Author Topic: Amazon First Reads - March 2020  (Read 836 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Amazon First Reads - March 2020
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:49:15 pm »
Almost forgot about these - is it March already?!

In the USA

In the UK

Identical lists this month. Unusually, I'm looking at two or three possibles - the suspense, the mystery and the sci-fi. The sci-fi option seems to be the first in a series that's the prequel to another series which I have the first book to, but have yet to read.

I'll wait for some reviews to come in before making a choice.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:50:56 pm by Linjeakel »
Linda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Amazon First Reads - March 2020
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »
    Thank, Linda .... I kept meaning to get to it but, having just gotten back from a 2 week trip, i had other more important things to get done around the house. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 01:10:43 pm »
    The time travel one looks interesting. But, I see its before the other Chronos series so I would have to finish this one first completely before then starting the Chronos? And how long will that take. I mean how long would I have to wait for this prequel series to be complete. Cause there is no way I can start both, mixing prequel and main series. Yikes.  :-X

From description it kind of reminds me of that other series some of us have been reading, who's author name is not in my brain right now. Historians time traveling. Always something or some such thing title. I need more coffee.

And it also reminds me a bit of the TV show Timeless that was unfortunately cancelled.

But I just don't know how to read that series and if I can't figure that out, I usually just forget about it. Why oh why do authors make prequels. I just do not like those things. It goes totally against my reading order OCD. Ugh.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:16:05 am »
    From description it kind of reminds me of that other series some of us have been reading, who's author name is not in my brain right now. Historians time traveling. Always something or some such thing title. I need more coffee.

I think you mean Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series.

Why oh why do authors make prequels. I just do not like those things. It goes totally against my reading order OCD. Ugh.

I agree wholeheartedly - I have to read things in order.  :o
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:47 pm »
    Yes, Jodi taylor. That is the one. I would have looked up the name if I could have at least remembered a book title, but I had nothing.  :-X

Glad I am not alone with my OCD. Or maybe glad is not the right word. It can be debilitating at times. I mean as in not even starting a series if the order is too confusing and hard to figure out. And when authors and readers say words like "This series can be read in any order", "don't need to start at the beginning" or "read this and then you can always go back and read the prequels later" I go nonononono :o

Some start a series and then go back in time to write for characters we have already met as older and established characters and I don't like that either. Joanna Bourne has a HR series like that and I started reading in chronological order instead. Thankfully goodreads and other readers gave that order. But that only works if one waits until a series is done. In her case there is a book about a character and he is old and bald, established and all that already and then she goes and writes his book later and calls that a next in series. Nope nopity nope. And don't get me started on the inbetweener shorts and bits. Especially if they make  me miss something important in the full books. Since I don't read shorts, I have not started series because of that. Some the author writes books in series and then suddenly the next is a novella. Or the series starts with a novella. I usually don't even start a series like that.

Oh well, plenty other books and series to read that don't make me itchy.  ;D

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:05:07 pm »
    Yes, Jodi taylor. That is the one. I would have looked up the name if I could have at least remembered a book title, but I had nothing.  :-X

Glad I am not alone with my OCD. Or maybe glad is not the right word. It can be debilitating at times. I mean as in not even starting a series if the order is too confusing and hard to figure out. And when authors and readers say words like "This series can be read in any order", "don't need to start at the beginning" or "read this and then you can always go back and read the prequels later" I go nonononono :o

Some start a series and then go back in time to write for characters we have already met as older and established characters and I don't like that either. Joanna Bourne has a HR series like that and I started reading in chronological order instead. Thankfully goodreads and other readers gave that order. But that only works if one waits until a series is done. In her case there is a book about a character and he is old and bald, established and all that already and then she goes and writes his book later and calls that a next in series. Nope nopity nope. And don't get me started on the inbetweener shorts and bits. Especially if they make  me miss something important in the full books. Since I don't read shorts, I have not started series because of that. Some the author writes books in series and then suddenly the next is a novella. Or the series starts with a novella. I usually don't even start a series like that.

Oh well, plenty other books and series to read that don't make me itchy.  ;D

I think you mean Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series.

I agree wholeheartedly - I have to read things in order.  :o

Reading out of order, I just CAN NOT. *shudder*  I think there are many of us.  Atunah probably remembers, but there was some HR series that was intentionally released in reverse chronological order.  I did not realize it until starting book 2.  To quote Atunah again, "Nope nopity nope"  :o ;D

Further mention of Jodi Taylor - I absolutely love that quirky series, but her April 2017 release was formatted so poorly is was unreadable for me and it has never been fixed.  Subsequent releases are apparently back to normal, but I "can't" continue the series because they would now be out of order.  Sigh ...

edit:  Oops, didn't realize I was taking the First Reads thread off track.  Nothing that really interests me again this month.  Maybe the sister's mystery, although it sounds more like a thriller than a mystery to me.
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:10:31 pm by crebel »

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
    I went for the Rysa Walker book, since I've enjoyed some of her other work.
    My second choice - what I would have taken otherwise - is the children's book, what I usually take if nothing interests me.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 06:06:56 pm »
    They mystery and the thriller both have some promise for me. Reviews so far are decent .....

(And crebel I'm with you on the St. Marys series -- I've never read that one 'cause the formatting was awful and won't continue. Probably not even if they fix it.)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Josette

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 01:04:04 am »
    I can suffer through bad formatting (within reason) ;D  as long as the story is interesting.
    If you can't find Josette Sona's books on Amazon for free, please try Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JosetteSona
    My books are always free!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 03:57:42 am »
    I can suffer through bad formatting (within reason) ;D  as long as the story is interesting.

The situation was that there were no indents for paragraphs or spaces between. So it was like it was just one huge run on .... though every now and again there'd be space at the end of a line. It was not worth trying to figure out, for me.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 08:33:25 am »
    Ooh...a science fiction option.

Oh...yet another time travel paradox plot (which is way more fantasy than science, I'm afraid). :(

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 10:56:57 am »
    I went with the time travel book by Rysa Walker. I've always liked that subject, and it seemed better than most of the other dark, depressing offerings.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:48 pm »
    I went with The Missing Sister. No idea when I'll get to reading it though .... lots of things coming available at the library and a couple of pre-orders will drop soon.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
    *wanders in, passes out t-shirts stating I HATE PREQUELS, wanders out*

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 06:46:50 am »
    I didn't get my t-shirt!!

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
    I didn't get my t-shirt!!

didn't you get yours for Christmas?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement