Author Topic: First reads  (Read 856 times)  

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
First reads
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:14:41 am »
I picked the 2 free first reads for my Kindle, how do I find them?
Thanks

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: First reads
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:51 am »
    They should be on your kindle as any other Amazon purchased book is.

You might not have your current/favorite kindle as the 'default'. If so it wouldn't show up there automatically. BUT it should be there if you go to the library and look at 'all' vs 'downloaded'.

OR go to the manage content and devices page at Amazon and find them and send them to the kindle where you want them. You can also reset your default kindle from that section. I find I have to reset mine periodically as it'll just glitch and default to whatever is alphabetically first. Or maybe most recently added. It doesn't seem particularly consistent. :) And sometimes it just un-defaults it and doesn't make anything else the default.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:47:33 pm »
    I watch the First Reads list every month and most months they just don't have anything to interest me.  I wish they'd let us choose from a larger selection.  Every now and then I do find one I want to read.

Barry

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 02:28:11 pm »
    On mine, I have to turn on the WiFi

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:00:34 pm »
    Thanks,I just saw that I wont get them until February. I had to go to my old mail to see what I got because I didnt remember what books I picked.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:26:54 pm »
    Thanks,I just saw that I wont get them until February. I had to go to my old mail to see what I got because I didnt remember what books I picked.

February First Read books won't even be known until February 01.  The January choices are available for download now and should be immediately available (presuming you are a Prime member). 

If you are NOT a Prime member and are pre-ordering the books for $4.99 each, they are not available until February 01.  Did you click the "pre-order" button instead of the "buy it now for FREE" button?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:37:23 pm »
    February First Read books won't even be known until February 01.  The January choices are available for download now and should be immediately available (presuming you are a Prime member). 

If you are NOT a Prime member and are pre-ordering the books for $4.99 each, they are not available until February 01.  Did you click the "pre-order" button instead of the "buy it now for FREE" button?

Even if you're not a Prime customer, you should still be able to buy them now for a reduced price.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:53:06 pm »
    Yep, $1.99 in the US.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 04:15:27 am »
    As a U.S. Prime member, I do remember that current First Read books are traditionally available for $1.99 to non-Prime members.

However, when I click through to one of the current offerings, The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock, my buy/one-click options are "Buy it now for FREE" (with the notation we get two free selections this month), or "Pre-order for $4.99" (with the notation it will be delivered on February 01, 2020).  That is looking at them from a signed-in Prime account on my laptop browser.

I have not "purchased" any of the selections this month, so maybe that second choice would change to a buy now for $1.99 if I bought my two free books first.  It does seem a little weird to me.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 09:04:54 am »
    As a U.S. Prime member, I do remember that current First Read books are traditionally available for $1.99 to non-Prime members.

However, when I click through to one of the current offerings, The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock, my buy/one-click options are "Buy it now for FREE" (with the notation we get two free selections this month), or "Pre-order for $4.99" (with the notation it will be delivered on February 01, 2020).  That is looking at them from a signed-in Prime account on my laptop browser.

I have not "purchased" any of the selections this month, so maybe that second choice would change to a buy now for $1.99 if I bought my two free books first.  It does seem a little weird to me.

I think that when you're prime, your options are 'buy it now for free' or pre-order. Once you've bought for free, you'll only see pre-order on all the other first reads selections.

If you're NOT a prime member, you should see 'buy it now for $1.99' or pre-order. And, again, if you buy at the discount price all you're allowed to, the only option on the others will be pre-order.

In other words, you don't have the option of getting more than 1 or 2 for the special price. Most months it's 1. Some months it's 2.

BUT I'm just surmising now since I'm also a prime member.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 10:14:07 am »
    That sounds correct, yeah.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:33 am »
    I think that when you're prime, your options are 'buy it now for free' or pre-order. Once you've bought for free, you'll only see pre-order on all the other first reads selections.

If you're NOT a prime member, you should see 'buy it now for $1.99' or pre-order. And, again, if you buy at the discount price all you're allowed to, the only option on the others will be pre-order.

In other words, you don't have the option of getting more than 1 or 2 for the special price. Most months it's 1. Some months it's 2.

BUT I'm just surmising now since I'm also a prime member.

Completely logical!

Although none of it changes the fact that amyberta should have immediate access to her 2 selections, whether free as a Prime member or $1.99 as a non-Prime member.  The only way to not have access until February 01 is clicking that pre-order buy button.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:03 pm »
    Completely logical!

Although none of it changes the fact that amyberta should have immediate access to her 2 selections, whether free as a Prime member or $1.99 as a non-Prime member.  The only way to not have access until February 01 is clicking that pre-order buy button.

Agree 100% :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »
    I dont remember if I picked the preorder, but also thought I would get the books right away.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 03:31:34 pm »
    I dont remember if I picked the preorder, but also thought I would get the books right away.

If you are a member who only ordered 2 of the 6 selections, I would suggest you call Customer Service to figure out what happened and have them cancel if they are listed as pre-orders (for which you would pay $4.99 on February 01).  Then go back and "buy" them for Free if you are a prime member or $1.99 if you are not.

Unless you "bought" or ordered more than 2 of the selections, the first (or only) two January First Reads selections you made should be available immediately.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:57 pm »
    If you are a member who only ordered 2 of the 6 selections, I would suggest you call Customer Service to figure out what happened and have them cancel if they are listed as pre-orders (for which you would pay $4.99 on February 01).  Then go back and "buy" them for Free if you are a prime member or $1.99 if you are not.

Unless you "bought" or ordered more than 2 of the selections, the first (or only) two January First Reads selections you made should be available immediately.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!
    I have Prime, I didnt pay for them. Maybe Ill call Amazon, but Ill probably have to wait for February to get them.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement