Author Topic: What does a week of silence say about a forum?  (Read 1700 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
What does a week of silence say about a forum?
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:40:08 am »
I check this forum every day and nobody says anything? Come on, folks.  Let's keep this thing alive!

Oh wait!  There was one spam. :)

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: What does a week of silence say about a forum?
    « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:48:00 am »
    There's a moderate amount of discussion in the book corner, especially in some specific threads. And the WC is still pretty active. Also NQK.

Fact is, there's not been much kindle news in a while. Though the PW IS currently on sale.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:56 pm »
    I guess so but it sure is disheartening.  I have fond memories of the Kindle in the land of used to be.  Even I'm a traitor.  I have my Kindles but i do most of my reading on a phone these days.  It's nice that it's always in my shirt pocket.

I did try reading the book forums but I didn't find much discussion of the books I read.  I tried a couple of times to start a discussion but nothing happened.

Back in the days of Compuserve I had an HP calculator and a 95lx palmtop MS-DOS computer and I frequented the HP forums.  Someone there wrote a program for reading on the 95lx and scanned a few books and that was my first exposure to ebooks.  This was in the days before that was illegal, although I suspect we could have been sued if anyone cared.  But they didn't.  Anyway much of the discussion from that time on was about books, about what to scan and how to do it.  I've been active in ebook discussions ever since.  I guess all things come to an end.

I'll keep checking for posts but I probably shouldn't expect too much, I guess.

Barry

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
    Its sad, but I havent used my actual Kindle in months. I spent a couple of hundred bucks getting the top of the line new Kindle at least a year ago, and I dont think Ive ever read a book on it. I dont read as much as I used to, and when I do it is on an iPad or my iPhone. At least Im getting some reading done though!

I guess it is neat that we no longer need a Kindle to get the benefits of ebooks, but the idea of a device absolutely optimized for reading (which iPad and iPhone are not) ought to appeal to me! But I dont use it....
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 07:58:49 pm »
    I don't post in this section much anymore. Mostly, because I have my kindles and there hasn't been a really new on in some time. I do post in the book corner still.

I only read on kindles though, unlike others. I cannot physically read on phones or tablets in any case.

unless they come out with a solar charger built in the case, I don't know what they could release to get me more exited at this point. Have we reached the plateau?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:20:53 am »
    What Atunah said. :) I'm always ready to hear about new books -- as IF I needed any more to add to my mountainous TBR pile! -- but I have 5 kindles on my account now. And 3 of them are mine: one goes everywhere, one lives by my bed, and one is where I put stuff that I want access to for some special purpose or to be able to find the book without a lot of hunting. My brother and my husband also each have a kindle on my account.

At this point, unless/until one of the ones I have bites the dust, I don't see me buying a new one. I did not get the new Oasis with the 'soft light'. No point in spending money when the one I have is fine. And while there are one or two tweaks that would be great (a solar charging case/cover would be AWESOME) the minor modifications the last few 'new' models have had haven't been enough for me to feel the need to upgrade.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:11 am »
    I'd like to see Amazon move to USB-C for charging.  I hate the micro-USB cables.  It always takes me more than one try to plug them in.  With USB-C I get it right every time.  They changed the Fire 10 in 2019, so there is hope :)
    I also think the batteries in my older Kindles lasted longer.  Even my first Paperwhite would make it almost a week before needing a charge.  I do read on my Oasis daily and I have to charge it almost every other day.  I like the lighter weight, but I'd go back to something a little heavier to get a longer-lasting battery.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:07 am »
    I'd like to see Amazon move to USB-C for charging.  I hate the micro-USB cables.  It always takes me more than one try to plug them in.  With USB-C I get it right every time.  They changed the Fire 10 in 2019, so there is hope :)
    I also think the batteries in my older Kindles lasted longer.  Even my first Paperwhite would make it almost a week before needing a charge.  I do read on my Oasis daily and I have to charge it almost every other day.  I like the lighter weight, but I'd go back to something a little heavier to get a longer-lasting battery.

Ditto, that or an easily user replaceable battery like the K1.  That's pretty much the only change that would entice me to a new Kindle at this point.  I use my Oasis 2 or Voyage every day, and there is still another Voyage, a Paperwhite 2, and a Kindle Keyboard also in daily usage as well as one Basic available for back-up on my account.

The lack of much new posting anywhere on the boards (even the WC now) is discouraging, but I'm still here several times a day to check things out and still post in the few threads that hold interest for me.  The loss of the chat function has been the biggest difference to me in "meeting" new folks and maintaining actual conversations that you can't really get in threads.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 06:44:34 am »
    Maybe it says people are doing a lot of reading so they aren't online as much? I read daily on my Kindle, at least all through breakfast eating alone. Sometimes dinner also if my best half isn't able to join me. I keep my O3 in airplane mode 99% of the time. Maybe a half hour average reading per day and I only have to charge once a month. Brightness at 18. My phone is far too small for reading and my ipad isn't nearly as easy on the eyes as my O3.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 08:20:00 am »

This hadn't occurred to me, and would be nice as that's the sort of port my phone and tablet (both Samsungs) have. But I'm not sure just that change would be enough to buy new. Especially as I wouldn't replace all 3 I use with some regularity in one fell swoop.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 08:27:37 am »
    I read on my Kindle every day.  Wouldn't be without it.

Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 10:26:57 am »
    I read on my Oasis every day and on my phone only when I'm out somewhere, stuck, and it's all I have to alleviate boredom. I check this forum pretty regularly knowing if anything new Kindle comes out, there'll be a post here, but in general, the Kindle is a mature device and there's not much to say about it any more.

Offline Tatiana

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:04 pm »
    I don't post in this section much anymore. Mostly, because I have my kindles and there hasn't been a really new on in some time. I do post in the book corner still.

I only read on kindles though, unlike others. I cannot physically read on phones or tablets in any case.

unless they come out with a solar charger built in the case, I don't know what they could release to get me more exited at this point. Have we reached the plateau?

I, too, read only on Kindles...or paper books if the books are not available as an eBook.  I cannot physically on phones or tablets without a severe headache or eye pain.
    From the manner in which a woman draws her thread at every stitch of her needlework, any other woman can surmise her thoughts.  ~Honore de Balzac

Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern; it will come out a rose by and by.  Life is like that - one stitch at a time taken patiently and the pattern will come out all right like the embroidery.  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »
    There is something fairly new in the world for those who like to read on phones.  It's the Hisense A5 phone with an e-ink screen and a front light.  I haven't actually seen one but I've been reading and watching reviews and it sorely tempts me.  But it's a couple hundred dollars and I'm not unhappy reading on an LCD phone.

My Samsung S5 has an AMOLED display which is even better than the LCD but I have a cheap Samsung J3 just for reading with an LCD.  I read on the S5 when I'm away from home but at home I just use the J3.  I'm pretty tempted to get the Hisense but I haven't decided to yet.  I'm not sure if I will or not.

The reviews mention some problems with it as a phone: it doesn't have Google Play being the main one.  It does have a way to access apps from the Google Play store but it seems not all apps work.  I have been reading good things about the ereading apps on it, including the Kindle app and my favorite, Moon+ Reader.

I've found that I'm okay reading on LCD screens as long as I take a break every 20 to 30 minutes.  And just today I found out about the 20-20-20 rule suggested by eye doctors, which is similar to what I do.  They suggest looking every 20 minutes at something at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds to avoid eyestrain when using a screen.  This applies to any kind of screen, it seems, because it's not really the screen that causes eyestrain in most cases, it's the fact that we only blink about 1/3 as often when focusing on something close.  I read about the 20-20-20 rule and I was sceptical so I googled it and a lot of reputable health sites recommend it, such as the American Optometric Association's site.  It's not exactly what I've been doing but it's similar and I think I'll start doing that and see what happens.

I've always read a lot.  I read more now that I'm getting older and slower.  I sometimes use my Kindle but mostly I read on my phone.

Barry

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »
    My eye doctor suggested the 20-20-20 method to me also. I don't blink much. He is a teaching ophthalmologist and always has 2 students in with him. Last time he told me to "look here" and touched his earlobe. He told a student to time 1 minute. I looked where he said and in one minute he asked what they observed. I hadn't blinked once while most people would have blinked at least a few times. So with the 20 rule he added more blinking.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 04:36:09 pm »
    That is interesting. For many many years, I have always stopped and looked out a window, any window. I have had glasses since I was 2 years old and I have somewhat dry eyes. In my early years, eye docs always told me to look away from computer and look out into the distance. I still do that today. Its feels like I am adjusting something there. Blinking is another thing they taught me to do. Its pretty amazing how some folks don't blink for a long time. They don't even realize it. I trained my brain long time ago.
    None of those things though will ever make it comfortable for me to read on a computer or tablet/phone screen. It just isn't going to happen. E-ink changed my world from non reading to reading. As we are all readers here, I don't have to tell you guys what that meant. My eyes are light sensitive. No lcd or led screen will ever be nice to my eyes.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 05:51:33 pm »
    I never thought about blinking with relation to reading till I read that article today.  I'm not aware that I blink less while reading.  My eyes do get tired though and that's why I take short breaks.  I have to do that with paper or a Kindle as well.

I was programming computers long before they had screens and when we got the first computer screens I remember having a lot of eyestrain.  Then my boss read an article saying that trading the green screens for amber screens would help that so he bought us new terminals and it made a huge difference.  This was in the days before computers had color or windows or mice.  It was just text scrolling up a screen.

A few of our programmers weren't affected by the amber screens but most of us were.  I wasn't able to look at the screen for more than a couple of minutes without looking away with the green screen.  With the amber I don't remember any issues at all although I'm not sure how accurate my memory of that is.

Barry

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 12:29:11 pm »

++ that on going to USB - C, no polarity to worry about like USB micro.   I gave my older Fire 10 to the grandson and picked up  a couple of the newer models , mainly because of USB-C.   

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 01:22:28 pm »
    Most of my devices use micro USB.  I do have a couple of devices that use USB C.  It makes it difficult since it requires me to keep both kinds of cables handy.  Actually it's slightly worse than that since I also have some older mini-USB devices and I have to have those cables handy as well.

I wish they'd pick one and stick to it.  I guess if they did I'd prefer it was USB C but I'd be happy with any single connector.

This is part of the price I pay to have so many gadgets. :)

Barry

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »
    Everything I own has been micro usb. Bunch of kindles, android tablets, fires and my phones. Always been the same. Then my last phone I got has a C. And then my charging cable promptly broke and I sat there with a drawer full of usb cords and couldn't use any of them. Ugh. Of course my phone also wants a fast charging  puck thingy to plug the C thingie in so it gets in the way of my nice setup of multi usb charging station. I charge my kindle fleet that way.  ;D.

Darn phone has to be special now.

I hope at some point all devices have the built in wireless charger and every furniture piece comes with it built in. So I can lay it down anywhere. Or just put a solar in the case already so I don't have to worry about charging at all anymore.
    Surely Elon Musk can come up with some efficient stronger solar panels that are part of the metal or plastic. For all devices. And they work inside under regular light too. And fast. Maybe they can float in front of my face so I don't have to hold them anymore while we are at it.   8)
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:53:53 pm by Atunah »

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 11:31:38 am »
    I don't post much in this forum either, but if I find a book on sale I get it in the Book Bazaar.
    5 Kindles here, all PWs of various ages. I'd change my main reader if a new PW came out with features I could use.
    Carpe Manana

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 08:12:58 pm »
    I don't post much in this forum either, but if I find a book on sale I get it in the Book Bazaar.
    5 Kindles here, all PWs of various ages. I'd change my main reader if a new PW came out with features I could use.

Any type of feature in particular you're thinking of?
    Me, I'd like a PW w/ the warm-tone option the O3 has.

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 09:00:58 pm »
    At it's best maybe, it says that the various Kindle devices are so good people just use them and stay offline reading amazing books. That said, wouldn't mind one that comes out the thin side (.13" if we're gonna be specific) of the Kindle Oasis 7" but both sides, metal and 6". That would blow people away (or just me)...That would be well worth my while. Till then, I use about 5 weekly and the more I'm reading and the less i'm online the better. Always appreciated all of you with some great perspectives and feedback though.

As an aside: The other brands seem to still be playing catch up in regard to aesthetic and build quality.
    « Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:07:19 pm by northofdivision »
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline binaryhermit

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 10:28:05 pm »
    I'm pretty sure that it means that the rate of innovation has significantly slowed to the point of it being boring.

Not that there's really anything wrong with that.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
    • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 03:27:27 pm »
    I just bought a PW3 last week and, for the FIRST TIME EVER, a perfect screen was delivered to me!  I'm one of those super picky people so I'm shocked that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the display. I decided to trade in my Oasis 2 that was starting to have battery drain problems (probably not noticeable to most people).

I LOVE that there's a wide border around the Paperwhite, particularly on the bottom so that when I read in bed, I don't have the covers getting in the way. This was a problem I had with the Oasis. And the buttons made a noise. I don't think my hubs heard it but it bothered me. I do wish they'd bring back the physical buttons to maybe a PW and add them to both sides on the edges - not on one side like the Oasis Kindles.

I guess I don't visit the boards anymore either. It kind of feels like there isn't much to discuss anymore. Kindles have stayed mostly the same for quite some time. Well, a slight upgrade here or there like more memory, etc. I have my notifications set so that if someone does post to this board "Let's Talk Kindle!" I get an email notification.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement