Author Topic: Thalidomide Kid  (Read 899 times)  

Offline Kate R

• UK
    • View Profile
    • kjrbooks
Thalidomide Kid
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:37 am »
This is at a promotion price of 0.99 :)

Meet Daryl, a survivor of the Thalidomide tragedy who calls himself Thalidomide Kid. 
Meet Celia, the new girl at Lewis Lane Primary School and daughter of the deputy headmaster of the local comprehensive school.
Together they form an alliance and a special friendship is born.
But who is Stephen Arundel and what does he want?
A bittersweet story about young love and emerging sexuality.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:55:05 am by Kate R »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Thalidomide Kid
    « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:40 am »

Welcome to KBoards, Or Welcome Back ;) OR Hi, glad you're still here. :D Congratulations on the book!  :)

Much of what follows you are, no doubt, already aware of, so please consider this to be just a friendly reminder. :) (The posting of this welcome letter doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so we post this note in every thread. :) )

KBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function or the Kboards bookmark tool available on each thread) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    Re: Thalidomide Kid on a promo
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:22 am »
    This book is on a promotion until May 21st 2015

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:38 pm »
    Last day to get this book for 0.99

;D

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »
    This is on a 0.99 promo again for Valentine's Day and week!

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:13:51 pm »
    This quirky romance is on a 0.99 promo for Valentine's Day again :)

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »
    Really pleased with this latest 5 star review  :)

"For me, this book drew me in, charmed me, held my attention, evoked my empathy and made me totally believe in the characters. Those are the things I am constantly looking for in novels, and this story delivered and left me smiling and wiping away the tears. At the start of the story, Darly and Celia are nearing the end of the final year at Primary School. Celia is the daughter of the deputy head of the local senior school, and Daryl is the youngest son of a family with a reputation for criminal activities and bad behaviour. The novel follows their formative years, from the last year of Primary, to the last year of Secondary school. At first it is Celia who is curious about the boy with no arms. They become friends slowly and hesitantly, although they move in different social circles, and it is clear from the start that Celia's father does not approve of Daryl or his family. Darly soon falls for Celia in a big way, but it takes an age for them to finally get together. The author handles this perfectly, our emotions lifting and falling with the characters, as they circle around each other during their early teenage years. So many issues are handled in this gentle exploration of puberty, sexual awakening and social acceptance. You cannot help but feel for Celia, as she finds her footing in senior school and struggles to cope with bullying from both teachers and pupils. Daryl is such a strong character, you cannot help but fall in love him. At times I had a nervous feeling in my stomach whilst reading, as I so desperately wanted things to go right for him! The author is realistic however, in the likelihood of happy endings, although Daryl is able to prove himself in heroic fashion to Celia's father. I loved how the story was told from their point of view, using their language, and I absolutely adored the retro quality to this novel. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys character driven fiction, gritty storylines which explore social issues, all weaved together with a delicious nostalgic feel. It made me smile from start to finish and I will continue to think about the characters and wonder what happened next..."

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1925189357?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    Thalidomide Kid
    « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 02:47:45 pm »
    Thalidomide Kid is free for those in Kindle Unlimited and has a new cover

Meet Daryl, a survivor of the Thalidomide tragedy who calls himself Thalidomide Kid. 
    Meet Celia, the new girl at Lewis Lane Primary School and daughter of the deputy headmaster of the local comprehensive school.
    Together they form an alliance and a special friendship is born.
    But who is Stephen Arundel and what does he want?
    A bittersweet story about young love and emerging sexuality.

<merged with existing thread.  Please, one thread per book.  Bookmark this thread so that you can find it again, thanks! Duplicate threads may be removed without comment. --Ann>

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:19:50 am by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Kate R

• UK
      • View Profile
      • kjrbooks
    Re: Thalidomide Kid
    « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 04:56:25 am »
     Valentine's Day promotional price - an offbeat romance :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement