVDs and Apple refused to license it to the new version of the player I was using.  I found a new player but that meant I had to upload all my videos again.  Big hassle.  And then that player had to issue a new version without the AC3 codec.  I gave up playing videos on my Ipad.

Now the patent on AC3 has expired so I can use it again although I don't.  I just draw on it and play a game or two and read the Washington Post on it at times.  It's very good for those things.  I have an Android tablet I can draw with but the Ipad is a bit better for that.  The Ipad is really for people who only do what Apple expects them to do.  And if you aren't paying them to be able to do it, as in the case of AC3, they'll try to prevent you.  I'm pretty sure they did that to make it difficult for people to play videos on the Ipad that hadn't been bought from Apple.  They bought Dolby and sold it soon after but they kept that patent.

We live in a capitalist economy and this is how it's supposed to work.  It encourages people and companies to fight hard and fight dirty, within limits, to make money.  I have no problem with Apple doing that but I reserve the right to get irked when it affects me. :)

Barry

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 08:00:55 pm »
    The Ipad is really for people who only do what Apple expects them to do.  And if you aren't paying them to be able to do it, as in the case of AC3, they'll try to prevent you.  I'm pretty sure they did that to make it difficult for people to play videos on the Ipad that hadn't been bought from Apple.  They bought Dolby and sold it soon after but they kept that patent.

Barry

I don't have a problem playing videos. Perhaps I'm not as picky as you are WRT exact format/codec/whatever; I certainly don't need hi-falutin-surround-sound for what I watch.

I've bought very few videos from Apple, can't even remember any just now. I have both downloaded material (various sources) & ripped-DVDs.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 06:59:45 am »
    AC3 isn't about fancy sound.  It's about getting sound at all.  It's a codec which is code that compresses and de-compresses.  A movie or even a song would be huge if it wasn't compressed and they use some very sophisticated means to make the files smaller.  A typical movie's file size is reduced up to about 98% by what is termed lossy compression.  That means they not only compress the data, they leave out any of it that we wouldn't notice.  AC3 is the method for compressing the sound on DVD's.  When I rip a movie from a DVD and make it into a computer file it's easy enough to change the compression method to MP3 but it takes an extra step and until Apple did this there was no reason to.  As a result I have a library of movies and TV shows with AC3 and Apple took away my ability to play them on the Ipad.

That patent expired 3 or 4 years ago and now all the video players can use AC3 again but Apple prevented that as long as it could.

Barry

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
    Glad you found a solution etexlady. I use the chrome browser exclusively on my computer, but I never owned or used a Ithingy device or a chrome book. On my computer everything is just fine. Weird that it works so different across devices and brands. 

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 07:15:45 am »
    This is a VERY poorly implemented and updated feature/function. One should be able to remove multiple titles from one's device without being forced to go to each one individually. That should be possible online at amazon.com on the manage devices page but the only option there is to delete them which also permanently removes them from one's account.

There should be an option to sort in our devices by size and also by percentage read.

Very poor work Amazon.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement