Author Topic: Consistently sync reading position to kindle?  (Read 480 times)  

Offline tyresebro1

• View Profile
Consistently sync reading position to kindle?
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:45 pm »
I can turn one page again on Kindle, and as soon as I open the book on my mobile, it shows up with the last page read popup.

However, when turning a page on mobile, it doesn't show any message on the kindle.

How can I fix this? I think it is gen 4 or 5. Software version 4.1.4

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online barryem

• View Profile
    Re: Consistently sync reading position to kindle?
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:13:13 am »
    When you finish a reading session on your phone you can manually sync and this should help.

I've found that as time goes by syncing between the Kindle app on my phone and my Paperwhite has become much slower and a bit less reliable.  It helps to manually sync at the beginning and end of each reading session but even that sometimes fails.

I'll often remember a short phrase near the top of the page and use text search to find that phrase when I change devices.  This requires more effort than using whispersync but it's faster and more reliable.  For example, on my current book I might choose the phrase "kindness of sympathy".  That probably won't occur many times in the book and even if it does search always gives me enough context to spot the right one.

For a while I quit using Kindle's sync entirely and just used that but then I got lazy so now I use both.

Barry

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:44:42 am »
    Syncing between devices works fine for me.

That said, my kindles are generally in a strong wifi zone at home. The only time I have syncing issues is if I've been out and about and the kindle hasn't connected to wifi. Then if I get home and pick up a different device, it usually will not automatically go to where I left off. In that case I do have to manually sync from the device that had spent the day out and about.

OTOH, the GR reporting is acting up. Automatically posts on GR when I start a book, but then randomly sends a 'finished reading' message to GR and I'll wake up the next morning and GR thinks I've finished the book. Solution to this, until GR/Kindle gets it sorted, is to turn off the 'mark on GR' function. FWIW, there have been random reports of this behavior for the last year or so. It was acting up for me last summer, but then it seemed to fix itself. Started again just in the last week or so, though.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:01 am »
    I can't say that Whispersync is completely reliable for me. 

It doesn't always work automatically and even when I'm at home with my wi-fi and I use the 'sync your kindle' option on both the device I last used and the device I want updated, it still doesn't always work and I have to use the 'sync to furthest page read' option.

I also find when I'm using my PW4 and Voyage, the direction I'm syncing in makes a difference too. It's not a real problem, it just means the sync isn't always instantaneous.

As to the Goodreads link Ann mentioned, I didn't realise that could happen. I always update my reading status on GR manually (and prefer to) so I presume it's turned off on my Kindle/GR account, though how you would turn it on I have no idea! I've never used the GR option on the Kindle menu.
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 11:45:21 am »

As to the Goodreads link Ann mentioned, I didn't realise that could happen. I always update my reading status on GR manually (and prefer to) so I presume it's turned off on my Kindle/GR account, though how you would turn it on I have no idea! I've never used the GR option on the Kindle menu.

It is, I think, separate from linking to your GR account on kindle. If you do that, it may turn on automatically. Not sure. I had a GR account already when I got both my current kindles.

So, when you open a book, there's the pop up that lets you go check the 'about this book' and, on that pop up, there's a toggle where you can have it marked as 'reading' on GR. Then when you finish and rate it, it automatically marks it 'finished'. If you switch the toggle on when you open one book, it stays on for future books you open. If you move the toggle off for one book, it stays off for any future books you open. You can also access it by going to the 'about this book' through the menu while IN the book.

Anyway, that's how it's supposed to work. Sometimes, when the toggle is on -- so the link to GR is active -- it marks the book 'read' regardless. Even if all you did was open the book and look at the first page which, arguably, should cause it to mark the book as 'reading'. But close the book, and go to GR on a computer and you'll see it listed as 'read'. Most annoying, so I've turned it off for the time being. And will update GR manually, which I did regularly anyway when I'd finish a book and needed to write a 'review' -- really just something to remind me why I read it and what it was about and if I liked it so I'd know if I tried to buy or borrow it again. :D

There are a couple of discussion threads on GR where people are asking what's going on and when it'll be fixed but there's been no substantive response from anyone who really knows anything. And it's not always happening, and not to everyone, apparently. So it's some sort of glitch that they can't isolate and don't seem too care too much about fixing. Not even sure if it's a GR issue or a Kindle issue.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement