Author Topic: Time Remaining in Chapter...  (Read 751 times)  

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
Time Remaining in Chapter...
« on: December 15, 2019, 05:39:44 am »
Hi all! I upgraded to the new Oasis 3 from my Oasis 2 a couple months ago and so far its been great!!! I love the blue light filter and the option that lets the light automatically turn lower as time goes by and your eyes start to adjust to darker situations... I also love having the auto brightness and ability to set a schedule for the level of the filter for a better night-time reading experience. Its so customizable! I have mine set up just to my liking and am very pleased with the settings...

The reason Im starting this thread though is that Im having an issue with the time-remaining indicator for chapters in the bottom left corner when inside a book. Heres the problem:

At first when the Oasis is learning your reading speed it indicates that thats what its doing. But once mine learned my speed I found its different depending on the book Im reading...

Im currently reading two books: the first is a novel that is of normal length. About 400 pages. The second is a collection of 4 books all stuffed into one book/collection of about 800 pages... and there it seems is where the problem is arising....

When in the collection, each time I turn a page the time-remaining meter elapses by about 2 to 3 minutes which I believe to be accurate. (I know, I read kind of slowly and also Im using a small font). But in the normal length book each page only registers about a minute less for each page... if that.... sometimes it doesnt even change so I think its a little less than a minute per page. I do not read THAT fast! Thats for certain. I wonder why this inaccuracy is occurring and since I usually read normal sized books as opposed to collections it would be better for me to have a more accurate estimate with those but in my case its flipped. The accurate estimate is in collections it would seem.

So all that is really just to ask, is there a way to force the Oasis to re-learn your reading speed on a per book basis (like each time I switch books) so i get an accurate estimate? I tried tapping on the time-remaining and it just changes from chapter to book and then nothing... tap again and its back to chapter but does not reset the amount of time-left indicator... at this point Im considering just turning off the function all together as an inaccurate estimate is actually worse than none at all, but Id rather not have to do that...

Thanks in advance for any input you might be able to give on this matter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Time Remaining in Chapter...
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:24:19 am »
    I have also noticed that it seems to differ a bit between books .. at least when I first switch from one to the other. But it seems to correct itself fairly quickly.

Also keep in mind that if you leave a book open on a page for a while without changing, that's going to affect reading speed. So if, like me, you're reading and get interrupted, maybe even put the book down without closing the cover and it goes to sleep on its own, all that is going to make a difference.

There IS a way to reset the reading speed:

While in a book do a search. Enter  ;ReadingTimeReset      **** enter it exactly that way including the semi colon and case sensitive, no spaces

It will come back with zero results, of course, but then when you go back to the book, you'll see at the lower left that it is 'learning reading speed'. So read normally and it should sort itself out.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 06:35:27 am »
    WOW!!! Thanks Ann!! That worked!! I honestly wasn't expecting that there was any way to do it... But that worked. It says "learning reading speed". thanks again!!! [emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 09:10:42 am »
    I have a few Kindles and I also use the Kindle app on my phone and I've noticed that the estimates are different when I change devices; sometimes drastically different.

I've found that overall the time estimates are fairly inaccurate.  I'm glad they're there and I use them and I don't really care that they're not very accurate.  It gives me an idea if I'm getting near the end of the chapter, in which case I'll read a bit longer to finish at the end of the chapter, and that's probably 90% of what I want from it.

I wonder if the differences are something in the Kindle itself or something about me and the way I read.  I'm a fairly slow reader and I often look things up as I read, using the dictionary or Wikipedia, and I have no idea how that affects the estimates.  Other times I'll re-read a paragraph because I feel I might have missed something or just because I enjoyed it and want to read it again.  Maybe if I was a more stable reader the estimates would be better.  Maybe not.

Accurate or not I still find them useful.

When I read with Moon+ on my phone it uses a different method: it tells me how many screens full of text are in the chapter and how many I've read.  This is considerably more accurate and also more intuitive, I think.  But either one works.

Barry

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:29:00 am »
    Yeah, I agree that exact accuracy is not necessary and probably would be impossible to achieve but the less than a minute per page was way too fast for me. For example: if it said 10 minutes left in chapter, it was still taking me about a half hour to finish the chapter. Thats WAY off!! And thats the kind of situation I was dealing with... luckily Anns solution worked perfectly. I will probably still have to adjust it each time I switch books but its great to know that I can and I plan to to do so to get the closest to an accurate estimate as possible.

I should probably be trying to stick to one book at a time anyway though, cause if I do Ill probably complete a lot more books that way as opposed to always being in the middle of lots of books.

But anyway, if nothing else, its at least a good trick to know about if I find the need to reset the reading speed. My kindle had been on that inaccurate speed for awhile and it was driving me crazy! Lol!!

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 12:40:08 pm »
    I don't really know how the timing in the Kindle works but as a programmer I like to speculate.  Well, guess is probably more like what I do, but it's fun.  If I was writing the code to estimate reading times (not that I ever did anything like that) I would  probably look at average reading times per page and not include in the average any pages that were far longer or shorter than the average.  If a page with a normal number of words takes a lot longer it's likely something external is affecting it.  If it was a lot shorter probably that page was skipped, in whole or part.

My guess, and it's only that, is that the Kindle firmware programmers do something like that.  And I would think they would probably maintain accumulators for each book, since each book will be read at a different rate.  My last book was an 87th Precinct book which I read very quickly.  The book before that was a historical novel where the author used a lot of 17th century phrasing and vocabulary.  The historical novel was just about twice as long but took at least 4 times as long to read.

I do only read one book at a time.  I can't imagine starting another book before I finish the current book.  In the past when I read more non-fiction than I do now I'd sometimes read a non-fiction book at the same time I read a novel, but even that was kind of distracting.  These days I'll sometimes read a short story while I'm in the middle of a novel but I usually save the short stories for between books.

If I was reading two novels how would I ever decide which one to read?  Either one would make me feel like I was neglecting the other one.  I'd be overwhelmed with guilt. :)

Barry

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 12:57:55 pm »
    I'm trying very hard lately to read as few books at a time as possible, not because I get confused, cause I usually don't, but just because like you said, I feel like I'm neglecting the other books and it's very hard deciding which to read at any given time. There's just so much good stuff out there to read! I'm getting better at it though. I'm in the middle of many books but am mainly sticking to 2 or 3 main ones on a daily basis, if that. They are my main reads at the moment. It does make completing them take a lot longer though. For me it takes discipline to stick to one book from cover to cover without switching it up in between. But I have done it on occasion...

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 01:07:52 pm »
    The reading time reset works fantastic. Thanks Ann for posting it again as I forget the exact wording now that I have a new kindle again. I try to keep it in the saved searches on the device. I find that because I put my kindle down here and there and for whatever reasons, every few months or so I have to reset it. Lately I have come to like the setting where  only the percentage is shown. No page, no number, no time left. Just the percentage on right, nothing on left. I really would like my progress bar left but alas.

I usually read only one book at a time. At most 2. When I have 2 its one for normal and the 2nd for the few minutes before I fall asleep. Sometimes I need something lighter than as my brain is slowing down.  ;D. But I am more of a one after the other type reading. Point a-z. Just like I need to read everything in order. And I  mean "everything".  8)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 06:59:41 pm »
    I'm trying very hard lately to read as few books at a time as possible

I hope you don't think I was criticizing the way you read.  I was just making conversation and talking about what I do.  Reading is pretty personal stuff and we all should do it in the way we choose for ourselves.

Barry

Offline quadtronix

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 03:44:41 am »
    No, I didnt take it as a criticism. Dont worry. I do think its better not to be in the middle of too many books though. Its a fact that that makes them take longer to complete. For me it just lets me get some variety while savoring the books I love for a little while longer, but I do think theres something to be said for sticking with one book at a time. [emoji3]

KBoards.com

• Advertisement