Author Topic: A quick review of the new Push-To-Kindle updated 2.1 pay to play service...  (Read 997 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Don't work for them. Just a Kindle fan:

For those of you that like to read articles on your Kindles, sure many of you have been using the Chrome/Firefox/Opera plugin for Push-To-Kindle (by FiveFilters) which sends articles right to your Kindle. This service for years has been incredibly useful (as I hate to read anything longform on my computers or ipads/non e-ink tablets) I almost always run into a long article or four before leaving work and don't want to stay at work a second longer staring at a computer so I just click click click them into my Kindle and go. Great for subway rides.

The one very annoying achilles heel this darn thing has had for years is that it cuts out an immense amount of article content like Salon or certain newspaper sites *especially those of you who have subscriptions (for me for example, ESPN+, Medium and TheAthletic.com). In particular theathletic.com, these articles are written by great writers but if you sent it to push-to-kindle in the past, you'd get the first paragraph of the article and nothing more. And to be fair, Kobo's amazing Pocket integration does the same darn thing to many articles.

The good news (and didn't know the beta has been live for two months now): They've updated the way in which content gets pushed including via paywalls (very interesting aggregration. Paywall, javascript, content scraping, what?):
https://www.patreon.com/posts/push-to-kindle-2-31045662

Anyhow, the big test is sending a few longform articles to see how the new 2.0 push handles. And to my pleasant surprise, the push works like a champ. The. Whole. Article. Instantly.

The bad news: It's a dollar a month which ultimately is a tiny fee (12 bucks a year) to have all my longform content pushed perfectly to my Kindle with the entire article intact. For those of you who have a spare Kindle laying around (many of you on this board), may I suggest turning it into a jam packed article reader you keep by the kitchen for your morning coffee. I have an old baby Kindle I have nothing on but articles to read for the month.

As a nice batch to send to your Kindle: A nice reading offering (80 articles curated by Medium). Their best articles in Human Parts on family, love, relationships, sex, dying, existence, being human:

https://humanparts.medium.com/the-year-in-being-human-fe2daa2f4ce8

As for the Push-To-Kindle, hope this helps some of you who have had the same problem in the past but weren't sure to throw a dollar into the web universe. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:06:13 am by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    I use the free version of push to kindle ... have never had a problem with articles not showing up complete, but I don't read too much from paywalled sites. I did see the notice of the beta of version 2.0. Haven't seen the need to bother with it as what I have works fine for me.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online barryem

• View Profile
    This is the first I've hear of Push to Kindle.  Is it anything like Send to Kindle, provided by Amazon?  I've used that for a few years with no problems.

Barry

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    It's the same thing as Send to Kindle but a third party developed it. For me, it works better. I had issues with Send to Kindle for Firefox because as the browser version increased, it no longer worked. I still use Send to Kindle with files on my computer, except PDFs which have to be sent via email or they won't convert.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Kindleing

• View Profile
    Chrome/Firefox/Opera plugin for Push-To-Kindle (by FiveFilters) which sends articles right to your Kindle. This service for years has been incredibly useful

How does it handle in-line images/illustrations?  And what about side-bar advertising or columns; does all that come down with the text?  I haven't tried any Send-to-Kindle stuff so I don't know how readable the actual content is on the small screen.

Thanks.
    Kindle 3 WiFi & Kindle FireHD 8.9

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    With the version I use, images are there. It might depend on the source but I don't see advertisements per se. But periodically there'll be a random "Advertisement here" sentence between paragraphs. And 'pull out' quote that some mags put as side bars do show up which means you read some of those things twice and it's not always easy to tell which version was in the flow of the article since, unlike the print or even on line version, there is no typeface change to indicate something like that.

That said, I'm not reading deep, important stuff, so it doesn't bother me too much. BUT, if that sort of thing is gone in this very moderately priced paid version, I might consider it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Maura

• View Profile
    I read a lot of news articles from sites like Real Clear Politics and more and more of them either require using a browser without ad blocking (and the articles with the ads are so irritating they're almost not worth accessing) or are behind paywalls. I'm not going to subscribe to a dozen newspapers every year just to read an article from each one every couple of days and have often wished for a central site one could subscribe to which would distribute part of user payments to each of these sites and make them available. If this Push to Kindle does that, I'll happily pay $12 a year, but it will depend on whether it makes the paywalled sites I'm interested in available. Will have to investigate.

Online barryem

• View Profile
    If you want to read magazine and newspaper articles and have Calibre installed it'll get them for you.  Look for the Fetch News item on the main toolbar.  It's there by default.

You pick a language such as English and that, on mine, gives me 470 magazines and newspapers to select from.  Or you can add your own if it's not on the list.  I have no idea where it gets these but in general Calibre is a legal app and it's been doing this for a long time so I assume this is somehow legal.  What it gives is a mobi file containing the table of contents and full text of all the articles.  Only a few images and no ads are included.

I have Calibre set with mobi as the default format.  I think if you set epub as your default that's what the magazines come in.  In any case it's trivial to convert to the other format.

I don't read a lot of magazines but I do read occasional articles and I've been doing this for quite a few years.  I do get the New Yorker delivered every issue automatically by Calibre because it's usually got something I want to read.  I do wish it had more of the cartoons.  There's usually one per issue, sometimes two.  Actually there might be more but I almost never read through it.  Maybe I need to try that.

Barry

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    I tried a few of them Barry and this was the one that really worked well. I use it with Chrome and its basically just a little button extension that sits at the top of the browser in a little book icon. When you see an article you like you just click it and it goes to a prompt on where you want it send (which you then just type in your Kindle address). Its really served me well over the years.

Kindling: Part of its charm is that it cuts out the ads (and just leaves the cover photo. Or in the case of lets say an article with a lot of pics throughout, it keeps them *a NYtimes article, for example). It sounds as though the new beta only currently supports Chrome and maybe Firefox.

Maura: Too true. Too true. Do you notice that content is becoming more and more curated with good long form being sectioned into pay to play walls. Hate it but understand. I pay for The NY Times, the Athletic and Medium as I enjoy their articles. I do find myself often wanting to a read an article that is from Washington Post and paywalled. Makes sense that good business and political articles are being paywalled by their companies. I cant imagine what the web is going to look like in a decade with paywalls everywhere.

Ann: Good point. I think for most, the free plugin does the trick. Id suggest to people interested to use the free and see if there are articles being cut short for the specific stuff youre reading. If yes, then consider the 1dollar a month. If not, free plugins are perfect.

Barryem: Calibre magazine feature is awesome. But I find myself only wanting specific articles from specific sites which makes the send-to-Kindle plug in a good one. Whenever I fly though, a half dozen magazines from Calibre hits the spot. 

This is the first I've hear of Push to Kindle.  Is it anything like Send to Kindle, provided by Amazon?  I've used that for a few years with no problems.

Barry

Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Online barryem

• View Profile
    I hope the internet doesn't turn into a lot of paywalls.  I guess it could happen.  I have a Washington Post subscription but I have the same problem you have with the post when I look at NY Times articles.  I have found that on the NY Times site when I've read more than my limit for the month (10, I think) I can send it to Pocket even when it won't let me in and read the article on Pocket on either my laptop or my Kobo, which has a Pocket reader built-in.

I remember a long time ago people on the internet used to predict that it would someday become commercial.  I didn't believe it.  Could I have been wrong? :)

All of a sudden the world has become polarized far more than it ever was.  Not just the USA but everywhere.  I can't help but wonder if the problem is that social media and democracy are incompatible.  If that's true and studies confirm it that could lead to the internet becoming far less commercial.  It's advertising that drives social media and the best way to sell advertising is to keep people stirred up.  Of course advertising is important so maybe we'll just have to give up democracy. :)

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement