Author Topic: Error when uploading book to KDP/Kindle Create  (Read 371 times)  

Offline castaway

• View Profile
Error when uploading book to KDP/Kindle Create
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:44:35 am »

I'm done writing, but still need to do some editing, I wanted to try Kindle Create but it gives me an error saying that the file is corrupt. (docx file downloaded from OneDrive). I then tried uploading the file to KDP, but it says your ZIP file contains the wrong format, but it's the same docx file. Anyone had the same issue and knows what to do?

Tried to copy the content into a new docx file, but still having the same issue

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline castaway

• View Profile
    Re: Error when uploading book to KDP/Kindle Create
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:29:08 am »
    I've divided the file into smaller files and checked if any of them create an issue, but no, they all upload fine, but all together give me the error message.

Online RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:03 pm »
    I've had zero problems uploading Word files to KDP.

There are some threads around here about formatting you could check out, and there are some pretty good Word instructions on the KDP site at https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645680.

Without more information about your file, it's hard to be more help. Are you using Word? Is this a text-only book or are there pictures?

The reference to a zip file is a little strange, almost as if the file had a .docx extension but was actually a zip file.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 02:36:07 pm »
    The .docx format contains a lot of XHTML code that's not necessary for a text document. It's really a zipped format itself. The fact that you've gotten an error referring to zipped files leads me to believe that yes, your .docx document is corrupted. My first step would be to save it as a .doc file (removing the unnecessary XHTML inclusions) and try that. But the very best option for print will always be a PDF with all fonts embedded.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:37:56 pm »
    The reference to a zip file is a little strange, almost as if the file had a .docx extension but was actually a zip file.
    It is. If you change the .docx extension to .zip it will change to a zipped folder and you can then see all the files inside it that make up the .docx file.

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 02:50:14 pm »
    It is. If you change the .docx extension to .zip it will change to a zipped folder and you can then see all the files inside it that make up the .docx file.

The best way to get all the images out of one!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement