Author Topic: Beginning quilting (was Suggestions needed ...)  (Read 2036 times)  

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning quilting (was Suggestions needed ...)
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 09:02:34 am »
Spotsmom, by "recent purchases" I meant more than a month ago. Sorry for the confusion. I don't live near any quilt stores. Our local library is closed to the public, but they are doing "carry-out." The sign on the door a few days ago said to phone between 10am and 1 pm to request items to check out for pick up between 1 pm and 4:30 pm. Phone on arrival for delivery to your vehicle. I returned a book to the book drop but will only check out digital materials from them through their website until this is over. Mid February I checked out a copy of The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll to my Fire.

Thanks for suggesting Bluprint but my daughter signed us up for a year in December or January.

Our quilt stores are all closed also. I am in Washington state, so just about all our stores are closed. I am able to finish up a block of the month club queen sized quilt I have been working on for over a year. Just the handwork stitching on the binding left to go, but it is huge!

Annalog, even though you are signed up for Bluprint (formerly Craftsy), most of the classes you also have to pay for. They are offering all the classes free right now. There are some good deals. I am still working through a ByAnnie's Ultimate Travel Bag class, but am making slow progress. No need to hurry with it this month, however. I paid for it a long time ago.

My quilt/machine store is still open for sewing machine service with curbside pickup. It is such a relief to know that if my machine (Bernina) starts acting up, at least I can get it in for service. However, I have never had to take it in for service except for its yearly tune-up. One of my cutters is not working right now, but that is a small inconvenience that will get corrected at the next tune-up.

I had hoped all this time would get me to organize my sewing room, but that does not seem to be happening.

Annalog, how is the move going? Is it being delayed due to the virus? I wish you luck with the move. The house next door to me sold for full price overnight, so it looks like the real estate market is still going around here, in spite of what I read.

I miss my friends in the quilt stores. So hoping they can weather this.   Jane
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 10:56:42 am »
    Jane917, thanks, I didn't know about classes for purchase. That Ultimate Travel Bag class sounds interesting.

I got my craft room organized enough to be able to use my craft table for cutting. Mask sewing for the local hospital full steam ahead.

The move is on hold until the current situation is under control. We agree with our daughter that moving from our rural location to the Phoenix valley is a really bad idea at this time.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 07:49:20 am »
    Jane917, thanks, I didn't know about classes for purchase. That Ultimate Travel Bag class sounds interesting.

I got my craft room organized enough to be able to use my craft table for cutting. Mask sewing for the local hospital full steam ahead.

The move is on hold until the current situation is under control. We agree with our daughter that moving from our rural location to the Phoenix valley is a really bad idea at this time.

How nice you have room for a cutting table. I use my kitchen island for cutting. It is plenty big, but takes a while to get it cleared off.

I agree that moving would be difficult at this time. Just finding someone to help you move might be impossible.

The Ultimate Travel Bag is a product of By Annie's. You can buy all the items needed (a lot of hardware) from ByAnnie's. You also buy the directions. However, I got a half price deal a couple of years ago for the instructions and the video. My cost was less than the instructions alone. She has many many types of bags on her website. I am very slow going on this project, but it might be my next up to finish. I still have two sides of binding left on my queen sized quilt. I am using the Susan Schamber method of binding for the first time. It is working for me.

Stay safe and healthy.  Jane

Offline individ77

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 12:47:15 am »
    I also got quilting, but i also use vinyl cutter to make more abstractions and i am very impressed of what you can do, if you need one you may also read here a buying guide soon i will show you what you can do

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 07:31:53 am »
    I also got quilting, but i also use vinyl cutter to make more abstractions and i am very impressed of what you can do, if you need one you may also read here a buying guide soon i will show you what you can do

Cutting out is not my issue. With my large mat and several rotary cutters, I get the job done. Not sure what I would do with a vinyl cutter.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 01:30:39 pm »
    What with mask making and other life issues, I haven't been working on quilting, other than watching videos and dreaming, until yesterday. My sister is dog sitting for her son's family who is in the middle of remodeling a house with no fenced yard yet and lots of nearby coyotes. I decided to make some dog blankets to protect the areas of my sister's carpeting where the dog likes to sleep.

I bought two of the Mainstays Fleece Throws from Walmart at $2.50 each. I cut one in half, folded the half in half right sides together, sewed around the outside with a half inch seam allowance, and left an opening for turning right side out. I top stitched around the outside and then decided to try free motion quilting to keep the two layers together. I decided to try quilting around the various printed items on the fleece: dog houses, food dishes, bones, leashes, fire hydrants, and various words such as woof, arf arf, sit, fetch, etc.

Two different feet from that 32 presser foot set that I bought earlier are appropriate for free motion quilting. One has a spring and the other doesn't. I started with the one without the spring. I stopped after going around one dog house and starting around a leash. The foot wasn't holding the fabric still during the stitch well enough. I am sure it would work better if there had been batting as well as the two fleece layers. I switched to the foot with the spring and that worked much better on this thin quilt.

I am happy with the result of my practice. There are definitely places where the stitches are too long or too short. My loops around the various images sometimes cut across part of the image. The fleece no longer lies flat as I have stretched it in places. However, it is quilted fairly evenly and I am certain that the dog will not care about the multiple imperfections.  ;D

I have sewn three additional dog blankets and have them ready to quilt. I will try three different free motion quilting patterns. One will be wavy lines in both horizontal and vertical directions. I think the other two will be loops and meander, but I have not decided yet.  ;)

I am happy to be practicing on something that will be used.  :D

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 02:09:15 pm »
    Next milestone! I have signed up for the Journey to Nebula Sew-A-Long. My daughter has purchased the rulers and patterns for Journey to Nebula (starts in September) and Nebula Block of the Month (starts in January). She has also purchased the Tula Pink fabric kit for Nebula. I will drive to visit her when she gets the patterns and make templates to use to sew along from my stash. I suspect that my  hexagon ruler and my regular rulers will also work for those pieces cut from 2.5 inch strips. ;)
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:16:14 am by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: August 20, 2020, 05:46:44 am »
    This has been a week of changes in my craft/sewing room. I had a friend request a larger dog blanket, 3' by 5'. My sewing table was too messy to attempt quilting it. So, I cleared the stuff from that table onto my cutting table. Then I started making a DIY extension table to make quilting larger items easier. I had several sturdy fabric bolt cardboard inserts. Four of these stacked are just shorter than the sewing level of my machine. I taped together three sets of four and then cut another into four sections the width of my machine and taped these together. These and my machine are just smaller than my sewing table. I plan to eventually top these with a thin smooth board, but for now, this is working great.

Of course, this then meant that I had to deal with the stuff that I had dumped on my cutting table. I filled dollar store containers I had on hand with different categories of the stuff to sort through later.

Day before yesterday, I looked through my boxes of material that I bought on clearance over the years and pulled out all of the quilting cotton so that it would all be together as I need to pick fabric for the first of the Journey to Nebula Sew-A-Long projects, Seaside. I combined the ideas from three different videos on organizing fabric stashes to pick a way to fold and store that fabric and get it off the bolts. Essentially, with selvedges together, I fold to around an 18 inch width, wrap around my 6 inch ruler, pull the ruler out, and then fold that in half. I am adding a paper slip to each folded piece indicating yardage, fabric content, and any other info that I think is important. I have about a tenth of it folded, all of the solids and some of the prints. I chose and set aside the six fabrics that I think that I will use for the Seaside project. The rest of the material is waiting for me to fold it. Then it is on to the home decor material and the apparel material. I will think of the other crafting supplies later.

I now have most of my thread spools in a large container. I have three clear containers for holding the spools and bobbins that I use frequently. I need to figure how I want to store the rest for easy access.

Earlier in the week I went to JoAnn's to buy some fabric with koalas on it to make a birthday present for my sister. While there, the "buy two, get one free" sale on quilting cutting rulers resulted in me getting rulers (8.5" square with internal 4.5" square, 6" 60 triangle, and Quilt Sense Wonder Triangles), the 40 and 50 percent off coupons resulted in a pack of machine quilting needles and a set of tube turners.

I used the 8.5" square ruler in making my sister's birthday present, a fabric box to hold sewing patterns. I fussy cut a different koala for each side of the box. No quilting but I did try out a presser foot from the set recommended for stitching in the ditch. It worked great. The present is now wrapped and will be delivered today.

During the moving of stuff around, I misplaced the scrap of fabric that I have been using as a leader/ender. Since I had been watching sewing videos, I decided that it was finally time to start sewing scraps together between pieces. I dug through one of my bags of scraps and pulled out several appropriate pieces. Now I need a container specifically for those scraps. It will be the beginning of the COVID-19 mask scrap projects. ;)

Eventually I will get everything organized. ;D
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:31:10 pm by Annalog »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 06:48:35 am »
    I don't know if you have wall space, but I have seen boards with pegs on them to hold spools of thread or ribbon.
    I have also started using those hanging wall pockets on the fronts and backs of doors. I have one on the door leading into the laundry room to hold my masks so I walk right past it and grab a mask when leaving the house.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 08:13:19 am »
    How exciting to be starting a new quilt along! I am working on an Amanda Murphy sampler quilt-along using rulers. I find ruler work quite challenging. Quilting rulers are quite different from cutting rulers. Fortunately, my neighbor has been doing ruler work for quite a few years and lets me borrow hers if needed. I have some Amanda Murphy rulers, but it seems never the right one. She has a sit-down longarm, so quilting is a lot easier for her than it is for me. I have purchased one of the glider pads to help my fabric feed smoother as I push it through with the feed dogs down. Your set up with boxes is pretty genius. I have been searching for a new table for quite a while, as my current table is really too small. I have my choices down to two, but just not sure which one yet. Good luck with you quilt along, and let us see your progress as you go along!  Jane

ETA: I just checked out the Nebula sew along. What a beautiful project. I was confused, and I apologize. I tend to read too fast sometimes. My mind is on ruler work quilting right now. Nebula is a project using cutting rulers and piecing, not quilting rulers. You will gain much skill using these rulers and end up with a beautiful project.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:03:45 am by Jane917 »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 11:19:32 pm »
    I don't know if you have wall space, but I have seen boards with pegs on them to hold spools of thread or ribbon.
    Thanks for the reminder. I inherited one my dad made for my mother many decades ago. I set it on top of a set of file cabines and then forgot that I had it!

Jane917, when I went to the quilt and craft show near the beginning of this year, my daughter and I attended a presentation on ruler quilting. Neither of us have the right type of foot for our machines. That is something that I want to try in the future. It will probably need to wait for me to get a new machine.

DH let me use two media (DVD, CD, etc.) storage towers that he had emptied for storing some of my fabric. This changed my last fold from in half to in thirds to get it to fit on the shelves. However, yardage longer than about 4 yards is too thick to fold in thirds so I have put rubber bands around it instead and I have been stacking it on top of the storage units. I now have folded all of the yardage of the quilting cotton that was in boxes but I still had some in totes that is not yet folded.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 07:57:12 am »
    Of course I am going for a more difficult project than suggested.  I  picked two sets of fabric for the Seaside table runner.  Instead of a front and backing, I am planning on making a mirror image front with my least favorite of the two sets and using it as a backing instead. 🤣
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 07:38:04 am by Annalog »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 07:53:14 am »
    Current plan and elaboration of crazy idea:

Once again, I am interested in making learning projects more complicated than necessary. I picked the five accent fabrics and the background fabric for the Seaside table runner top but couldn't decide on a background fabric.

Meanwhile, I had started emptying plastic totes while organizing fabric in my stash. This resulted in me finding more cotton material that had been hidden away. One of these, a bright blue print that I had bought almost a decade ago for a costume, replaced a darker blue fabric previously chosen for Seaside.

A few other found fabrics went well with the background fabrics that I have been trying to decide between. This is when my crazy brain decided that that I needed to complicate this project.  I picked four fabrics that went well with the tan background to be a second set of accent fabrics. One of those fabrics is printed in an ogee pattern with alternating columns in orange and brown. I decided to fussy cut two strips, one with the orange centered and the other with the brown centered. The result is that I now plan to make two different pieced tops with the two sets of colors. The layout of the two will be mirror images of each other. My goal is a reversible table runner where the quilting will match the layout on each side.

I know that this is definitely not recommended for at least two reasons. First, the bottom layer often shifts a bit while quilting. Second, all my seams on both the front and back will line up, resulting in thicker areas. However, as long as one side looks good, I will be happy. The secondary set colors is made up of fabrics that I was considering as backing material anyway. This will be my first regular quilting project and I am not expecting perfection. (My first actual quilting project was a bowl-shaped turtle shell with Y seams where I designed the pattern. Truly an insane choice for a beginning quilter.) As an overconfident novice quilter working with materials primarily bought at Walmart on clearance, I am throwing caution to the wind. Let the scraps fall where they may! (They will end up in the scrap bucket for future use anyway. ;) )

After cutting the diamonds from the 2.5" WOF strips, I ended up with 10 extra accent diamonds. This is enough to make five coasters in each color set with an accent V to coordinate with the chevron pattern in the table runner. I can make a column of 10 accent Vs, with one color set on each end, separated by background Vs and add a border strip of background material on each side. I will then cut the column in half to have a front and back matching the two table runners. I will quilt these together as a test to see how the quilting would look. Finally, I would cut into five reversible coasters and add binding. If I am satisfied with how these turn out, then I will make the table runner reversible. If not, then I will choose two different backing materials. In either case, I will have more practice with both quilting and binding before doing those tasks on the table runner.  ;D

UPDATE: I have decided to make at least 10 coasters to have a rectangle large enough for the reversible quilting test to be a valid test. I am not sure if those will still have accent Vs or just single accent diamonds.
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:56:49 am by Annalog »

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 03:17:56 pm »
    I just started quilting. I made a quilt top and was going to send it out to be quilted, but I'm taking  free motion quilting class online now. So I'm going to quilt it myself.
    I'm fairly confident in doing meadering and loopy meadering & working on learning swirls. Swirls are much more challanging and will need more practice. But I don't think I'll be using swirls in my current quilt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 03:54:02 pm »
    I hope you are having fun!

I have become fairly comfortable with meander and loops. I will be quilting the table runners with straight line quilting and a walking foot.

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 08:21:26 am »
    I am enjoying it. The lady who teaches my class has a bunch of videos on YouTube
     Search for stringandstory if you are interested in looking at some other designs and tips.

A freind wanted to give away most of her quilting stuff due to medical issues
     She have me a bunch of Rodale books and even some quilt kits, two of which I might make & 2 that I probably will give away. (One has applique and the other has really small pieces).

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 08:27:36 am »
    I have just finished Amanda Murphy's Blossom Sampler using ruler work and FMQ. On one of my blocks I used yellow Chaco marker to crosshatch the 12" block. It is not the first time I have used Chaco marker, but probably the first time on white fabric. Almost all the chalk brushed off as I expected, but some persistently remains. It is not very visible, but of course, I see it right away. I have used SHOUT, Oxyclean, Dawn liquid, 3 machine washings and 6 hours of soaking in the sink. There is still a slight trace. Today I am going to try some Foleys and Red Wine Out. Just a warning but I will not be using Chaco again. I have used it a lot, but I wonder if they changed the formula. Back to disappearing ink.

Offline NanD

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 01:44:12 pm »
    Oooh. Thanks for the warning on chalk. I do have some chalk pencils. I'd like to try ruler work, maybe after this class is done.

I probably do need to get one of the bed extensions for my sewing machine. It has decent throat space 8" but only a couple inches in front of and behind the needle.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 10, 2020, 07:03:53 pm »
    Oooh. Thanks for the warning on chalk. I do have some chalk pencils. I'd like to try ruler work, maybe after this class is done.

I probably do need to get one of the bed extensions for my sewing machine. It has decent throat space 8" but only a couple inches in front of and behind the needle.

I have the SewSteady to extend my throat space. I have 11" of throat space which is a help, but not enough to do really good ruler work or FMQ. I find Amanda Murphy's videos and books beneficial.

Chalk pencils have never been a worry to me. The concern comes from the Chaco markers. I have spoken to many others who have had the same problem. I am still working on the stain and I think I will eventually get it out.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement