Author Topic: Any Kindle covers that protect the "off" button?  (Read 907 times)  

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
    • View Profile
Any Kindle covers that protect the "off" button?
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:24:03 am »
The way I hold my Kindle Paperwhite, I have to be careful to avoid the power button, or I will accidentally shut the darn thing off.   :'(   It is really the only thing about the design that I dislike.

Have any of you found a cover (or anything) that protects the switch?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Any Kindle covers that protect the "off" button?
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 11:49:33 am »
    I don't have an answer to that but if you have the new Paperwhite one possible solution might be to read in landscape mode.  Personally I wouldn't want to do that because i like a narrow column of text but most people like wide lines so that might work for you.  It would keep the power switch off the bottom.

You can change to landscape while in a book by going to page settings and using the orientation option.

Barry

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:48:56 pm »
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for that suggestion! I may give it a try. I didn't know I could do that.

I was also considering taking a length of rubber tubing (automotive fuel line would work) as long as the bottom edge and slitting it down the whole side, then sliding it onto the bottom. My hand would then rest against the rubber tube and the switch would be protected. Of course, I would have to take it off to charge or if I needed the switch to reboot or something, but it would be easy enough. My cover takes care of off and on duties.

Bob

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 01:50:53 pm »
    Is your Kindle still in warranty?  I've had a lot of Kindles over the years.  I have 7 of them right now.  None of them ever turned off when I was reading or even when I propped it up on a table, where it rests on the bottom.  If it's turning off a lot and it's still in warranty you might look into getting a replacement.

Barry

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:35:40 am »
    The tubing idea sounds pretty good, but another option you might try is putting the Kindle into the cover "backwards" or "upside down." Hopefully the cover wouldn't press the power button in that position. You'd have to get used to opening the cover in the "wrong" direction, and would have to take the cover off to charge the Kindle, same as your tubing idea, but it could be worth a try.

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 06:31:17 am »
    The tubing idea sounds pretty good, but another option you might try is putting the Kindle into the cover "backwards" or "upside down." Hopefully the cover wouldn't press the power button in that position. You'd have to get used to opening the cover in the "wrong" direction, and would have to take the cover off to charge the Kindle, same as your tubing idea, but it could be worth a try.

Thanks, Gbear, I will experiment with the cover. It is my hand that is the culprit, though. If I could invert the page in portrait mode so the switch was on the top edge, I would be all set.

Quote from: Barry
    Is your Kindle still in warranty?  I've had a lot of Kindles over the years.  I have 7 of them right now.  None of them ever turned off when I was reading or even when I propped it up on a table, where it rests on the bottom.  If it's turning off a lot and it's still in warranty you might look into getting a replacement.

Not sure about warranty, will check. So, the way it happens is that the bottom edge of the Kindle is resting on my hand.  If I allow myself to support it where the switch is, the weight of the Kindle is enough to depress the switch against my hand and shut off the screen.
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:34:19 am by Emoto »

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 08:47:20 am »
    That's why I wondered about the warranty.  Mine rests on my hand all the time.  The switch on all of them has always been very stiff so it never turns off accidentally.  I also will read while brushing my teeth and I prop the Kindle on my toothbrush holder to read so the button is sitting on a hard surface and yet it's never turned off.

Since my first Kindle, a Kindle Keyboard, I've probably had 15 Kindles.  I haven't had a problem with any of them.

Barry

Offline jake86us

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 05:22:05 pm »
    The way I hold my Kindle Paperwhite, I have to be careful to avoid the power button, or I will accidentally shut the darn thing off.   :'(   It is really the only thing about the design that I dislike.

Have any of you found a cover (or anything) that protects the switch?

Yeah I wish Amazon would put the wake/sleep button on top and to the right, like on Apple's Ipad minis.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 09:10:25 am »
    I have the voyage with the origami cover and I have a new paper white. But I use the voyage way more because of the cover. It covers the power button. I turn off my paper white accidentally several times a reading session and find it highly annoying.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Emoto

• SE MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 01:40:33 pm »
    I have the voyage with the origami cover and I have a new paper white. But I use the voyage way more because of the cover. It covers the power button. I turn off my paper white accidentally several times a reading session and find it highly annoying.

Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad I am not the only one.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement