Author Topic: I may have started developing feelings for G-Docs, shhh, don't tell Scrivener  (Read 1010 times)  

Offline scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
I've been the biggest proponent of Scrivener since...well, many years now. We fell in love, got engaged, then got married some time ago.

But recently...I was away from my main computer, no Scrivener. And Google Docs said it had me covered. I thought, oh what the hell? What's a couple of pages? But those couple of pages have almost turned into a novel...and, well, I haven't told Scrivener about it... It was so innocent at first! Just a few quick business docs, for professionalism. And then it just...happened.

Tell me I'm not alone.

Should I tell Scrivener? Should I keep both? I'm so confused!  :P

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    Check out the html. Choose the one that does a less horrible job.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

• North Philly
      • View Profile
      • Scott Marmorstein
    Check out the html. Choose the one that does a less horrible job.

I might have failed to mention that I download the final copy in Word, and import to Vellum for output. :)

Online Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist

Tell me I'm not alone.

Should I tell Scrivener? Should I keep both? I'm so confused!

I look on Google Docs as the always available, on any device, shock troops for Scrivener. I think of GDocs as an extension of Scrivener and these days I couldn't be without it.

Let me explain.

I travel on business to some rough and ready places (war zones etc) and I use Chromebooks because they are dead cheap, can be replaced easily and quickly, and all of my data and apps are backed up in the Cloud and can be restored to any Chromebook anywhere in about 5 minutes.

They do not run Scrivener and the Msword version available for them has never appealed.

But Google Docs works on-line or off-line, on the CBooks of course, but also on my phone and any other computing device available. The features are adequate for drafting and the voice recognition feature, while limited in capabilities, (won't do transcription) does a more than acceptable job of dictation with rudimentary punctuation. When I am back to somewhere with Scrivener it is a pretty trivial job to import my GDocs writing into Scrivener Projects, including the iOS version on an iPad Mini.

I tend to use GDocs pretty well for everything connected to my day job. But I use the Gdocs/Scrivener connection for fiction drafting and non-fiction.

In the past I would lug a MacBook and or my iPad into some shaky parts of the world and worry constantly about theft. Now, I have several refurbished Chromebooks bought cheaply and use them without a care.

I just consider Google Docs a down and dirty front line fighting writer's machine that is just a part of Scrivener.

Rick Grant
    Calgary

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    But there's so much you can do with Scrivener that you cannot with G-Docs.

https://danalatorre.com/2016/01/19/author-friends-dont-let-author-friends-drive-ms-word/

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
    • A writer writes
      • View Profile
      • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
    I don't see why people have to frame everything as a binary--gDocs OR Scrivener. I use both--as well as Word for final edits. It's all about picking the right tool for a given situation, and you can use as many tools as fit your needs. There's no reason to say you have to switch entirely from one to the other.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
    Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

Offline atree

• View Profile
    Scrivener is ok if you're on Mac. If you're on PC, you will be ripped off because they promise new version for several years now with no action. Some call it a fraud. A bait and switch.

Does Google Docs work? yes, I write 90% of my material on docs these days then format in Open Office and make the last tweaks in Callibre, or send it to a vellum formatter.

• North Philly
      • View Profile
      • Scott Marmorstein
    I guess I'm bi-platform.  ;D

I have a Macbook Air, but I'm often in situations where it's not ideal to lug it around. So Gdocs has been a nice go-between. BUT...when I'm at home, I'm still using Gdocs on my MBA. It's just strange to me, but maybe that's the wave of my future.

Offline D. A. J. F.

• View Profile
    Scrivener is ok if you're on Mac. If you're on PC, you will be ripped off because they promise new version for several years now with no action. Some call it a fraud. A bait and switch.

Does Google Docs work? yes, I write 90% of my material on docs these days then format in Open Office and make the last tweaks in Callibre, or send it to a vellum formatter.

Nice to know.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    I switched to Mac, and yes, Scrivener is better on the Mac.

I find great value in doing everything in Scrivener, from collecting ideas, plotting, and research to final formatting. I like to have everything in once place.

I can create a Bookfunnel PDF, ePub, MOBI, DOCX proof, and paperback files in about a minute.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Rhett Gervais

• Montreal, Canada
      • View Profile
    I use google docs all the way for first drafts. I tend to write in lost of different places, sometimes on my phone. Being able to jump in where I left off anytime and where is a life saver. (Did it once at a bad party, got 500 words in!)

I do use word for editing and proof reading, vellum for formatting, but nothing works better than Google docs for belting out ideas.

Offline MaxDaemon

• View Profile
      • Electrik Ink
    I do use word for editing and proof reading, vellum for formatting, but nothing works better than Google docs for belting out ideas.

Yea, I write everything all over the place in Google, then once it's done I grab it off and start working on it in Word. It never hits Google again, after that.

I have a copy of Scrivener, but it seems to want me to do more than I'm ready to do.

"Plans? We don't need no steenkin' plans."

V.R. Tapscott | Electrik Ink

Offline QuickiePress

• View Profile
      • Jennifer Grey Books
    I like gdocs for just plain writing. I do wish there was a way to export to .doc, the old Word format, useful for Smashwords. I've also been considering Scrivener, on a free trial now. But like many posters here, I find my pixelbook and the portability of gdocs to be invaluable. I am probably going to break down and pay for Word as well, though I definitely won't use it for drafting. It thinks it knows better than me what I want, but it doesn't. It takes a lot of time to undo what Word does automatically.

Offline Corvid

• View Profile
    Me and G-docs dated for a while before I went ahead and moved in (got a Chromebook). So far so good.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • I write high octane thrillers.
      • View Profile
      • High-Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
    I might have failed to mention that I download the final copy in Word, and import to Vellum for output. :)

I do the same. Once I'm done with the draft, I compile it out of Scrivener because editors and proofreaders use Word. Then I just stay in Word and use Vellum. Then I started to import the edited word doc into Google docs and it's perfect. All the comments, track changes it's all imported into Google docs.

I've also been using Google docs for my outline. So gdocs keeps tempting me further away from Scrivener but I haven't gotten as far as you have...yet.  ;D
    Alan Petersen - High-Octane Thrillers -  Author Interview Podcast

• North Philly
      • View Profile
      • Scott Marmorstein
    I do the same. Once I'm done with the draft, I compile it out of Scrivener because editors and proofreaders use Word. Then I just stay in Word and use Vellum. Then I started to import the edited word doc into Google docs and it's perfect. All the comments, track changes it's all imported into Google docs.

I've also been using Google docs for my outline. So gdocs keeps tempting me further away from Scrivener but I haven't gotten as far as you have...yet.  ;D

I mean, I'm not saying I'm into polygamy for software or anything, but...kinda. I still love Scrivener, but it's not always with me. Gdocs follows me everywhere without any sense of interruption. 

Offline DCRWrites

• A writer writes
      • View Profile

I'm still on Scrivener 2 and swear by it. One big advantage I've found is that like gDocs it's multiplatform. I have Scrivener on two Macs, two PCs, an iPad, and an iPhone. It offers more of the features that I use than gDocs so it's worth it for me.

I also really like yWriter, but it doesn't offer a Mac version which is a problem for me.

Offline johannesrexx

• View Profile
    You like yWriter? Then there is good news. There is an Alpha version for the Mac recently available. Check out http://www.spacejock.com/yWriterMac.html   :)
    Freedom matters. Use open source software.

Offline DCRWrites

• A writer writes
      • View Profile
    You like yWriter? Then there is good news. There is an Alpha version for the Mac recently available. Check out http://www.spacejock.com/yWriterMac.html   :)

Cool, I'll have to check it out-- but as I've been on Scrivener for nine years now I'm not sure yWriter can pull me back into its clutches.

Offline D. A. J. F.

• View Profile
    Google Docs is free so I would use that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement