Author Topic: IngramSpark Taking a Stand  (Read 794 times)  

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
IngramSpark Taking a Stand
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:36 am »
I just received an email from Ingram that as of April 27, 2020 they will be cancelling the following type of titles with no notice and no refund of publishing fees:

1. Summaries, workbooks, abbreviations, insights, or similar type content without permission from the original author.

2. Books containing blank pages exceeding ten percent, notepads, scratchpads, journals, or similar type content.

3. Books or content that mirror/mimic popular titles, including without limiting, similar covers, cover design, title, author names, or similar type content.

4. Books that are misleading or likely to cause confusion by the buyer, including without limiting, inaccurate descriptions and cover art.

5. Books listed at prices not reflective of the book's market value.

6. Books scanned from original versions where all or parts contain illegible content to the detriment of the buyer.

7. Books created using artificial intelligence or automated processes.

Honestly, I think they needed to do this for a lot of the above categories. Wish Amazon would do similar for #1, 3, 4 and 6. (Although I had just last week been thinking of creating some case laminate notebooks with original photography through them, which won't be allowed now, which is fine because I realized the price point to make a decent book was too high anyway.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SND

• View Profile
    Re: IngramSpark Taking a Stand
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:40:18 am »
    Long overdue book curation.

Offline RockWhitehouse

• Northeast Ohio
      • View Profile
      • iscfleet.com
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:04:39 am »
    I got the same e-mail this morning.

I totally support this decision.

Offline Jane Killick

• Bedfordshire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:47:40 am »
    Absolutely. Well done them!

So awful that this stand needs to be taken at all. I wonder how much of an issue it's been for them.

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:01:09 am »
    There are always going to be a few dolphins caught in tuna nets like this, and that sucks. However, for the most part, I very much approve of any book store / platform / publisher taking steps to curate out some of the accumulated mess.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:33:55 am »
    In theory, this sounds good.  In practice, how will #3 be enforced?

"Books or content that mirror/mimic popular titles, including without limiting, similar covers, cover design, title, author names, or similar type content."

Making your cover look recognizably like the covers of popular books in your genre is the single most common piece of marketing advice I see here on Kboards and pretty much every other place indie authors congregate. 

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline f2b4

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:42:55 am »
    Number 3 may just be there "in case" but not aggressively enforced until some real jerk comes along.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 11:04:35 am »
    In theory, this sounds good.  In practice, how will #3 be enforced?

"Books or content that mirror/mimic popular titles, including without limiting, similar covers, cover design, title, author names, or similar type content."

Making your cover look recognizably like the covers of popular books in your genre is the single most common piece of marketing advice I see here on Kboards and pretty much every other place indie authors congregate. 

I would suspect it's for the very obvious cases. A year or so ago Amazon sent me one of those "you might like these titles" email. Two of the books shown were identical except for the author name. Colors, images, typography. Everything. I've also seen about three instances over the years where the also boughts for an author showed clearly branded covers by that same author with the exception of one title that had been made to blend in with the other covers to the point that it was clear that author's fans had been taken in by the lookalike cover. (A fact that was stated in the reviews, too, by the duped fans.)

I think we can all agree that a woman with a ball of colorful fire in her hand isn't going to be enough to pull a cover. But exact same font, font size, positioning of author and title name, color scheme, and very similar images? Then, yeah. That needs to be stopped.

So awful that this stand needs to be taken at all. I wonder how much of an issue it's been for them.

I suspect they really got hit when they started to offer free ISBNs, but could be wrong.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 11:07:27 am »
    I'm confused how they decide if something was written using AI? I mean, I get that some of those might be obvious. What about the others, though?

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Arches

• View Profile
      • Michael Arches
    « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:38:41 pm »
    I'm confused how they decide if something was written using AI? I mean, I get that some of those might be obvious. What about the others, though?

Most of these rules are written so broadly that Ingram can get rid of basically any book it wants. For example, spellcheck is an automate process.  What's more important is how the rules are applied. I expect they just want discretion instead of planning to wipe out the majority of their customers.

Offline WegR

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 04:44:01 am »
    Was confused by the final line in CassieL's original post:

Thought it was point 8 of Ingram's list of books to wipe out, took a while to work out it was just a signature  :o

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 05:57:48 am »
    Was confused by the final line in CassieL's original post:

Thought it was point 8 of Ingram's list of books to wipe out, took a while to work out it was just a signature  :o

Haha. Yeah, that's what I replaced my book covers with when the big kerfluffle happened here.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement