Author Topic: Library Extension for Firefox  (Read 313 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Library Extension for Firefox
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:31:29 am »
We'd previously had some discussion about a plug in for Chrome that would let you check to see if the book you were looking at was available via Overdrive/at your library. I don't remember what it was called, but, to my knowledge, they never developed it for other browsers. I know I'd gotten on a list for info when they did and never heard anything.

Well, I've just discovered one that works with Firefox -- it was referenced in a Washington Post article about ebook library lending. It's called Library Extension and you can find it if you go to add-ons in the settings area of Firefox. It works well. You can configure it so it will look in libraries where you have cards and you can click through if it shows as available so you can place a hold or, I presume, borrow it, directly.

It is a bit confusing as it will show something like "0 of 6 copies". Apparently it pulls that from the library site because when you click through it says that. BUT you can still place the hold and then it will actually show where you stand in the queue. It will show whether audiobook or ebbok is available (or both). One minus for me is that it doesn't include, that I've found, the Navy MWR eLibrary. But it does appear to be pretty much world wide as far as libraries listed.

It works for Amazon.com but also a bunch of international Amazon sites. And lists other book sellers as well that have on line presences.  And it's not just for ebooks -- you can set it to search the paper catalog as well.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Re: Library Extension for Firefox
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 12:36:37 pm »
    I love those extensions. I have 2 different ones installed for some reason. Chrome though. One of them shows up on Amazon when I look at kindle books and on goodreads both show up. So I think I'll keep the one that shows on both of the sites. If I can figure out which is which.  :-\. It is very handy when someone recommend something and I can put it on hold right from the book pages.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 03:41:06 pm »
    I hadn't heard of this - it has the potential to be really helpful.

I just installed it and tried it out and it's good but perhaps not entirely accurate. I tried one book I knew was available as an ebook at the library and when I clicked on the kindle edition on Amazon it searched and said nothing was available, but when I clicked on the hard back edition, the library search found the ebook.  :-\

Even so, I think it will be useful. Now all I have to do is go through my Amazon wishlist of too expensive books and see which ones it manages to find at the library. :)
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:37:14 am »
    I'm really liking this. I have it working both on Amazon and GoodReads. I've been able to borrow a couple of books rather than spend to buy them because it automatically tells me if the book is available at one of my libraries.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement