Author Topic: Kindle vs. Amazon Prime  (Read 436 times)  

Offline Mitchie23

• View Profile
Kindle vs. Amazon Prime
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:00:11 am »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Mitch, a homeschooling mom and happy to be here.

My daughter loves reading books, she is really fond of using the physical books, which I respect, however, we live in a small apartment, and a reality check, it is not practical keeping all the books that over time collect dust and consume so much space.

She had a kindle 3 years ago, it got broken and she said it's fine since she enjoys reading physical books more. But then, as a mom who would want to keep our house as spacious and as neat as possible, I would like to encourage her to read using an E-Reader.

I was looking at this review, https://thewiredshopper.com/kindle-unlimited-vs-amazon-prime-reading, basically, they are comparing Amazon Prime from Kindle. They are saying Kindle is really more for serious readers which is my child but at the same time, I like the features Amazon Prime has. I am so confused, but I guess at the end of the day it's not really what I like, but what my child would enjoy, and whatever that will convince her to ditch out physical books and just use an E-Reader.

Your input/suggestions/feedback is highly appreciated.

If you are for Kindle, hope you can advise about the type, I know there are a lot of models available already. She is a 13-year old girl.

Thanks,
Mitch

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle vs. Amazon Prime
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 12:27:54 pm »
    Amazon Prime and Kindle are two completely different things. It's like comparing apples and elephants.

Kindle is an eReader. There are several models. the most 'bang for the buck' is probably the Paperwhite. But the base model is certainly an excellent device. The Oasis is for the hard core reader willing to buy the BMW of ereaders. Whichever you choose, get a sturdy cover and it should last a long time.

Do not confuse a Kindle with a Fire tablet. The Fire tablet comes with the kindle app installed but also has the same sort of features you'd find on any android based tablet, give or take. My opinion is that they're low end tablets, but that may be all you need and they do tend to be cheaper than those with name brands.

The kindle app can also be loaded onto any androied or apple model phone or tablet.

Amazon Prime is a subscription on Amazon you can purchase for something like $120 a year. It has lots of perks including books to borrow, movies to watch, songs to play, and free shipping on most products for sale on Amazon. Probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

Amazon has several reading programs: Prime reading is tied to the Amazon Prime subscription. It's a curated subset of the overall Amazon catalog; no idea how many would be in her age/reading level. It changes periodically. You can buy a subscription as well for Kindle Unlimited (KU). There's a huge catalog there and I think a fair number are for teens or younger. Both programs have a limit of 10 books borrowed at a time. If you own a kindle (vs just using the app on a phone or other tablet), there's also the Kindle Owners Lending Library -- you can basically borrow one book a month from the KU catalog without having a KU subscription. Again ... books acquired this way are BORROWED. You read 'em and return 'em and get more. Of course you can purchase ebooks as well.

If she'll read a on a kindle, I think it'd be great. I'd have loved one as a kid. If she prefers paper books, a library card might be a better investment. ;)

(PS moving the whole post to our Kindle discussion section. Others may have relevant thoughts and this 'introductions' area is less visited by long time members.)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 03:27:55 pm »
    A library card is an excellent thing to have in any case.

Check into what they have for e-book borrowing -- and be sure to find out what format their borrowing program uses & how it operates -- ask the librarians for all the details & procedures; Kindle uses mobi format, you would need a tablet if they use e-pub. Don't just think of your own local library; many places let "neighbor counties/cities" have borrowing privileges, and there are some libraries that for a fee allow far-off-people to join & borrow.

You might also want to check that old, broken Kindle -- if it's still around maybe you can use it as a trade-in & get a discount on a new one. Be sure to note details of its serial # before your de-register it on the Amazon web-site. If it still works at all, you can re-set it to factory-condition from the device itself.

Depending on the child's age, you may want to think over the pros & cons of her having her own account (check on how to deal w/ parental controls etc) vs getting books on your account. You will NOT be able to transfer books from one to another later!

Not sure what age your child is -- but when I was around 9-12 I'd have *loved* a lighted e-reader for reading under-the-covers after I was supposed to be asleep! (I had to manage w/ a flashlight, & I've totally forgotten how I kept it in batteries!)

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 04:24:24 pm »
    I think you may be confusing the Kindle with Kindle Unlimited.  They're very different things.  The Kindle is the device, plain and simple.  Kindle Unlimited is a kind of subscription program that lets you borrow books from their library of over a million books.  For $10 a month you can borrow up to 10 books at a time for as long as you like.  The limit is that you can only have 10 borrowed at once, which isn't much of a limit.

It's worth noting that with a few exceptions the big 5 publishers don't put their books in the Kindle Unlimited program so a lot of the current best sellers aren't in it.  But with over a million books it has a lot of very good books to read.  And those books keep changing.  From time to time books are added and others are removed.

Prime reading let's users with Amazon Prime borrow 1 book a month.  They can choose from a selection of about 1,000 books, most of which are also included in Kindle Unlimited.  Prime began as a free shipping program and later they added free videos and free books and a few other things.  It's not really about reading per se but it does have pretty good benefits.

I got Prime when it was first offered, living in a retirement home in a small town and not having a car.  Free shipping has made my life easier and more affordable.  I also enjoy the Prime videos.  I think I once checked out a Prime reading book but I'm not sure.  I probably did.

I never paid much attention to Kindle Unlimited till I got 6 free months with a Kindle purchase.  Even then I didn't try it out till about 5 or 6 weeks before it was due to expire.  I checked out a legal thriller by an author I never heard of that would have cost about $15 if I'd had to pay for it so I never would have given that book a try if it wasn't free.  It was excellent and as a result I've been using Kindle Unlimited ever since. I have a very large library at Amazon so I don't really need it but it makes it easy to explore new authors and I like that.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement