Author Topic: ACX promo question  (Read 648 times)  

Offline Ron Sauder

• View Profile
ACX promo question
« on: December 05, 2019, 08:29:40 am »
This is a how-to question that pertains to ACX, so I hope it is not fatally off-topic for this forum.

I have a number of promo codes for 4 ACX audiobooks that I would like to offer as a complimentary gift to long-term subscribers to my mailing list. The element of choice is important. I would like to send out a survey tool through MailChimp and have subscribers register their choices. I can't think of a way to totally automate the distribution, since every subscriber will get a unique code, but it would be nice to automate the "voting" part of it, followed by a personal email with a uniquely assigned promo code from me.

Has anyone done this, or some variant of this, and if so, do you have any tips and tricks to pass on?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    Re: ACX promo question
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 09:20:03 am »
    I've done something similar - offering an audiobook of the reader's choice in my monthly newsletter.

What I do is set up a google form with two fields - a fillable box for their email, and a pick-one radio button question listing all my audiobooks so they can pick which one they want.  Then I just put the link to the google doc in the newsletter.

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline Ron Sauder

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:58:11 am »
    Nice idea. Thanks for the tip.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:34:06 pm »
    Here's something to know: You get paid for promo code redemptions just as if they were purchases!

I know. Wild. So, that means you should give away codes with abandon.

I tried a newsletter that said, "If you want a code, reply and let me know."

That worked okay, but here's what worked better: "Below are fifteen codes. Try one, if it doesn't work, go on to the next!"

Some readers found that annoying, but they sure scarfed up the codes. To illustrate ...

Here are five codes for Sufficient Evidence (For the US). They may be redeemed at https://audible.com/acx-promo

D7UTXNHTFWQF2
    F3E8H7PSX8AGD
    JDYJDUANYQB7P
    JRJFQ8J2NHGGJ
    KTKQ62JHLPC74

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline George Saoulidis

• Greece
      • View Profile
      • Become a mythographer
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:50 am »
    Here's something to know: You get paid for promo code redemptions just as if they were purchases!

That worked okay, but here's what worked better: "Below are fifteen codes. Try one, if it doesn't work, go on to the next!"

Some readers found that annoying, but they sure scarfed up the codes. To illustrate ...

Here are five codes for Sufficient Evidence (For the US). They may be redeemed at https://audible.com/acx-promo

D7UTXNHTFWQF2
    F3E8H7PSX8AGD
    JDYJDUANYQB7P
    JRJFQ8J2NHGGJ
    KTKQ62JHLPC74

I did the same, gave away codes first-come-first-serve in my audio segment. Also, storyorigin has a neat new feature about giving away audio codes, mine trickle in steadily with newsletter swaps. And there's a buggy beta version of audiobookboom, called freeaudiobookcodes.com which you can try.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 08:18:59 am »
    Also, storyorigin has a neat new feature about giving away audio codes

My impression was the only thing that gave you was the ability to screen those who wanted a promo code. That is, see what kind of reviews they gave, etc. I decided that didn't help much, since I'm so free with the codes (and I get paid for each redemption).

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Alex Anders

• At the intersection of Business and Pleasure
      • View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 04:47:02 pm »

D7UTXNHTFWQF2
    F3E8H7PSX8AGD
    JDYJDUANYQB7P
    JRJFQ8J2NHGGJ
    KTKQ62JHLPC74

Oh wow! This blew my mind, a little. I just called ACX to make sure this was correct. And, yes. We get the same amount as if a member used a credit to purchase the book.
    MMF Bisexual Romance Author

Website | YouTube | Facebook| Twitter | T-shirts

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 06:49:45 pm »
    Oh wow! This blew my mind, a little. I just called ACX to make sure this was correct. And, yes. We get the same amount as if a member used a credit to purchase the book.

Right. They don't advertise this fact. I bet it won't last forever.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 10:48:21 am »
    I'm offering the codes to my mailing list. But taking your cue, TromboneAl, I'm going to break my codes up by birthday months. And I will be telling my readers to try a code from the group corresponding to your birthday month first. And if there are no more code for Jan - Mar (for example), try from the bottom of the list that corresponds to your mother's birthday.

I figure that this way, there aren't 100 people all trying the same promo codes. Hopefully people will find this less annoying. 

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
    I considered doing the same thing but with the first letters of their names rather than birthday months. Let me know how it goes.

I think that the "here are the codes" approach generates more redemptions than the "reply to this newsletter if you want a code" approach because it's more likely to generate a spontaneous response. IOW, they won't think, "Do I really want this audiobook?" they'll just click. Also, it's a game or contest, and it may suggest a scarcity (get yours before they run out).

BTW, none of the codes I provided above have been redeemed.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 12:02:24 pm »
    TromboneAl, how did you get your 22 reviews on Audible? Are they all from your newsletter's street team?

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 05:17:05 pm »
    TromboneAl, how did you get your 22 reviews on Audible? Are they all from your newsletter's street team?

Let's see. I shared fifty codes with my newsletter subscribers, and I shared twenty codes with individuals I got from an Audiobookboom promotion. I see that sixty-five promo codes have been redeemed. Also, 285 audiobooks have been sold/redeemed, total. So, that's where the reviews came from.

I should think of some new ways to share the redemption codes.

For Conclusive Evidence, I put nine codes in a tweet (that got 236 impressions). One was redeemed.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline aimeeeasterling

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 05:41:44 pm »
    I did the same, gave away codes first-come-first-serve in my audio segment. Also, storyorigin has a neat new feature about giving away audio codes, mine trickle in steadily with newsletter swaps. And there's a buggy beta version of audiobookboom, called freeaudiobookcodes.com which you can try.

There's also https://www.freeaudiobookpromocodes.com/list-an-audiobook.html. (Yes, this is different from freeaudiobookcodes.com.) I've tried the former and it's easy and effective. Also cost-effective, especially if you pay for the rechargeable option and go through all 100 of your US codes.

That said, giving away so many promo codes and getting paid for them *does* feel like a loophole that will close up and might be slightly gray hat. On the other hand, maybe Amazon is willing to give us the cash in exchange for being exclusive?

Try Shifter Origins and Shifter Origins II for FREE!
    Aimee Easterling | Aimee Easterling - Author Page | Facebook Page

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
      • AlexAndersBooks.com
    « Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 06:54:22 pm »
    ACX has a history of being very generous to acquire new customers.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement