Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

So What Are you Reading in 2020?

29K views 171 replies 24 participants last post by  H7Py49 
#1 ·
#10 ·

Field Gray, by Philip Kerr

I've seen this series mentioned here over the years, but never read one. The series is about a German policeman who does not like Hitler or the Nazis during the years before, during, and after World War II as he does what he needs to survive and not feel horrified by what he does. So far I'm liking it, though I don't find it gripping.

#12 ·

Daughters of Twilight

The special tactical teams had been trained for normal encounters with flesh and blood… not supernatural beings. A quiet little city in the Midwest town of Waterloo, Iowa is about to come to life… with angels! When an earthquake measuring seven hits Waterloo, a huge black pyramid shaped tower pushes it's way up through a corn field in Blackhawk County spinning the city into the national spot light. It's thought that the "Black Tower" is dormant, but when special tactical teams are sent inside to investigate, special team member Dane Coles is confronted by the impossible…a beautiful creature that has been cursed and cast down into oblivion within the Garden of Eden, using the 'Black Tower' as a doorway to the surface…

#15 ·
The Hooded Claw said:

Field Gray, by Philip Kerr

I've seen this series mentioned here over the years, but never read one. The series is about a German policeman who does not like Hitler or the Nazis during the years before, during, and after World War II as he does what he needs to survive and not feel horrified by what he does. So far I'm liking it, though I don't find it gripping.
I've been reading Philip Kerr on and off for a few years. I really like him. Well, mostly the background and famous people he intergrates into the stories (albeit, sometimes stretching how they relate to the story). As a person who is intrigued by the Weimar Republic and the political and social conditions in Germany between the wars, this fits nicely into my reading interests.

#17 ·
I haven't posted in this thread--until now, that is. But better late than never.

Just picked up two books last week:

Fiction: Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice. It has been remarkable so far. It's amazing how he can mesh insights about life with the seeming improbabilities of his settings, not to mention the difficulty of the subjects he opts to write about. No one goes back in time so much with a firm foot planted in the zeitgeist; he also does the inverse, and it all feels organic. At its best, the book is enjoyable, sad, and rewarding at the same time.

Non Fiction: Seeds and Backman's Horizons: Exploring the Universe. Combines epistemology and metaphysics with intro-level astronomy. Although it focuses mainly on what makes astronomical knowledge possible and the aspects that constitute the "astronomical method" as opposed to focusing on "knowledge in itself." Nonetheless, terribly interesting for a layman such as yours truly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.