Author Topic: Do Others See My Goodreads Books Ratings?  (Read 326 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Do Others See My Goodreads Books Ratings?
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:56:26 am »
For years, I've been sharing my list of books I've read on Goodreads, sorted by rating (highest first), like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/30180169-al-macy?shelf=read&sort=rating&utf8=%E2%9C%93

However, today I viewed that page in a private window, and my ratings and reviews didn't appear. My questions:

1. Do you see my ratings and reviews?
2. If someone has a Goodreads account, does he or she see my ratings and reviews?
3. Is there a way to tell Goodreads to share my ratings?

Thanks,

Al

Al Macy | Web Site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline alhawke

• View Profile
      • A.L. Hawke website
    Re: Do Others See My Goodreads Books Ratings?
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:09:39 pm »
    I see general ratings, but not yours.

Maybe it's just a temporary glitch? All weekend none of the "currently reading", "added it", etc., members were showing up by my books. Now they're back up.

A.L. Hawke | Author website | Goodreads | BookBub

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 06:01:33 pm »
    Hmm. Maybe it's a privacy thing. For years I've sent people to my list, assuming they could see which books I liked. I'll wait and see if it changes.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 06:33:52 pm »
    I see ratings from within a private window in Firefox.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:01:23 pm »
    I no longer have a Goodreads account but I can see your list and ratings in Firefox.

EDITED - No, I can actually see only your list with general ratings.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:05:07 pm by anguabell »

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:23:48 pm »
    Maybe you need to click the "settings" option above the list to enable "rating"? It was on by default for me, but maybe it saves that setting in a HTTP "cookie" so it has it turned on be default for me. *shrug*

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:24:05 pm »
    I am a bit confused what you are asking. I have an GR account and I see your "read" shelf with your star ratings and if you have a text review I have a link to click that says "view"(with text). There are 600 books in your "read" shelf.

A "list" in goodreads is something different though. There are many lists folks compile for genres, tropes, etc. Anyone can vote on such lists for books.

If I wanted to share with folks what books I read and rated, I would link to the same shelf you did in your post. I don't have a list, I never created one. There are already many of those out there.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:59 pm »
    Thanks, Atunah, I now see that I was confused. The star display (column labelled "rating") show my rating. I was confused because there's another column called "my rating" with grayed-out stars. That's something that allows the person viewing the page to rate the book.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 02:48:49 pm »
    Thanks, Atunah, I now see that I was confused. The star display (column labelled "rating") show my rating. I was confused because there's another column called "my rating" with grayed-out stars. That's something that allows the person viewing the page to rate the book.
    that's right. I see your ratings as just "ratings" in red. And my ratings are either books I already rated, or I could do it there.I like the feature where you "compare books" with someone on goodreads. That is on that persons profile page. Then it takes mine and the person you looking at star ratings and gives a percentage of how our tastes match up. I use that to follow other reviewers.

I sometimes browse reviewers shelfves too, like I am looking at yours, and it can be interesting to see what we both rated on.

So I am guessing your link works as you want it too then? For folks to see what you read and what you rated and reviewed. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement