Author Topic: Amazon first reads -- January 2020  (Read 599 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Amazon first reads -- January 2020
« on: January 01, 2020, 04:14:30 am »
Amazon First Reads

Looks like we get to pick 2 this month.

Psychological Thriller:   Blurb doesn't grab me; I'm not in the mood for 'disturbing'.

Contemporary Fiction:   Looks like a "love at last" type romance.

Suspense:   She's 'tortured' and feeling 'trapped'. Can't we just have a cozy mystery?

Domestic Suspense:   This one looks promising -- 20 year old mystery now current again.

Nonfiction:   Meh. I don't read much nonfiction and this one doesn't appeal.

Thriller:   A spy novel. Maybe. I think this author has been featured before.

Historical Fiction:   NOT WWII. Rather, a post WWI suspense/romance, it looks like.

Children's Picture Book:  

Once again nothing that leaps out and says "Pick Me!" though one or two possibles.
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Re: Amazon first reads -- January 2020
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 07:39:16 am »
    Identical choices this month in the UK.

Two freebies available this month, but I don't much like the look of any of them. Doom and gloom seems to be the overall theme this month. The main impression I came away with after reading the synopses was ... depressing.

Linda

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 09:07:28 am »
    Well, the Hugs book looks pretty comforting. I may add (again) to my kid-lit-stash for some future (improbable) kid-visitor. :-)

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 09:39:31 am »
    Does anyone know how these are selected.  When I look at these selections month after month, and find not much of interest - occasionally one, maybe ... even FREE, it makes me wonder who picks.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 10:44:49 am »
    Wow, we can pick two and there are actually two I want (at first glance, anyway) - the Contemporary Fiction and the Nonfiction.

It's a miracle!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:30:37 am »
    Identical choices this month in the UK.

Two freebies available this month, but I don't much like the look of any of them. Doom and gloom seems to be the overall theme this month. The main impression I came away with after reading the synopses was ... depressing.

Yeah. Kind of how I feel, too. I guess that's what's "in" currently, but I'm really over it.

Ah well, I have so much to read already that really it's probably better I don't get anything more ....... ::) :P ;D

Wow, we can pick two and there are actually two I want (at first glance, anyway) - the Contemporary Fiction and the Nonfiction.

It's a miracle!

Oh Good! I'm glad the selections appeal to someone anyway!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 07:50:08 am »
    Does anyone know how these are selected.  When I look at these selections month after month, and find not much of interest - occasionally one, maybe ... even FREE, it makes me wonder who picks.

I don't know how; but my guess is that it's less that Amazon "picks" them than that authors/publishers submit them in the hopes of getting more notice/reviews and thus increasing overall sales of their titles -- essentially making these titles "loss leaders" for a month with the hope of ultimately greater profits in the long term.

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:27:40 am »
    I don't know how; but my guess is that it's less that Amazon "picks" them than that authors/publishers submit them in the hopes of getting more notice/reviews and thus increasing overall sales of their titles -- essentially making these titles "loss leaders" for a month with the hope of ultimately greater profits in the long term.

I think you're right - or maybe Amz randomly selects.  Sounds more like random to me, because most seem less worthy of a read, and many of us on here think the same way.  Readers stating they don't see anything they like, month after month including myself.

I was hoping someone knows of a submission site, or whatever.  Even a freebie would get some follow thru ... as that's such a focused outlet.   

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 08:46:06 am »
    I think Amazon publishing submission editors pick them. Or whatever they are called. I also think they are picked months ahead of time to give them a head start. For a long time now they seem to always be the same type novels. Gloom and doom, psycho thriller, usually some WWII, which I guess now we'll switch to WWI. Maybe we'll work our way backwards to some revolutionary wars  ;D
    But the thriller type always have the same type look and I guess that is what is popular out there in the main market.

I don't think they have an editor for quirky and just fun or adventure type books. No romance or cozy appear either.

Must be working for them as they haven't much changed their type of books/genres.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
    I think you're right - or maybe Amz randomly selects.  Sounds more like random to me, because most seem less worthy of a read, and many of us on here think the same way.  Readers stating they don't see anything they like, month after month including myself.

I was hoping someone knows of a submission site, or whatever.  Even a freebie would get some follow thru ... as that's such a focused outlet.   

Except a lot of people apparently choose them ... and in most cases the reviews are completely respectable. I just looked at the Dec selections and they all have at least 150 reviews (except the kids book) and are all rated at least 4 stars over all. So I feel like maybe those of us here are not typical.

It does seem the books are generally Amazon imprints. My guess is there's some sort of criteria the editorial board use to decide what books are in this program. It might even be something based on sales forecasts so that, in fact, they pick the ones they feel are most in need of an extra boost.

Which also might explain why there's never 'normal' romance, cozy mystery, etc.: those things all sell just fine without any extra push. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01:03 am »
    Aren't they always all amazon imprints? Has there been a non apub book featured? I'll have to go back to the threads to see.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 10:35:07 am »
    Aren't they always all amazon imprints? Has there been a non apub book featured? I'll have to go back to the threads to see.

There was one by Patricia Cornwell a couple of months ago -- a 'big name' author. I actually got it because I'd heard of her and liked her previous work. This one was nothing like it and I couldn't even finish it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 10:36:42 am »
    There was one by Patricia Cornwell a couple of months ago -- a 'big name' author. I actually got it because I'd heard of her and liked her previous work. This one was nothing like it and I couldn't even finish it.
    That is published by Thomas and Mercer, a amazon publishing company. Quantum is the book, right?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 12:09:04 pm »
    That is published by Thomas and Mercer, a amazon publishing company. Quantum is the book, right?

ah! O.K. then .... still an amazon imprint!

FWIW, the reviews on it were pretty bad ..... was a First read for September, officially released October, and even now with over 3700 ratings it's not even a full 3 stars! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:22 pm »
    One has to wonder what the difference is. Is it the editing on her amazon imprint title, did they ask her to write some different way? Is there a cliffhanger and previous series don't have it? Just weird.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 07:10:34 pm »
    One has to wonder what the difference is. Is it the editing on her amazon imprint title, did they ask her to write some different way? Is there a cliffhanger and previous series don't have it? Just weird.

I think it's just a different style. Science Fiction vs Forensic murder mystery. And I had the impression that it's meant to be HUGE in scope, which requires a lot of exposition to start with. Which can be boring. And many reviewers mentioned that it just ended without much resolving anything. So sort of a cliffhanger but not one even very well done. I got it that month and tried to read it and, though it started off well, it quickly moved to incredibly dull with a sort of first person narrator who was totally annoying. Gave up at about 30%.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement