Author Topic: Any Teen and YA Fantasy / Dark Fantasy / Fairytale Authors?  (Read 324 times)  

Offline Story Wrappers - KD

• View Profile
Any Teen and YA Fantasy / Dark Fantasy / Fairytale Authors?
« on: January 03, 2020, 08:02:29 am »
Hi! I'd love to know if you have any insight on the genre and what it was like for ad spending, readers, etc. It seems like a tough genre, but one I would love to eventually write within. Thanks!

Custom Book Design and Premade Covers
Contact Me: [email protected] | Storywrappers.com | Instagram

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    Re: Any Teen and YA Fantasy / Dark Fantasy / Fairytale Authors?
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 03:08:22 pm »
    YA fantasy writer here, in the pen name Christy J. Breedlove. I've received awards, tons of ink, great reviews, interviews and guest posts all over and sundry. I'm leading the pack in my publisher's list. However, sales are really tough and my higher prices for my books flunked out with seven major paid ads under the Young Adult and Fantasy category and genre. I'm now down to Kindle Unlimited and .99 cents, but sales are still rather stagnant.  It is a tougher genre than I imagined it would be. My adult SF went much better. But this latest YA fantasy release is gaining momentum. My publisher has now decided to take out Amazon ads on my book, but I don't know which ones she will be using. I would like to apply for BookBub and give that a whirl, since the ROI has been said to be satisfactory and above.
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline Story Wrappers - KD

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »
    Yes, from what I see it's going to be really tough. It's what I love to read, so I want to write within it... but it seems quite hard! *mentally gears up lol*

Custom Book Design and Premade Covers
    Contact Me: [email protected] | Storywrappers.com | Instagram

Offline ScottThrower

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 03:33:04 am »
    Fairy tales here. Unless you're doing retellings/romance, it's not an easy genre to crack. If I didn't have the platform from my fairy tale podcast to sell my fairy tale books, I don't think it would be profitable.

Scott Thrower

Offline dawillson

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 07:44:53 am »
    Yes, it's a tough genre; the competition seems to be cranking out new books daily.  Still, if it's what you love to read, it's probably where you have the most ideas on what to write.  My advice is to be willing to invest as much time and energy into your work as a new business owner invests into a business.  You should work on a novel like it's your job and insist on original, interesting writing.  The genre is packed with similar protagonists, cookie-cutter secondary characters and predictable plots.  Be different, stand out, and you'll produce something to be proud of.

Good luck!

Online Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:04:17 am »
    I write fairytales because I enjoy them.  They're not all I write, but they are fun!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline Loelia

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:39:36 am »
    *raises hand* Here's another one, though I've never published anything yet, so I don't really have a useful perspective to offer. This is why I'm lurking here, imbibing information and experiences, and looking for brave souls who may have travelled a similar road I'd like to follow.

I write a mix of historical fantasy, horror, and epic fantasy, with romantic elements; I also like coming-of-age stories, so in theory I would assume my stuff would be a fairly natural fit for the YA and/or New Adult dark fantasy categories. In practice, though, finding my place is a lot harder, and I'm mentally torn in two directions. I can't escape the sneaking suspicion that the kind of books I write would do better in trad publishing, but I'm personally more drawn to the self-publishing side because of the creative control and all the exciting creative decisions that go into it. I'm also increasingly disillusioned with the toxicity of the trad YA community on social media, both as a reader and as an outsider writer looking in. It gives me anxiety even as a complete outsider, and makes me want to park my stuff in New Adult instead.

This is so frustrating to me because I've been an aimless hobbyist writer for so long that I'd finally - finally - like to be able to make a proper business plan for a writing career. To be able to tell myself, write this, do this, go from A to B to C and see how it goes. But I feel like I'm lost without a map. I've read, listened, and analysed enough about self-publishing to know what I'd do and where I'd start if I were writing category romance, for example. But I've tried writing something more 'romance-y' and it doesn't work: what starts out as a romance picks up elements of psychological horror and Mediaeval politics along the way until the end result is an abomination. A fun abomination, in my own opinion, but still something that's not going to fit comfortably in any 'viable niche for self-publishing success' box.

Of course, it's also possible I may have been reading and analysing too much, and lost all perspective on the business. Analysis paralysis, and all that.

Online Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 10:55:20 am »
    *raises hand* Here's another one, though I've never published anything yet, so I don't really have a useful perspective to offer. This is why I'm lurking here, imbibing information and experiences, and looking for brave souls who may have travelled a similar road I'd like to follow.

I write a mix of historical fantasy, horror, and epic fantasy, with romantic elements; I also like coming-of-age stories, so in theory I would assume my stuff would be a fairly natural fit for the YA and/or New Adult dark fantasy categories. In practice, though, finding my place is a lot harder, and I'm mentally torn in two directions. I can't escape the sneaking suspicion that the kind of books I write would do better in trad publishing, but I'm personally more drawn to the self-publishing side because of the creative control and all the exciting creative decisions that go into it. I'm also increasingly disillusioned with the toxicity of the trad YA community on social media, both as a reader and as an outsider writer looking in. It gives me anxiety even as a complete outsider, and makes me want to park my stuff in New Adult instead.

This is so frustrating to me because I've been an aimless hobbyist writer for so long that I'd finally - finally - like to be able to make a proper business plan for a writing career. To be able to tell myself, write this, do this, go from A to B to C and see how it goes. But I feel like I'm lost without a map. I've read, listened, and analysed enough about self-publishing to know what I'd do and where I'd start if I were writing category romance, for example. But I've tried writing something more 'romance-y' and it doesn't work: what starts out as a romance picks up elements of psychological horror and Mediaeval politics along the way until the end result is an abomination. A fun abomination, in my own opinion, but still something that's not going to fit comfortably in any 'viable niche for self-publishing success' box.

Of course, it's also possible I may have been reading and analysing too much, and lost all perspective on the business. Analysis paralysis, and all that.

Swap horror for mystery/suspense...and we're in the same boat. LOL  I love self-publishing.  I think with a mix of genres, we just have to find our readers. 

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 11:55:35 am »
    teen is political
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures
    Adult Literary Science Fiction
    https://www.hostingauthors.com/books/RarityfromtheHollow

KBoards.com

• Advertisement